List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Jobe Shanahan (194cm, Key Forward, Allies)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on, imagine thinking Logan McDonald is going to fix our issues. I like the guy but 2 goals a game under this coaching staff and with who he has kicking him the ball seems generous.

Why worry about Logan McDonald when we could’ve drafted a bloke like Logan Morris in the 2nd round.

Spot on, imagine thinking Logan McDonald is going to fix our issues. I like the guy but 2 goals a game under this coaching staff and with who he has kicking him the ball seems generous.
Yep
I was going under the assumption that we just kick 80% of the ball in his direction and he kicks 50 while Fritsch and JVR kick 18 each

Battle is an UFA.
Plenty of mids around we can get.
Getting McDonald would mean our primary key forward stocks are sorted for 10 years. It's not like we're saying top up with Tom Lynch, or resurrect Tomahawk, we're talking about a 22 year old.

There's your 2024 trade/draft plan.

I don't know why people think we can't do more than one thing?
I think the big problem securing a high quality forward now is that we're clearly on the decline. Other clubs look way more attractive. We still don't have a home base FFS. We have a coaching panel who can't make a forwardline functional. We'd have to throw ridiculous money at one and pay too much in draft capital which will in turn f* up our draft position for 2 years and tie us to a lot of salary cap.

I think JVR has shown enough to suggest we can build around him. We need smart forwards, not necessarily key talls. Need to do a bit of Moneyball next couple of years. Over to you Tim Lamb.

Truth be told we arnt bringing anyone of note to our club now as we fall into the pitts of the league. We are just better rejuvenating and hopefully have a swing in 3-4 years time when Trac, Oliver, JvR, Pickett, Mcvee and co are still around.

Truth be told we arnt bringing anyone of note to our club now as we fall into the pitts of the league. We are just better rejuvenating and hopefully have a swing in 3-4 years time when Trac, Oliver, JvR, Pickett, Mcvee and co are still around.
Agree. Assuming this coaching group is sacked/leave within the next 2 years

Battle is an UFA.
Plenty of mids around we can get.
Getting McDonald would mean our primary key forward stocks are sorted for 10 years. It's not like we're saying top up with Tom Lynch, or resurrect Tomahawk, we're talking about a 22 year old.

There's your 2024 trade/draft plan.

I don't know why people think we can't do more than one thing?

Logan McDonald won't come here unless he is grossly overpaid.

Melbourne won't be a destinaion club until they fix their training base situation. No one is excited about the prospect of an hour long drive to a shit hole in Cranbourne if they have other options available.

Melbourne won't be a destinaion club until they fix their training base situation. No one is excited about the prospect of an hour long drive to a shit hole in Cranbourne if they have other options available.
It's an issue. I still can't believe this hasn't been handled. Absolute nuffie club

I think the big problem securing a high quality forward now is that we're clearly on the decline. Other clubs look way more attractive. We still don't have a home base FFS. We have a coaching panel who can't make a forwardline functional. We'd have to throw ridiculous money at one and pay too much in draft capital which will in turn f* up our draft position for 2 years and tie us to a lot of salary cap.

I think JVR has shown enough to suggest we can build around him. We need smart forwards, not necessarily key talls. Need to do a bit of Moneyball next couple of years. Over to you Tim Lamb.

I don't see how your two paragraphs match up tbh? We're on the decline and a total mess and we should do a bit of Moneyball trading?

Come on, this is a pretty silly take. We somehow managed to recruit multiple gun players to the club while not having a perfect training base setup.

Trading up for run of the mill inside mid with trash disposal who can’t get a game ahead of Billings, Laurie, Sparrow or Chandler = bad

Trading up for key forward we desperately need = good

Isn’t that hard to work out the difference
Yeah nah, you've completely moved the goal posts because no players have come through with the picks we actually had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how your two paragraphs match up tbh? We're on the decline and a total mess and we should do a bit of Moneyball trading?
Never said we're a total mess. Those are your words.

We are on the decline. Doesn't mean we are going to bottom out like Norf. We have some quality pieces. Instead of going after a big fish, how about going after 3 or 4 players who fill holes, won't break the bank etc. Not easy to do and clearly Lamb has struggled to do that last few years. But I don't see any point in throwing all our draft picks and cash on 1 forward. If we're smart with FA and recruiting/drafting, nonreason why we can't be back on the climb over 2 years.

