Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Oh that is silly.

He had a moment. So has Trac pretty recently. These are young men who might be more than a bit immature given their background.

The conversation about whether we should trade Oliver is reasonable. The conversation about him being a fat loser is offensive. To me at least. He’s not played well. He might or might not do so again. But he has won 2 coaches awards and 4 blueys and I don’t think you do that without hard work.

For me I just want him to get better and feel better. With or without football. Our club might not be the place for that, who knows?

Apologies for a post that you probably think worthy of demonland, but I am a snowflake and I have to do the best I can

He’s had more than a few moments PG. Nothing wrong with liking him, we all have different favourite players. I said a few years ago he’d be the best Melbourne player in club history, but he has burnt us so hard over the past 18 months. It isn’t all his fault, but I have very little patience for someone on over a million a year being this unprofessional and disruptive.

He’s had more than a few moments PG. Nothing wrong with liking him, we all have different favourite players. I said a few years ago he’d be the best Melbourne player in club history, but he has burnt us so hard over the past 18 months. It isn’t all his fault, but I have very little patience for someone on over a million a year being this unprofessional and disruptive.
Yep it's not just this season, he wasn't fit last year, he was getting into arguments with coaches about his training and I really don't think it's a long bow to draw to suggest he was partying with Smith on the eve of the finals considering he was found at his place having a seizure not long after

I know where you are coming from. And the million a year hurts big time when he just isn’t able to play well enough.

I also agree, or suspect, it hurts the “culture”. I’m fair dinkum being genuine here. It can’t be easy for anyone around especially with the high expectations that he just can’t live up to.

I just feel like there is more to the story and hope he gets better for himself. Whether he plays for us or anyone isn’t really paramount. And I think I would say the same for other players, not just Oliver.

Confirmed snowflake

Yep it's not just this season, he wasn't fit last year, he was getting into arguments with coaches about his training and I really don't think it's a long bow to draw to suggest he was partying with Smith on the eve of the finals considering he was found at his place having a seizure not long after
Possible.

Who cares as far as I’m concerned. Something has gone really wrong for this man and I do think it has affected those around him, and I have reason to know this kind of stuff happens. I hope he gets better along with the team. It may not be together but I hope it regardless.

Last edited:
Possible.

Who cares as far as I’m concerned. Something has gone really wrong for this man and I do think it has affected those around him, and I have reason to know this happens. I hope he gets better along with the team. It may not be together but I hope it regardless.
If its purely for health I think its even more beneficial for him to leave. Its a kick up the arse, its a change from his comfort zone, its losing his little safe bubble at melbourne and having to re earn respect at a new place.

Whatever we did to support him in the off season has really been a disaster, hes had a horrific year and its cause factions at the club

I know where you are coming from. And the million a year hurts big time when he just isn’t able to play well enough.

I also agree, or suspect, it hurts the “culture”. I’m fair dinkum being genuine here. It can’t be easy for anyone around especially with the high expectations that he just can’t live up to.

I just feel like there is more to the story and hope he gets better for himself. Whether he plays for us or anyone isn’t really paramount. And I think I would say the same for other players, not just Oliver.

Confirmed snowflake

I honestly think the best thing for him is to leave Melbourne - make a fresh start elsewhere. Our club and coaches/medical stuff are also to blame, it sent such a bad message to the playing group playing him from the first game.

If its purely for health I think its even more beneficial for him to leave. Its a kick up the arse, its a change from his comfort zone, its losing his little safe bubble at melbourne and having to re earn respect at a new place.

Whatever we did to support him in the off season has really been a disaster, hes had a horrific year and its cause factions at the club

I also reckon all the behind the scenes bullshit is partly why Viney is flirting with the idea of leaving - and no doubt a few others are considering going too.

I also reckon all the behind the scenes bullshit is partly why Viney is flirting with the idea of leaving - and no doubt a few others are considering going too.
That and just on field. Losing by almost 100 to freo isnt just bad coaching or a couple of players outta form, thats a team who gave up and that happens when you look across and go why the **** should I run me guts out if that guy wont?

Thats why ANB is such a massive loss, that guy never gave up.

Hmm.. I think his value is at its lowest right now.

I bloody hope so anyway!
Say he has another average off season and then does another 12 week hammy, no clubs ever trading for him again. Right now theres still the small hope he can come back

If it is best for him to leave he should leave and I hope the best for him and say thank you. I suspect it has impacted the club, there things do. Possibly big time. There are other things that have added to this mess though and the club can’t put it all on the shoulders of one pretty damaged young man who has broken down. I hope very much both get better one day. The club and Oliver I mean. It may not be together but I hope it happens.

