Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Melbourne has strong interest in securing Houston to replace retired premiership star Angus Brayshaw, who had his contract paid out after being medically retired due to concussion.

The Power would want two first-round draft picks for Houston, 27, given how highly they rate the All-Australian gun who placed third in the clubā€™s best-and-fairest last year.

Melbourne is gearing up to make major moves this off-season as the club faces the prospect of a third-straight year without a finals win.

This has the West Coast Tim Kelly trade written all over it.

In what is meant to be a strong draft we go and flog off all our draft capital on one bloke who is 28 next season while we are on the way down the ladder and Tassie is about to enter the league.

Textbook MFC move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm president of the Dan Houston Fan Club (would instantly be one of my favourite Melbourne players), but yeah, don't go mortgaging our future on a 28-year-old half-back flanker.

If we somehow managed to pull off 3-4 big signings in areas of need for one last push with Gawn and May, sure. But just adding Houston to our current list won't take us anywhere near a flag and will just indicate that the club is prolonging the inevitable.

As an aside, even on Twitter the Poort fans are calling for Koz and a first :$

I'm president of the Dan Houston Fan Club (would instantly be one of my favourite Melbourne players), but yeah, don't go mortgaging our future on a 28-year-old half-back flanker.

If we somehow managed to pull off 3-4 big signings in areas of need for one last push with Gawn and May, sure. But just adding Houston to our current list won't take us anywhere near a flag and will just indicate that the club is prolonging the inevitable.

As an aside, even on Twitter the Poort fans are calling for Koz and a first :$
With what though? Both our firsts and seconds for the next 2 years?
If we go and get Houston just so we can push Salem into the midfield šŸ˜‚

TK just go with it, if we are making multiple moves it would likely mean Olivers leaving.
If it means Oliver out I'm ok with anything the club does moving forward :melbourne:

Melbourne Football Club Applause GIF by Melbournefc

Dan Houston:thumbsu:

For that price though :thumbsdown:

1 first round pick and chuck in a premiership player Sparrow šŸ˜‚
If our pick is top 8 im not even keen on trading a single first. Houston feels like someone who should go more in the 12-16 range.

Last edited:
i wouldn't be surprised if we use our early picks to bring in a player like Houston and then back in JT to find some gems later in what is supposedly a deep draft.
personally, i'd rather we keep on going to the draft early for kids. i think we have list holes that need filling more than what Houston can fix.

Shultz went to a premiership team for a single future first with one year left to run on his deal. Turned out far better than expected for Freo. Imagine doing that x 2 for Dan Houston with the way how our team has trended down the ladder over the past 3 years. Would be absolutely ******ed. Port can keep him for that price.

Why did he sign such a long term deal and now wants to go home btw?

Send them Oliver and Petty instead. Maybe throw in Tom Sparrow as a goodwill gesture.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back