List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Presuming we get a 12-16 pick as part of a package for Baz, reckon my early fave might be Xavier Lindsay.

Good winger/flanker prospect with speed and a powerful and skillfull left foot.

As a bonus is a Gippsland boy (as so many of our greats are) from Leongatha (same town as Stevie Wallis, Ian Salmon, Stuart Wigney and many others).
From Leongatha?
Not don't want him /s
(Says the fellow Traralgon lad)

Presuming we get a 12-16 pick as part of a package for Baz, reckon my early fave might be Xavier Lindsay.

Good winger/flanker prospect with speed and a powerful and skillfull left foot.

As a bonus is a Gippsland boy (as so many of our greats are) from Leongatha (same town as Stevie Wallis, Ian Salmon, Stuart Wigney and many others).

He and Moraes both seem like great prospects for an eventual wing role.

We also like a late Birthday, which is why I think someone like Zak Johnson may be of interest as a Fwd/Mid born 24/12/2006 making him only eligible by a week.
Did some stats on this and it seems to be something we value less now. Under Power we've only taken two players with late birthdays in Bailey Smith and Joel Freijah. We've also drafted more 19 year olds and mature age players under Power.

It was more of a thing under McCartney and Dalrymple. They took 8 players with late birthdays.

Using the Bailey Smith pick on one of Lalor/Travaglia and picking up a sliding Moraes. Just dribbled on my phone screen. Apologies.

Did some stats on this and it seems to be something we value less now. Under Power we've only taken two players with late birthdays in Bailey Smith and Joel Freijah. We've also drafted more 19 year olds and mature age players under Power.

It was more of a thing under McCartney and Dalrymple. They took 8 players with late birthdays.
It's also not something that's a particular revelation and the relative age effect is pretty well understood and established by now. It has its history in research on Canadian ice hockey players ... in the 80's, measuring players who were born in the 50's.

Even if it might have been a bit of a thing 10 years ago for our sport's talent development, but it's not any more, and it's already accounted for earlier in the talent pipeline, and it's not a huge factor.

Can see Toby 'run and run and run' Traviglialala appealing as well.
Didn't we take 3 kids in the top 10 for the 2km time trial last draft?
Sammy Power might be sniffing the winds on game-trends and looking for guys who can cover ground and stay on the paddock.

I know the trade period is hard to predict but what sort of draft hand do draft/trade watchers here think we'll have by the time the ND rolls around this year?

Will we have anything serious to work with, or are we just looking at what we might get in the leftovers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the trade period is hard to predict but what sort of draft hand do draft/trade watchers here think we'll have by the time the ND rolls around this year?

Will we have anything serious to work with, or are we just looking at what we might get in the leftovers?
Depends on where Bailey Smith decides to go and what hand they have. I'm hoping for a top ten pick but expecting something 10-15ish with something else coming back later maybe.

I still like Luke Urquhart as a late-pick option. He's not neat (hence he will slide) but he is a competitor and I think that's an innate trait that can't be coached - you either have it, or not.

I still like Luke Urquhart as a late-pick option. He's not neat (hence he will slide) but he is a competitor and I think that's an innate trait that can't be coached - you either have it, or not.
And we need a couple of those types on the list

Been catching up on U18 games.

I haven't seen anyone play better then what Hotton has played this year. Looks a very high end athlete. Speed, agility and leap all look elite to my eye and seems to have decent endurance or at least a good work rate. Has good forward craft and importantly looks a real natural on knowing when go up and when to stay down as well. Has good crumbing ability, can mark overhead, can play midfield or in a half forward role. Could be a steal and the ACL injury might be a blessing for us. If we have pick 15 or thereabouts and he's available not sure I could look past him. I'm sold.

I’ve hardly paid attention to the draft this year. Couple of questions for those who’ve been watching.

Why has Moraes seemingly drifted out of the top group? Seems like a Nic Martin type wingman.

If we get the Cats first and it’s around 18 after Academy bid, etc, would that be a reach for Harrison Oliver?

Would watchers prefer Moraes or Oliver?

Not big on Moreas as a 1st rounder myself. Has good nous for goal, high work rate, good accumulator and has a very good footy brain. What worries me for an outside player is he's not a good kick or really quick. I'd prefer him to have at least one of those attributes if we're spending a 1st rounder on him, not even sure I'd spend our 2nd rounder on him.

I'd much rather Harrison Oliver myself, I wouldn't be against taking him at 18. We are going to lose a bit of that toughness, and attack on the ball with Duryea and Jones nearing retirement and Oliver has plenty of that plus he's a very nice kick.

Not big on Moreas as a 1st rounder myself. Has good nous for goal, high work rate, good accumulator and has a very good footy brain. What worries me for an outside player is he's not a good kick or really quick. I'd prefer him to have at least one of those attributes if we're spending a 1st rounder on him, not even sure I'd spend our 2nd rounder on him.

I'd much rather Harrison Oliver myself, I wouldn't be against taking him at 18. We are going to lose a bit of that toughness, and attack on the ball with Duryea and Jones nearing retirement and Oliver has plenty of that plus he's a very nice kick.
Fair comments re Moraes. We did get Freijah in the third round.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back