Last edited:
I honestly think the best thing for him is to leave Melbourne - make a fresh start elsewhere. Our club and coaches/medical stuff are also to blame, it sent such a bad message to the playing group playing him from the first game.
If it helps him then I’m all for it. Just get the guy a bit better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is best for him to leave he should leave and I hope the best for him and say thank you. I suspect it has impacted the club, there things do. Possibly big time. There are other things that have added to this mess though and the club can’t put it all on the shoulders of one pretty young man who has broken down. I hope very much both get better one day. The club and Oliver I mean. It may not be together but I hope it happens.
Its not all his fault but I think he triggered the place to fall apart quicker than I thought it already was anyway. We both emailed Roffey at the start of the year because we were unhappy. Clubs been arrogant and poorly run for a little now, to think they could just drop an unfit Oliver into the side and carry him while we 'chased' a flag was utter incompetency.
It didnt help him, it didnt help the team. Hes run around looking like shit all year, hes not getting fit, hes playing through knee and hand problems while hes letting his teammates down. A strong club makes him train till hes ready, that gets him right and does the best for the team aswell.

The shit game plan, playing through injuries and entitlement all existed pre Oliver but hes been the catalyst to really bring it into focus.

Its not all his fault but I think he triggered the place to fall apart quicker than I thought it already was anyway. We both emailed Roffey at the start of the year because we were unhappy. Clubs been arrogant and poorly run for a little now, to think they could just drop an unfit Oliver into the side and carry him while we 'chased' a flag was utter incompetency.
It didnt help him, it didnt help the team. Hes run around looking like shit all year, hes not getting fit, hes playing through knee and hand problems while hes letting his teammates down. A strong club makes him train till hes ready, that gets him right and does the best for the team aswell.

The shit game plan, playing through injuries and entitlement all existed pre Oliver but hes been the catalyst to really bring it into focus.
I agree with most of this but the catalyst is a bit of a guess. I do strongly suspect that he has had an adverse impact. People need to toughen up around this stuff - two years ago he was a mate and I hope I will be strong enough to look after a mate one day. I’m not really sure I have done so to date but I’ll give it my best.

I say who cares? The players look unhappy and I’d like to see them happy. In a billion different teams if required. A flag was lovely but the wreckage less so.

I agree with most of this but the catalyst is a bit of a guess. I do strongly suspect that he has had an adverse impact. People need to toughen up around this stuff - two years ago he was a mate and I hope I will be strong enough to look after a mate one day. I’m not really sure I have done so to date but I’ll give it my best.

I say who cares? The players look unhappy and I’d like to see them happy. In a billion different teams if required. A flag was lovely but the wreckage less so.
By catalyst I mean hes effected our on field performance by being a passenger, his selection has undoubtedly caused selection integrity issues, Id say Tracs unhappiness around injury management would partly be due to Oliver being made to play through his injuries aswell, Gawn being wheeled out too often and being unhappy is alot ( not all ) to do with Oliver

All of these things existed but I think his profile has brought them all to a head 12 months earlier

Also If i was Oliver and Smiths teammate id still be filthy on them for taking the piss during the finals last year

By catalyst I mean hes effected our on field performance by being a passenger, his selection has undoubtedly caused selection integrity issues, Id say Tracs unhappiness around injury management would partly be due to Oliver being made to play through his injuries aswell, Gawn being wheeled out too often and being unhappy is alot ( not all ) to do with Oliver

All of these things existed but I think his profile has brought them all to a head 12 months earlier
There has totally been a fair bit of stuff go on and now it’s broken in fragments.

The selection thing is bizarre. We don’t have much coming through in the twos as far as I can make out but if Oliver is as banged up as they say, how did it help anyone including him to have him play?

There has been a lot of arrogance and delusion about this club for a few years now. I’ll cheer louder I guess.

There has totally been a fair bit of stuff go on and now it’s broken in fragments.

The selection thing is bizarre. We don’t have much coming through in the twos as far as I can make out but if Oliver is as banged up as they say, how did it help anyone including him to have him play?

There has been a lot of arrogance and delusion about this club for a few years now. I’ll cheer louder I guess.
What I dont really understand is we clearly thought we could win the flag, so why the **** not make Oliver do a pre season and start off in round 5/6 fit. Its like we thought we were the best but also we cant win without him??

The only silver lining is now the club might be forced to face the reality that we arent the best anymore and we have to adapt.

