List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – where everybody gets a ludicrously long extension!

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it staggering they’d do it when they were most likely aware of him being very loose off the field.
Feels like we acted like a very small club, manager 'threatened' to look at other offers and we panicked and gave him what he wanted. The Brayshaw retirement could be a blessing in disguise on us keeping a Rivers or Pickett who would be up for massive pay rises next contract you'd think.

I can't get over that contract for Oliver. Clearly 0 effort to take a little less to help us build a side and all about him and his manager getting as much as possible. Hate him even more now
To be fair it felt like Oliver, Gus and Trac all went and got as much as they could, not exactly the Geelong style team buy in, Trac worth it, the others absolutely not.

Yeah I'm not sure that's where I'd spent it, but consummate pro and potential captain > Gawns couch mate
If we could turn it into Waterman and an extra ~$500k in the cap per year I reckon that would make a little more sense from the clubs POV.

To be fair it felt like Oliver, Gus and Trac all went and got as much as they could, not exactly the Geelong style team buy in, Trac worth it, the others absolutely not.
When Gus signed, footage was posted of Gus video calling Trac to tell him the news. Trac started signing, in a very USA style, "we getting paaaiiiid". At the time I thought it was just a bit cringe, but may give some insight into the disposition of the big names at the club.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels like we acted like a very small club, manager 'threatened' to look at other offers and we panicked and gave him what he wanted. The Brayshaw retirement could be a blessing in disguise on us keeping a Rivers or Pickett who would be up for massive pay rises next contract you'd think.

Yeah I think we shit ourselves. We also gave Trac a big deal when there was rumours the Pies were sniffing around, and Brayshaw didn’t sign until late in 2022 (I do believe this was a domino falling due to Jackson probably telling the club he wants to go, same with Oliver resigning that season). We gave out 3 big deals and only one looks to be close to worth it at this stage.

Yeah I think we shit ourselves. We also gave Trac a big deal when there was rumours the Pies were sniffing around, and Brayshaw didn’t sign until late in 2022 (I do believe this was a domino falling due to Jackson probably telling the club he wants to go, same with Oliver resigning that season). We gave out 3 big deals and only one looks to be close to worth it at this stage.
I don't remember this at all. Collingwoods cap was completely ****ed at that point iirc

There has been whispers about him to the Pies for years? Maybe it’s always been bullshit but there has always been talk.
Meh pies get linked to everyone especially anyone who supported them as a kid. Watch it happen with Windsor next.

Think the club just thought they could set and forget our midfield for the next ten years

Maybe I'm just coping but Trac makes sense, he's a top player in the game and an absolute pro, maybe not captain material but you'd happily let a draftee follow him around daily to learn.

Oliver on the other hand.

I always felt this, I remember reading somewhere that neither Selwood or Hawkins made over 700k or something in their careers, no shit they got some much talent in. Meanwhile we tied up our cap on what we had already

ITT people who have never turned down a payrise moaning about players extracting every dollar that they can get in their short career!
rainbow fan GIF

Oliver was a top 10 player in 2021 imo Topkent , even though he won the coaches award in 2022 I still think his 2021 season was his best. He had that burst away from stoppage still in 2021 and its slowly started to fade away since then I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver was a top 10 player in 2021 imo Topkent , even though he won the coaches award in 2022 I still think his 2021 season was his best. He had that burst away from stoppage still in 2021 and its slowly started to fade away since then I reckon.
Was it 21 he absolutely dominated in Adelaide against Adelaide? I've always through he was slightly overrated

Was it 21 he absolutely dominated in Adelaide against Adelaide? I've always through he was slightly overrated
Yes, that was 2021. I agree hes been overrated but you can still say he was a top 10 player at one point at the same time.

Maybe I'm just coping but Trac makes sense, he's a top player in the game and an absolute pro, maybe not captain material but you'd happily let a draftee follow him around daily to learn.

Oliver on the other hand.
Its funny how Trac and Oliver have gone, I think you could easily question Trac's professionalism up til 2021, he didnt take fitness as seriously as he should have, I remember early in 2019 thinking he was fat, meanwhile you never questioned Oliver's fitness from the start of his career til 2021. Since 2021 they have gone in opposite directions, only year we've had them both at their absolute peak was 2021 and it resulted in a flag.

He was a top 5 player that year imo. Both him and Trac were. I want him gone now but not going to deny he was the best inside mid in the game and absolutely a top 10 player in 2021-2022.

He was a top 5 player that year imo. Both him and Trac were. I want him gone now but not going to deny he was the best inside mid in the game and absolutely a top 10 player in 2021-2022.

Top 10? Name 9 players that were better.

The disrespect is egregious! He was the best player in the competition during 2021-22.

Its funny how Trac and Oliver have gone, I think you could easily question Trac's professionalism up til 2021, he didnt take fitness as seriously as he should have, I remember early in 2019 thinking he was fat, meanwhile you never questioned Oliver's fitness from the start of his career til 2021. Since 2021 they have gone in opposite directions, only year we've had them both at their absolute peak was 2021 and it resulted in a flag.
Trac broke out in 2020 imo.

He did take his fitness much more seriously in 2020. Still think he peaked in 2021 though and has maintained that since.
21 was his best year but 20 he became a serious footballer is what I'm saying. I remember in 2020 he said something about his partner basically telling him to pull his head out of his arse a bit.

He was better than all of Tracc, May, Max in 21 and 22 and was definitely a top ten player in those years. In my opinion. Doubt we will change each other's minds :love:
Absolutely no way he was better then Trac in 2021.

Unlike Oliver, Trac has other weapons such as being able to hit the scoreboard.

I mean his grand final performance speaks for itself.

Absolutely no way he was better then Trac in 2021.

Unlike Oliver, Trac has other weapons such as being able to hit the scoreboard.

I mean his grand final performance speaks for itself.
I've been heavily into the Oliver bashing this year, but I'll disagree on the top point.

Is Trac a better player than Oliver? Absolutely, it's not even a question at this point. Was he clearly better than Oliver over the entire 2021 season? I'd argue that he wasn't.

Think a bit of recency bias is creeping in here – Oliver was unreal in 2021 (as was Trac), but over the 2021 and 2022 seasons collectively, I'd argue that Oliver was our best player and easily top-five in the comp.

Obviously Trac gets the gloss of the Norm Smith, but Oliver still had some incredible performances that year (i.e. the QF vs Brisbane, dragging us back from the brink against Geelong in R23 if you want to name some 'big' games).

Not gonna bash the guy for signing a big contract, he clearly doesn't have too much productive going on outside of footy, so he should milk all the cash he can get out of the game.

That being said, that contract also gives supporters a legitimate reason to criticise his performances this year, plus his off-field shenanigans.

Just think that diminishing his past performances via looking at him through the lens of this year is a bit rough.

TL;DR he sucks and is overpaid now, but he didn't always suck. In fact, he was extremely good.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – where everybody gets a ludicrously long extension!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back