VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to write him off as an afl footballer but he has been trounced by Fort and Stanley who themselves get beaten constantly at afl level.

He will get stronger yes. Will he get taller or jump higher or grow longer arms??

He may find a role at afl level but not as a number one ruck imho.

He certainly has talent. Just not sure where he fits in.

That's because he's trying to match strength with two big strong units. Fort might be shit but he's big and strong, Stanley is a reliable journeyman ruck who could use his body.

Are we seriously slamming an 18 year old first year ruck, the one position where everyone agrees takes time to develop?

Does everyone want to know what Tim English was doing in his turning 19-year-old year? Running around playing as an over-ager for South Fremantle Colts (ie their 3rds).

How about Toby Nankervis, the best modern-day example for someone who he should model his game on? Running around for Tasmania in the Division 2 U18 championships, as an overager already 19.

Smith was the fourth of the four out-and-out rucks drafted in the national draft, but he's arguably already shown more than the three drafted ahead of him. Who if we would have drafted any of the other three instead but we still took Smith and much like a few others in this draft it's already looking like a great pick.

Not sure I have seen anyone “ slamming” Smith ? Maybe I have missed something ?
I’m a fan, there’s a lot to like about him going forward , but his physical attributes will be a challenge for him at the top level in my opinion.
Still think he is a big chance to carve out a solid AFL career.

Not trying to write him off as an afl footballer but he has been trounced by Fort and Stanley who themselves get beaten constantly at afl level.

He will get stronger yes. Will he get taller or jump higher or grow longer arms??

He may find a role at afl level but not as a number one ruck imho.

He certainly has talent. Just not sure where he fits in.

I don’t think there’s any shame in getting beaten by Fort and Stanley ant this stage, they’re both 30+ ruckmen that have more than held their own at AFL level, particularly Stanley. Fort just doesn’t get a gig because he’s not good enough forward. He did take it up to Gawn in a final a couple of years ago. Stanley destroyed Luke Jackson a few weeks back. They’re both pretty tough competition for a really young kid.

I was just looking at stats from last year's Semi Final (Footscray v Box Hill).

Bramble had 32 disposals.

I wonder if this is what put him on our radar?
Why on earth were you looking at those particular stats xbox? You really like your numbers man 👍

Lachlan Smith will be fine he has done well for a first year player better then the other three Ruckman taken in the some draft
He's definitely done very well but is also a fast maturer so hard to gauge.

Lack of height/reach combined with a short jump are likely his biggest challenges. But signs he may be able to overcome it with strength and aggression

Obviously I’d love Buss to be playing but in theory if Jones, Lobb & JOD enter round 1 next season playing as they are right now, how does he get a game?

It’s almost like he has to wait until Jones finishes.
I think you're right.

This is why targeting Tom Barrass didn't make any sense. Would've cost an arm and leg for a position we weren't short in.

Lachlan Smith will be fine he has done well for a first year player better then the other three Ruckman taken in the some draft
He was also reportedly better than the other 3 at Under 18 level, but didn’t have the same athletic profile (giving up 10-20cm when including vertical jump and 50% of wingspan) which caused him to be drafted lower and is what most are commenting on here.

Personally I don’t think we’re going to know until years 4+ whether he has the brute physicality and ground level competitiveness to make it, and that’s fine.

He’s had a very solid first year but if Smith is 203cm, I’m easily 6ft+ (hint..I’m not).
I wish people would stop mentioning Smith's height at 203 or even 201cm. Fort is 204cm and he towered over Smith in the match last weekend. The eye test tells us he's the height of a KPP and until I stand next to him I'll stick to that assessment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was obviously good for the VFL team to have won the qualifying final, but for the AFL side would it have been better that they lost and then play a semi final this coming weekend? No VFL game means a missed chance to monitor form (ie for whoever misses out on the last spot for Friday's game), no chance for someone like JJ to gain match fitness etc.

It was obviously good for the VFL team to have won the qualifying final, but for the AFL side would it have been better that they lost and then play a semi final this coming weekend? No VFL game means a missed chance to monitor form (ie for whoever misses out on the last spot for Friday's game), no chance for someone like JJ to gain match fitness etc.
Good point you make.

That's one of the perks of losing in the VFL (aka Brisbane and Geelong).

I can't believe there are suggestions Bailey Smith could be considered for the VFL prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back