What I dont really understand is we clearly thought we could win the flag, so why the **** not make Oliver do a pre season and start off in round 5/6 fit. Its like we thought we were the best but also we cant win without him??

The only silver lining is now the club might be forced to face the reality that we arent the best anymore and we have to adapt.
Dunno.

I think the reality is you can’t “make” people do things, and you can’t guarantee a person have the resilience to be in the first three every training trial for 10 years.

If I could start my life again I would totally pick an ANB type character - even though recent events suggest that life isn’t all roses however disciplined you are.

I do think Oliver has impacted the club in the last few years. I am even more certain he didn’t plan it or want it.

The club as a whole has been amazingly dumb in such a short space of time - we have literally out-Melbourned Melbourne.

It’s going to take a while to recover. I think it’s more important for the individuals to recover than have a flag.

Dunno.

I think the reality is you can’t “make” people do things, and you can’t guarantee a person have the resilience to be in the first three every training trial for 10 years.

If I could start my life again I would totally pick an ANB type character - even though recent events suggest that life isn’t all roses however disciplined you are.

I do think Oliver has impacted the club in the last few years. I am even more certain he didn’t plan it or want it.

The club as a whole has been amazingly dumb in such a short space of time - we have literally out-Melbourned Melbourne.

It’s going to take a while to recover. I think it’s more important for the individuals to recover than have a flag.
I mean rather than play him round 1, make him do a mini pre season and until his fitness and commitment reaches a certain level hes not playing

You can still like someone and not want them to be your coach. Not reading too far into that.
Yep I had a site manager who was a good bloke but absolute shit house manager. We lost a lot of good workers because of him.

Speaking of work and culture. I remember working at the dc of a big retail company. Technically didn't actually work for the company but worked for a company that was contracted to unload their shipping containers, but we still worked with them and were under their conditions. I remember one theor workers saying the company had great culture. Didn't take long for me to realises the culture sucked and the company didn't give a **** about anything they preached. They preached safety and well being, yet pushed us to work 12-14 hours a week. Some days we look to finish earlier and then they add more containers, was really demoralising at times. Every day was get up, eat breakfast, go to work, work all day, come home, eat dinner, go to bed rinse repeat. Still remember getting told off for breaking a safety rule, this was at about 8.00pm, I'd been working since 6:00am under the pump trying to get work done because they push us. Yeah great culture all safety and well being, maybe for their own staff but not for us. So when I hear great culture it's really triggering me, you know some w***er in a suit that doesn't care about workers coined that term and now everyone says it, it's ****ing meaningless.

Yep I had a site manager who was a good bloke but absolute shit house manager. We lost a lot of good workers because of him.

Speaking of work and culture. I remember working at the dc of a big retail company. Technically didn't actually work for the company but worked for a company that was contracted to unload their shipping containers, but we still worked with them and were under their conditions. I remember one theor workers saying the company had great culture. Didn't take long for me to realises the culture sucked and the company didn't give a **** about anything they preached. They preached safety and well being, yet pushed us to work 12-14 hours a week. Some days we look to finish earlier and then they add more containers, was really demoralising at times. Every day was get up, eat breakfast, go to work, work all day, come home, eat dinner, go to bed rinse repeat. Still remember getting told off for breaking a safety rule, this was at about 8.00pm, I'd been working since 6:00am under the pump trying to get work done because they push us. Yeah great culture all safety and well being, maybe for their own staff but not for us. So when I hear great culture it's really triggering me, you know some w***er in a suit that doesn't care about workers coined that term and now everyone says it, it's ****ing meaningless.
Wasn't Aldi DC by chance?

It seems the loss of Burgess has had an impact on Oliver. Im probably not as harsh on Clarry as others (which is fine) and don't know enough to compare Griffith and Burgess, but the conditioning and the management of injures has not been the same since Burgess left.

It seems the loss of Burgess has had an impact on Oliver. Im probably not as harsh on Clarry as others (which is fine) and don't know enough to compare Griffith and Burgess, but the conditioning and the management of injures has not been the same since Burgess left.
What an absolutely insane bow to draw
Clarry was twirling the glass BBQ because Darren Burgess left a few years ago

We didn't have any injuries under Burgess. You can say that's a matter of conditioning but it's also not something he can replicate at the Crows.

Take Matt Crouch, whose season ended in June after he got a knock in the shoulder. He played out the rest of the game and it was discovered afterwards that he would need surgery.

Not defending our injury management btw, it's obviously been shit but there's more to it than Burgess good; Griffith bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back