Morris isn't a full forward and is playing next to Daniher and Hipwood lol

If you're writing off Tholstrup maybe check the VFL thread, kid is playing well.
191cms lol Bailey Fritsch is 188. Some people just love to complain

Yeah, no way I'm keen on blowing what looks like a reasonably high first and another potentially high first for one KPF at this point in our list build (especially one that goes at a goal and a half a game in the best attacking side in the comp).

It doesn't fix the litany of issues across the field that we have, and it would indicate that we feel like we're one piece away from another flag. Yes, you can make other moves, but two firsts is basically all of your meaningful capital (you're not getting anything of note for the likes of Salem, Sparrow, Petty [at this point], Chandler, Oliver [with that contract in this form], Laurie etc).

Obviously, it would be good to have another KPF next to JVR when we're competing again, but (and it's been done to death) if you put prime Carey in our current side with the way we move the ball, we wouldn't be winning the flag.

There's a lot of issues for us to fix to get up to contender status again:
  • KPD/s with May reaching the end, Tomlinson likely out the door, Petty maybe too
  • Inside mids (preferably versatile types that can play both inside and outside) with Viney looking cooked, Sparrow not improving, Oliver going backwards
  • Another genuine crumber so that we can play Pickett up the ground more
  • An attacking HB or two with good foot skills (can move Rivers and/or McVee up the field to address the one-dimensional midfield). Salem isn't damaging, Bowey doesn't get enough of the ball to have a consistent impact.

Rather than throwing all of our eggs in one basket, it would be far more responsible to balance our recruiting so that we can work towards addressing all of our list needs.

With Gawn, May and Viney reaching the end, the window is too. The club needs to be realistic about where we're at.

That, or sack Goodwin, recruit a couple of quick-fixes and make one more run at it before those guys finish up.

It doesn't fix the litany of issues across the field that we have, and it would indicate that we feel like we're one piece away from another flag.

This probably sums it up best. Would be head in the sand of the situation we're in. Rebuild on the run, don't suck the juice completely out of a list that isn't even contending anyway

Never said we're a total mess. Those are your words.

We are on the decline. Doesn't mean we are going to bottom out like Norf. We have some quality pieces. Instead of going after a big fish, how about going after 3 or 4 players who fill holes, won't break the bank etc. Not easy to do and clearly Lamb has struggled to do that last few years. But I don't see any point in throwing all our draft picks and cash on 1 forward. If we're smart with FA and recruiting/drafting, nonreason why we can't be back on the climb over 2 years.

This does kinda say like you're saying a mess mate: "I think the big problem securing a high quality forward now is that we're clearly on the decline. Other clubs look way more attractive. We still don't have a home base FFS. We have a coaching panel who can't make a forwardline functional."

I get the frustration with the recruiting over the last few years, but reality is Lamb's hands were pretty tied in that regard given the list we have/had, the high ladder finishes, and then a bit of bad luck with things like Smith, Brayshaw and Oliver. Plus, important to consider we've managed to bring through some decent young talent in that time, which makes me disagree that we are on a big decline.

As I've mentioned above though, I'm not sure why some seem to think if we land a good key forward then we can't do anything else? We potentially have a lot more freedom this year in terms of salary cap and draft collateral pending player trades so there's no reason why we can't address multiple issues.

This does kinda say like you're saying a mess mate: "I think the big problem securing a high quality forward now is that we're clearly on the decline. Other clubs look way more attractive. We still don't have a home base FFS. We have a coaching panel who can't make a forwardline functional."

I get the frustration with the recruiting over the last few years, but reality is Lamb's hands were pretty tied in that regard given the list we have/had, the high ladder finishes, and then a bit of bad luck with things like Smith, Brayshaw and Oliver. Plus, important to consider we've managed to bring through some decent young talent in that time, which makes me disagree that we are on a big decline.

As I've mentioned above though, I'm not sure why some seem to think if we land a good key forward then we can't do anything else? We potentially have a lot more freedom this year in terms of salary cap and draft collateral pending player trades so there's no reason why we can't address multiple issues.
Don't edit his post mate quote the whole thing ;)

I’m not overly keen on Phillips. He’s only really being discussed as he was a pick 3. Don’t mind the fact he hasn’t done anything. Clearly was rated highly in his draft. But there’s not many if any who have gone that high and gone on to another club to come good. Sounds like he’ll be another Billings type list clogger.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back