List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Pick 1

• Finn O'Sullivan

• Sam Lalor

• Jagga Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It is North that are trying to deal themselves into the 1st round. The only logical sellers are us and GWS.

By all means North can deal with GWS and take pick 2 and 15 to the draft. If they think that's better than 6 and 11 then by all means they can do it. We can always deal with Essendon if we want to trade into next year.

Worst case for us we don't deal with them and have to choose from (presumably) Langford or Smilie at 6.

The mooted veto from the North board is hot air. They have few options and no capital.

2 and 15
6 and 11 (or maybe 10 if we are generous)
Sit tight and take pick 2.

Which one are you doing?
2 and 15 is better than 6 and 11…

6 + 11 for 2 and a most likely future top 5 pick is a good deal for us surely. They say next year is not as strong but you’d imagine of the top 5/6 players next year… they’re gonna be good.

I want lalor, and we get a choice of any of the next best (fos for me)
Hotton at 10 for a pacey mid/forward
We can get shanahan later, possibly a trainor, maybe a hannaford who knows.

Essendon will be asking every club after the kako bid to try and trade in, hopefully no one bites until our pick 23/24.

We get these guys in, and if one of 23 or 24 are traded into next year that’s 7 first round picks instead of 8 but who we rate the 2 best in one of those drafts. No brainer for me
i think I am more happy where we are

1, 6, 10, 11 , 18 etc...

We're in a very strong position. Big bids (F1s) will come from clubs in the range 10-25 this year. For that reason, we want to have done good business with our first 3-4 picks.

Pick 1: FOS / Lalor
Pick 2: FOS / Lalor
Pick 6+10: Traded out to North for Pick 2 and F1
Pick 11: Harry Armstrong

I'd be very happy with that crop, even though I'm taking a key forward at pick 11.

We can then auction off the next 4 picks (18, 20, 23 and 24) for F1s from Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Essendon (who all have the capital to trade). If we like the offer, we take it. If not, we take the player on our board. It's not rocket science.

Walk away an expectation of 3-4 picks in the top 10 of the 2025 draft (us at #1, then death riding North Melbourne, Essendon/Melbourne, Collingwood). It's not inconceivable that we could end up with #1, #2 and #3 in 2025.

Do it for the melts.
That is complete madness in a strong draft. Why on earth would we do that?

It's the other way around. You only get picks as per your list spots. If you consolidate picks such that you have less than list spots, you just get extra picks added at the end of the draft.

That’s true, but I suspect Richmond will pass. It seems to like using the SSP for the final list spot.

EDIT: my apologies, I didn’t read the part you quoted at all well (honestly thought it was in response to a blues fan posting about Mate Colina). Yes you’re right and that kinda what I was trying to get at. No point splitting a pick that results in more picks than open list spot.

Last edited:
That is complete madness in a strong draft. Why on earth would we do that?
I'm not suggesting that's what will happen, but what could happen (at one extreme).

The other extreme is we hold all our picks and pick the best player at each opportunity. Don't trade out any picks for future 1st rounders. I think that is also unlikely. Personally, I don't want to see us picking up (say) Matt Whitlock for pick 24 just because he's the next best player on our board at that stage of the draft.

Just my thoughts...

2 and 15 is better than 6 and 11…

The story is they want Tauru but don't want to be forced to pick him at 2. Maybe that's just all hot air but it's what's being bandied about.

If it's true then they have to pick him at 2 because he'll be gone by 15. Or trade with us and be pretty confident of getting him at 6.

When you look at it that way it's Tauru and 11 from us or Tauru (at 2) and 15 from GWS. Suddenly 6 and 11 is a better proposition than 2 and 15.

Assuming we go to the draft with pick 1, 2, 10, 18, 20, 23, 24 - this is who I'd like us to take. In brackets will be an alternative pick if the main selection isn't available.
1. FOS
2. Lalor
10. Armstrong (Hotton)
18. Hotton (Lindsay)
20. Shanahan (Jack Whitlock)
23. Hannaford (Dattoli)
24. Dattoli (Gross)

I think if we end up with Hotton on top of FOS and Lalor we have done extremely well but if Armstrong is there at 10 we should take him.

I'm no draft expert but I've loaded up on a lot of forward of centre types who can hit the scoreboard. Our scoring this year was a big issue, so we need to bolster that area big time.

If North don't trade their F1 to us, then is 2 & 15 better than 6 & 15 & 18?

