Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
So Caleb Daniel would rather see out his contract at the Dogs than come to us lol. We can't even land a D Grade fish.

So Caleb Daniel would rather see out his contract at the Dogs than come to us lol. We can't even land a D Grade fish.
That's why we're going to rename the club as the LITTLE FISHIES :tropicalfish:.

The "external" review will find that the club is actually really good and well led. We should show players that refuse to come here the review as proof that its not as bad as people say. That will change their minds :thumbsupv1:

We don't need a key forward. What we need is the cattle around the likes of JVR and Turner. Hawthorn literally just won a final with Calsher Dear and Nick Watson as their main goalkickers and both are first year players.

We have one genuine small forward and that's Kozzie Pickett. I'm still a bit unsure on Chandler but clearly he's programmed to fairly defensive minded first so hopefully a new forwards coach will release the shackles a little.

With where the game is going it's all about forward half turnovers, ground ball gets and speed inside 50. We have none of that.

Geelong have:
Mannagh
Miers
Stengle
Close

Hawthorn
Watson
Ginnivan
Connor McDonald

GWS
Toby Greene
Brent Daniels
Darcy Jones
Toby McMullin

Sydney
Tom Papley
Will Hayward
Oliver Florent
Isaac Heeney

Brisbane
Cameron
Lohmann
Rayner
Ah-Chee
Bailey

We don't need a key forward. What we need is the cattle around the likes of JVR and Turner. Hawthorn literally just won a final with Calsher Dear and Nick Watson as their main goalkickers and both are first year players.

We have one genuine small forward and that's Kozzie Pickett. I'm still a bit unsure on Chandler but clearly he's programmed to fairly defensive minded first so hopefully a new forwards coach will release the shackles a little.

With where the game is going it's all about forward half turnovers, ground ball gets and speed inside 50. We have none of that.

Geelong have:
Mannagh
Miers
Stengle
Close

Hawthorn
Watson
Ginnivan
Connor McDonald

GWS
Toby Greene
Brent Daniels
Darcy Jones
Toby McMullin

Sydney
Tom Papley
Will Hayward
Oliver Florent
Isaac Heeney

Brisbane
Cameron
Lohmann
Rayner
Ah-Chee
Bailey
I'll have 1 Geelong and 3 Giants please.

Geelong have:
Mannagh
Miers
Stengle
Close

Hawthorn
Watson
Ginnivan
Connor McDonald

GWS
Toby Greene
Brent Daniels
Darcy Jones
Toby McMullin

Sydney
Tom Papley
Will Hayward
Oliver Florent
Isaac Heeney

Brisbane
Cameron
Lohmann
Rayner
Ah-Chee
Bailey

Couldn't agree more. Need pace, pressure and goal smarts.

This also requires a mindset shift from Goody, who for some reason plays three talls + Fritsch + Melk up forward.

I'd much prefer two talls, Fritsch and then three smalls.

Move Petty back too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wouldn't matter if we had the best small forward in the league our midfield is dog shit and we move the ball slowly. Until we change the way we play completely and stop talking about contest and defence we'll continue to fall behind the AFL trends.

In 2022 Sam Mitchell said hawthorn needed to try and play the next version of footy cause they wouldn't be better than Melbourne and Geelong at what we were good at it. He's done that, meanwhile we are still trying to be Melbourne 2021

**** even typing this makes me hate us even more

Wouldn't matter if we had the best small forward in the league our midfield is dog shit and we move the ball slowly. Until we change the way we play completely and stop talking about contest and defence we'll continue to fall behind the AFL trends.

In 2022 Sam Mitchell said hawthorn needed to try and play the next version of footy cause they wouldn't be better than Melbourne and Geelong at what we were good at it. He's done that, meanwhile we are still trying to be Melbourne 2021

Big smile, Kent!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pillars of our list build and game plan when Todd Viney came in and Roos took over prioritised contest, defence and competitiveness. Goody maybe iterated it but the foundations were set pre stand rule and the AFL influencing the game for “higher scoring”. In 2024 it was time to adapt or die. Chris Scott binned chip mark after 2021. Goody reverted and is dieing on the hill with an outdated brand. I think it comes back to trying to maximise the impact of Gawn, May, Lever who prefer the ball on their head.

We’ve got some horrible kicks on the list but we also haven’t trained and prioritised risky transition enough. We need to value foot skills and decision making in our next wave of recruits (Windsor, good start) and keep trying to play a style that requires more risk taking by foot as a way to open up space inside F50 and get better looks at goal before defences can set up. To your point, with this idea you don’t need Jason Dunstall at FF kicking 60+ a season.

However, I don’t think Goody is a good enough coach tactically to effectively evolve the game plan to catch up, let alone try to get ahead. If he is to see out his contract we need to get in another tactician around him.

The pillars of our list build and game plan when Todd Viney came in and Roos took over prioritised contest, defence and competitiveness. Goody maybe iterated it but the foundations were set pre stand rule and the AFL influencing the game for “higher scoring”. In 2024 it was time to adapt or die. Chris Scott binned chip mark after 2021. Goody reverted and is dieing on the hill with an outdated brand. I think it comes back to trying to maximise the impact of Gawn, May, Lever who prefer the ball on their head.

We’ve got some horrible kicks on the list but we also haven’t trained and prioritised risky transition enough. We need to value foot skills and decision making in our next wave of recruits (Windsor, good start) and keep trying to play a style that requires more risk taking by foot as a way to open up space inside F50 and get better looks at goal before defences can set up. To your point, with this idea you don’t need Jason Dunstall at FF kicking 60+ a season.

However, I don’t think Goody is a good enough coach tactically to effectively evolve the game plan to catch up, let alone try to get ahead. If he is to see out his contract we need to get in another tactician around him.
As I have said, although I doubt that'll happen, I'd rather Bucks or Hodgey as a coach. I'd sound out Silk as well.

Goody fully evolved the gameplan from 2018 when we were one of the highest scoring teams playing very aggressively - however, I'm not sure he can do it again when he's still trying to re-create 2021.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago and got laughed at. I heard we have a 2 year deal on the table with another couple of clubs also interested. Supposedly he's not happy with Brendon Goddard. He's happy looking around. Hopefully our offer isn't too good to refuse. Doubt he'll cost us anything though. Probably better than the tall depth we currently have in the F50. Pretty obvious with all the sh** going on at the club right now, we're not landing a big fish. I think Membrey has 1 year left with Saints but they haven't offered anything beyond that.
Peter Wright is not happy at Essondon

comical that when we need a complete list reshape that the biggest names we are being linked to are fringe plodders and overagers.

Watch our list go backwards yet again this offseason, already have ANB on the way out and add Brayshaw, Smith and Ben Brown over the last 12 months.

Already looking like our list will be in worse shape in 2025 than it was going into 2024.

Jake Stringer OFFICIALLY on the market (or at least according to Reddit).
Get him Tim Lamb or whatever your name is. Stringer, then Tarryn Thomas. Make Clayton Oliver captain!
"If anyone wants to question our environment, come down to Revolver Nightclub on Chapel St and see it for yourself!"

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back