List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)
  • Future First (Traded to Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Picks 40, 54, 65 (Traded to Essendon)
Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent from St Kilda)
  • Pick 9 (Traded from Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded from Essendon)
On-traded:
  • Pick 28 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Pick 46 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)

Last edited:
That was kinda the problem with trading all of those picks earlier. Not only did we price ourselves out of Derksen but probably out of Sharp too.
Yes we overpaid for pick 9. Should have kept 40 to get Sharp. Bombers had to deal with us OR risk the Dees bidding on Kano. Lamb blinked again.

Need the lions to accept 49 for Sharp. Should happen.

Looking like Carlton got pick 3. These big clubs continue to rort other clubs. Probably helps us though as they are super keen on FOS.

Good chance Smith drops to us which would be perfect and just what we need. Likened to Butters with his agility and ability to get from contest to contest.

1. Rich: Lalor
2. North: ? (Unlikely they take another small nimble mid, supposedly keen on Tauru).
3. Carlton: FOS
4. Crowd: Draper
5. Dees: Smith

Only way it doesn’t happen is if North split pick 2 for someone who wants Smith. St Kilda want big bodied mids so will likely take Smillie or Langford.

I'm surprised that we couldn't work out something with the Bombers. I guess they also have a player in mind as well, but given that they'll need points for Kako and they currently only have pick 31 after that, I would have thought a pick 9 for a future first plus our picks 40 + 54 + 65 would give them enough points for Kako this year (assuming he's not picked in the top 8) plus another first rounder for next year, and they still keep their pick 31.

Well there you go, the brain fart I had on Friday night actually came to fruition, shame we had to throw in pick 28 as well as the points haul was plenty...

Yes we overpaid for pick 9. Should have kept 40 to get Sharp. Bombers had to deal with us OR risk the Dees bidding on Kano. Lamb blinked again.

So if 49 for Sharp 'should happen', why should we have held onto 40? As I mentioned earlier, Pick 40 is very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things:

Last five years:

Pick 40: Kane McAuliffe, Caleb Mitchell, Corey Warner, Samson Ryan, Jay Rantall
Pick 46: Bodie Ryan, Jack O'Sullivan, Alastair Lord, Tyler Brockman, Hugo Ralphsmith
Pick 54: Archie Roberts, Jayden Davey, Eric Benning, Joel Western, Bigoa Nyuon
Pick 65: Taj Woewodin, Tom Hutchesson, Darcy Fort, Tom North, Patrick Kerr

Third and fourth rounders are functionally meaningless, save for the once in a blue moon hits. Who cares.

"Tim Lamb shouldn't have overpaid Essendon. He should have overpaid Brisbane instead."

That was kinda the problem with trading all of those picks earlier. Not only did we price ourselves out of Derksen but probably out of Sharp too.
How did we price ourselves out of two blokes no one had heard of a month ago. Peak melting

Looking like Carlton got pick 3. These big clubs continue to rort other clubs. Probably helps us though as they are super keen on FOS.

Good chance Smith drops to us which would be perfect and just what we need. Likened to Butters with his agility and ability to get from contest to contest.

1. Rich: Lalor
2. North: ? (Unlikely they take another small nimble mid, supposedly keen on Tauru).
3. Carlton: FOS
4. Crowd: Draper
5. Dees: Smith

Only way it doesn’t happen is if North split pick 2 for someone who wants Smith. St Kilda want big bodied mids so will likely take Smillie or Langford.
It's all coming up Melbourne. Would be very happy with Jagga at 5.

Could today be the day we land some more LITTLE FISHIES :tropicalfish:?
Maybe a little fish, 🐠, no plural, don't have enough little pickies for multiple little fishies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The power rightly making sure they are compensated for a star contracted player leaving. Jack Lukosius and Atkins basically cap dumps. I actually rate Joe Richards however understand he is steak knives in all this.

West Coast have lost the plot (their board is almost as good as Port's yesterday)
I wouldnt be that happy as a fan but I get what they are doing wanting to bring some mid age vets in to improve onfield performance, cant all be kids , see: North the past 10 years. They might have their eyes on a WA kid also and think this draft is pretty even like everyone else so happy to slide way back. McQualter would be aware what hes getting in Baker too.

For arguments sake, they turn pick 3 into Bo Allan, Baker and Owies. Really not as bad as people are making it out to be.

We were saying they should be splitting picks this time last year and this is the perfect draft to do it in.

I wouldnt be that happy as a fan but I get what they are doing wanting to bring some mid age vets in to improve onfield performance, cant all be kids , see: North the past 10 years. They might have their eyes on a WA kid also and think this draft is pretty even like everyone else so happy to slide way back. McQualter would be aware what hes getting in Baker too.
At the end of the day though, Baker is a 27-year-old role player (a good one, but a role player nonetheless) – he should never be part of discussions regarding Pick 3.

West Coast need more high-end talent, because outside of Reid, Allen and maybe Waterman, it's still pretty grim. Their fans are still reeling from splitting Pick 3 in 2022 (Sheezel) for Picks 9 (Ginbey) and 14 (Hewett), so I get the angst.

Reeks of a ex-Richmond list manager and ex-Richmond coach playing favourites to the detriment of the overall list.

At the end of the day though, Baker is a 27-year-old role player (a good one, but a role player nonetheless) – he should never be part of discussions regarding Pick 3.

West Coast need more high-end talent, because outside of Reid, Allen and maybe Waterman, it's still pretty grim. Their fans are still reeling from splitting Pick 3 in 2022 (Sheezel) for Picks 9 (Ginbey) and 14 (Hewett), so I get the angst.

Reeks of a ex-Richmond list manager and ex-Richmond coach playing favourites to the detriment of the overall list.
So more boys-club corruption

I think Baker is better than a role player. The high end talent argument is not really that applicable in this draft compared to others.

I think Baker is better than a role player. The high end talent argument is not really that applicable in this draft compared to others.
It's an even draft, but there's still a fair gap between Pick 3 and 12, especially since 12 will be 15/16 by the time they make the pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back