I don't think that 6 & 18 is the deal we would do for 2 though, maybe 6 & 23
The reason I think 2 & 15 is better than 6 & 11 is because I think North are more likely to get their preferred player(s) with the former. They want Tauru, we know that. Well they can guarantee themselves they get him with pick 2, whereas pick 6 carries risk (albeit small) that Dees can grab him at 5. Are they completely enamoured with Armstrong at their second pick or are they flexible? There’s no guarantee he’ll even be there at pick 11, but would they be just as happy with a Trainor, Shanahan or a Whitlock who could be there at pick 15?

My point is - 2 & 15 guarantees them their main player in Tauru and likely someone they would be extremely happy with their second pick. 6 & 11 puts risk on Tauru and the player they would take at 11 could very well have slid to 15 anyway…

If I’m north - I’m trading F1 to GWS. And then weighing up the risk of trading 2 for 6 & 18 after they have done their first trade with GWS…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I’m north - I’m trading F1 to GWS. And then weighing up the risk of trading 2 for 6 & 18 after they have done their first trade with GWS…

Are you allowed to live trade for picks that don't involve the current pick?

I'm not suggesting that's what will happen, but what could happen (at one extreme).

The other extreme is we hold all our picks and pick the best player at each opportunity. Don't trade out any picks for future 1st rounders. I think that is also unlikely. Personally, I don't want to see us picking up (say) Matt Whitlock for pick 24 just because he's the next best player on our board at that stage of the draft.

Just my thoughts...
Regardless of whether we trade with Norf. You'd think we'd be taking 6 players this draft and trading 24 for a future first and more. 23 as well if no Norf deal.

I think we'll be aiming for 3 first round picks next year. Our own and 2 others.

Norf, Essendon & Melbourne the teams that might give up a first round and will probably finish in the bottom 6.

I’d be happy with Langford, good skills, good endurance, mobility, and an aerial threat. We desperately lack aerial presence around the ground. Can go forward and kick goals.
Strikes me as most like a Bont.
I don’t think his speed is a problem, his tank more important.
We also need speed so everyone else we draft needs to be quick!

The reason I think 2 & 15 is better than 6 & 11 is because I think North are more likely to get their preferred player(s) with the former. They want Tauru, we know that. Well they can guarantee themselves they get him with pick 2, whereas pick 6 carries risk (albeit small) that Dees can grab him at 5. Are they completely enamoured with Armstrong at their second pick or are they flexible? There’s no guarantee he’ll even be there at pick 11, but would they be just as happy with a Trainor, Shanahan or a Whitlock who could be there at pick 15?

My point is - 2 & 15 guarantees them their main player in Tauru and likely someone they would be extremely happy with their second pick. 6 & 11 puts risk on Tauru and the player they would take at 11 could very well have slid to 15 anyway…

Sound reasoning other than the assumption that GWS are willing to trade their first pick out of tis draft. Or even their second. I imagine like us with our 20s picks they'll be sitting back waiting to see what someone offers for pick 21.

Sound reasoning other than the assumption that GWS are willing to trade their first pick out of tis draft. Or even their second. I imagine like us with our 20s picks they'll be sitting back waiting to see what someone offers for pick 21.
I see GWS as a (the?) major competitor for pick 2. They could tempt Saints to do 7 or 8 for 15, 16 & F2, then come for 2.
The only way they can get a gun is to draft him.

I used to think that way until I realized that GWS have a decent hand to play.

North can just trade their F1 with GWS and go to the draft with 2 and 15.

Unless you are talking of doing a straight swap 2 for 6 & 24?

I suspect there’s been a few calls into GWS for one of their first round picks.

But remember pick 14 went to Carlton for its F1 and F2. And whilst I suspect that North’s F1 would be more valuable than Carlton’s F1, I still suspect GWS would need more from North Melbourne than just its F1 based on what was given up for the pick before.

So that again is where Richmond trumps on that proposed trade from the HS. Yes it would get Tauru and another first round pick at 2 + 15; but it would likely have give two future picks to get 15 (net loss of a pick). Whereas with Richmond it gives up two and F1 for the same net return of pick (6 and 11).

I see GWS as a (the?) major competitor for pick 2. They could tempt Saints to do 7 or 8 for 15, 16 & F2, then come for 2.

So they offer 7 + 21 for 2? Norf sound like they don’t want our 6 + 20 something offer.

I don't know if you can live trade like that. Draft night gets to pick 2 and GWS say "oh hang on AFL, hang on North, sorry to interrupt your telecast but we just thrash out a completely separate deal with the Saints before you guys do anything".

I don't see St Kilda giving up the chance to have consecutive top-10 picks, especially with the players potentially at those picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Back