List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Jobe Shanahan (194cm, Key Forward, Allies)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Blues fans seem to be the most offended as they have a couple coming through this year. Reality is that this should have been sorted years ago. The AFL have NFI what they're doing most of the time. I mean they let Dogs get JUH at #1 with bottom end picks, then tell us the next season we can't take Mac Andrew unless he does over pick 40 or something! I mean how is any of this fair? It all just seems made up on the run. Like the rules. When i actually sit down to watch a full game these days, i don't even know the rules anymore. Changes constantly.
Would you say that its "moving the goalposts" as it were

course diss GIF

Too little, too late.
So does this include Gus? He's got 4 years still to pay out after this year. What a dumb contract by Tim Lamb and the club knowing his concussion issues. Ridiculous. This and the Oliver contract looking dumber and dumber by the week. Someone give Tim Lamb his marching orders before he really bends over the club.

So does this include Gus? He's got 4 years still to pay out after this year. What a dumb contract by Tim Lamb and the club knowing his concussion issues. Ridiculous. This and the Oliver contract looking dumber and dumber by the week. Someone give Tim Lamb his marching orders before he really bends over the club.
Could be wrong but my reading is you get 3 years of relief regardless of contract length and any other years beyond that the club is on their own.

Could be wrong but my reading is you get 3 years of relief regardless of contract length and any other years beyond that the club is on their own.

Yeah that's what it looks like. So I'm assuming we have to wear 1 more full year of his contract. What a disaster tbh. Restricts us from getting a pretty solid player. Really costly contract.

"In the year immediately following the retirement, the max threshold will be 90 per cent, the second year the max threshold will be 75 per cent and in the third year the max threshold will be 50 per cent."

Yep, just talked about it on SEN, after the 3rd year it's 0 discount. So in 2028 we'll be paying full whack for Gus - which will be interesting if it's loaded either front or back.

That's just the zoning system again.

You're assuming that junior academies would be tied to postcodes again.

No reason why academies could not be run like overseas leagues where clubs need to scout and recruit players, and the kids get paid and are free to move between academies that suit their needs.

The whole purpose of the draft is to disperse junior talent and to prevent bidding wars, so in that sense the AFL draft is completely stuffed. There is no even dispersement of junior talent when prospects are already committed to other clubs. Then you also have clubs offering inducements for prospects to nominate them (i.e. Collingwood offering Naicos additional years and cash before he had even signed with them).

"In the year immediately following the retirement, the max threshold will be 90 per cent, the second year the max threshold will be 75 per cent and in the third year the max threshold will be 50 per cent."

Yep, just talked about it on SEN, after the 3rd year it's 0 discount. So in 2028 we'll be paying full whack for Gus - which will be interesting if it's loaded either front or back.
Weird one but like that it discourages these stupid long term deals somewhat.

Yeah that's what it looks like. So I'm assuming we have to wear 1 more full year of his contract. What a disaster tbh. Restricts us from getting a pretty solid player. Really costly contract.
Our list in 4 years time is hardly set in stone. Bit of a handicap but it's our own fault, don't think it's much of an excuse for us to not go after a decent player down the track.

Honestly we've been let off the hook massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird one but like that it discourages these stupid long term deals somewhat.

Gonna be interesting. Can already imagine the backlash when a gun player with a concussion or two gets offered a 1 or 2 year deal when normally they'd expect a long one. Or a rich team offering a trade target with concussion history a long contract cos they can afford the payouts. Whole thing is a no win situation I reckon.

You're assuming that junior academies would be tied to postcodes again.

No reason why academies could not be run like overseas leagues where clubs need to scout and recruit players, and the kids get paid and are free to move between academies that suit their needs.

The whole purpose of the draft is to disperse junior talent and to prevent bidding wars, so in that sense the AFL draft is completely stuffed. There is no even dispersement of junior talent when prospects are already committed to other clubs. Then you also have clubs offering inducements for prospects to nominate them (i.e. Collingwood offering Naicos additional years and cash before he had even signed with them).
No family is moving from WA to Victoria so their 15 year old might get recruited in a few years time they'd just join the academy they're close to. The draft along with the salary cap is the best thing the AFL ever did for equalisation they've just ****ed it with a bunch of compromises.

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting. Can already imagine the backlash when a gun player with a concussion or two gets offered a 1 or 2 year deal when normally they'd expect a long one. Or a rich team offering a trade target with concussion history a long contract cos they can afford the payouts. Whole thing is a no win situation I reckon.
Contract terms have turned into an arms race. I don't think this will do much to curb that tbh but it's a start.

Your second point definitely raises a concern especially if you can move that money from the later part of their contract around.

Fine print important and knowing the AFL they've designed this policy with 67,000 loopholes

No family is moving from WA to Victoria so their 15 year old might get recruited in a few years time they'd just join the academy they're close to. The draft along with the salary cap is the best thing the AFL ever did for equalisation they've just ****ed it with a bunch of compromises.

Yeah, right...

Not like it is not already happening to a degree with some kids being sent interstate to board at Melbourne private schools to advance their AFL career.

If the draft is to work, then all compromises need to be disbanded - father-sons, NGA, and free agency compensation. As long as those remain then the draft is just pageantry and fails its purpose of dispersing junior/amateur talent into the league.

Yeah, right...

Not like it is not already happening to a degree with some kids being sent interstate to board at Melbourne private schools to advance their AFL career.

If the draft is to work, then all compromises need to be disbanded - father-sons, NGA, and free agency compensation. As long as those remain then the draft is just pageantry and fails its purpose of dispersing junior/amateur talent into the league.
I'm fine with that. I think the alternative you're proposing would just be a way to make the rich clubs richer.

Don't ditch the draft but clubs should be able to take on 5-10 young players who go undrafted every year and bring them into their training. Definitely find some more kids who can play who just need a pro environment

I love that but isn't that what the rookie draft is supposedly for, before it became a vehicle to house mature agers and old farts?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love that but isn't that what the rookie draft is supposedly for, before it became a vehicle to house mature agers and old farts?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah but it's 2-3 kids. Should be able to grab as many as you want and chuck them into an U21s system

He's a gun but it depends on where our cap is at.

Can't say no to gun forwards if we can get him with just $$$ but also don't want to stuff our cap when we should be looking at a list re-generation/re-build.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back