Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Honestly Viney must be likely going if Clarko is willing to say this publicly IMO
See, I'm reading Clarkson's backflip as they've already tried and failed with Viney, but I could be wrong.

Honestly Viney must be likely going if Clarko is willing to say this publicly IMO
I posted his presser from the day before when he was asked about Viney and he said "he didn't want to name any of North's targets as it was unfair to the person."

A day is a long time in football.

Here's some Harry Armstrong stuff to get you started:

I watched Vic Metro v Vic Country (I think) a while back... lot's of talent, but Armstrong's performance really struck me the most. Lot's to like... 195, mobile, nice leap and a good left boot... but it was his love of the contest that really stood out. He relished the contact. I'd love to see him up forward with JVR.

See, I'm reading Clarkson's backflip as they've already tried and failed with Viney, but I could be wrong.
I didn't even see your post. Just give me a Sandra Sully badge now.

Get Dev Robertson from Brissy? Good tank, works hard, defensively minded, pretty well rounded but stuck behind too many mids at Brissy and won't get a game next year when the next Ashcroft comes in.

Could potentially come in and play Nibblers role? Isn't as zippy or tidy as Nibs but works hard and could come cheap.

He could also be a bit too much of the same.

A real decision moment for the club.

Load up for one more tilt with this core and try to get Houston, Battle etc.?

Or move on and plan for the next viable premiership chance to be post Gawn and May. Let Viney go. ANB already gone. Question marks on Oliver and Trac.

Try to get some talent in to protect against the talent drain with Tassie’s arrival.

You just know that the club will load up and do a Hawthorn at the end of their era.

A real decision moment for the club.

Load up for one more tilt with this core and try to get Houston, Battle etc.?

Or move on and plan for the next viable premiership chance to be post Gawn and May. Let Viney go. ANB already gone. Question marks on Oliver and Trac.

Try to get some talent in to protect against the talent drain with Tassie’s arrival.

You just know that the club will load up and do a Hawthorn at the end of their era.
Houston has said hes no longer interested in coming here mate.

He mentioned about 4 other blokes with him.
He did, but it feels like Viney is the one they've got the most traction on. Tom Morris was on Ben Gibson's podcast today and he basically said Viney will probably stay at Melbourne but he's left the door ajar. Could all change if North offer a decent enough contract. But we want to keep him.

Assuming we don’t grab a Chris Dawes type for one billion dollars and max out the cap, I assume we could pay Oliver and/or Trac more of their salary next year - which might make Oliver easier to trade? Or Trac if he stays angry and checks out?

Actually forget it. That’s a terrible idea. Removes a good portion of their incentive to stay and make it work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I can't work out, with all the speculation about Oliver and the burden of his contract etc. is this: surely there must be a bunch of clauses he has breached in his player contract by now (and will continue to breach) that would allow the club to terminate his contract? Am I missing something or are player contracts much more lenient than I thought?

Houston has said hes no longer interested in coming here mate.
Has he?

I only read stuff that was pretty speculative along the “Melbourne are totally a mess other clubs may consider pursuing the talented …”

Mind you I didn’t read very far so I might have missed something

One thing I can't work out, with all the speculation about Oliver and the burden of his contract etc. is this: surely there must be a bunch of clauses he has breached in his player contract by now (and will continue to breach) that would allow the club to terminate his contract? Am I missing something or are player contracts much more lenient than I thought?
Not sure how lenient - though most employees contracts would probably oblige them to consider circumstances/medical stuff like that before moving to terminate.

I think they may have just backed themselves in to turn it around in this instance.

He's going to be 32 end of year. We have already filled our quota of plodding mids. Hard pass
He can still play... and we go to the draft this year for Mids.

Next year trade Oli for draft picks, to totally reshape our list.

Alternatively in 2025... make a trade IF Oli gets back to his peak, for Mac Andrew and we have our LJackson replacement, and one who can replace Gawn when he's done.

Parker will help in our last quest for the top 4... next season. 2 Years will see him done. And will benefit us in that time-frame.
He has class with ball in hand; better than OLI.

We really need to lineup some interstate Victorian's coming out of contract,

make them some offers they can refuse and that their club can't match. When's Finn Callaghan out of contract? Next year?

It's the talls we don't want to wait on to develop, go hard now for BIG Mac. Promise him the world, this year, for when he comes out of contract, next year.

Exactly what we need right now.

I’m not advocating for him, just using him as a point that cap space is the last thing we need.

Morris just reported we had our 2024/2025 on the table for Houston so thank ****
This is more a coach trying to save his bacon, with a hail-mary, than trying to set the club up, for future years in the finals campaigns.

Not sure how lenient - though most employees contracts would probably oblige them to consider circumstances/medical stuff like that before moving to terminate.

I think they may have just backed themselves in to turn it around in this instance.

Oh yeah plus if we terminate his contract then Geelong get him for free

Scared stiff of a 2 year TMac deal to go with Viney's 2 year extension. #demonspirit
I would give Viney 2 yrs and that should do it. Parker also. That will see us past Oli end or 2025.
Vins and Parker can rotate forward and off the bench.

Gives us time to continue development of our kids, coming in for a couple, here and there.

TMc and Melk... I would definitely give 1 more season, each.

Saying byebye to Scache, Hunter and Billings.. and any other NQR's.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back