Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Not huge on Waterman anyway...

But Geelong have likely already earmarked several properties that will magically become available for a rock bottom price - completely seperate and unrelated to his AFL contract of course...
Cats are just a better run club. They target players and usually get them. We have a scatter gun approach and hope something sticks. Usually it does, but it's the stuff that is on the bottom of a shoe. Geelong might have an advantage being a bit out of Melbourne. Probably an attractive club for country lads. Play finals nearly every year as well. Can see Waterman going down there and being a cult hero tbh.

I think Dees have a decent record of landing their targets. Lever May Langdon. Seems
We have a few irons in the fire this year. Media seem to be linking us to a few.
Iā€™d be weary of Waterman given this is his breakout season. Youā€™d want to be confident he can continue to produce. He is finally over his injury concerns though.
Seems we are quite keen to offload a draft pick so could be an interesting trade period.

All this noise about club going after established players and possibly selling our future picks smells to me like we are desperately trying to hang onto our window opposed to rebooting ahead of Tassie entering the comp.

North and Richmond tried the same and look how that has turned out.

28 games in six seasons, depth player at a bottom team. Surely they stop trying to get recycled players this year ffs

Not every trade is going to be a huge one, but with all of Tomlinson, Schache, Brown, Hunter, Smith, Brayshaw, (maybe) TMac & Melksham all gone this year we're going to need to get some mature depth. Minimum of 6 players out and given our current draft hand I don't see us using more than 3 picks, so we probably need to get used to hearing about some unsexy options.

All this noise about club going after established players and possibly selling our future picks smells to me like we are desperately trying to hang onto our window opposed to rebooting ahead of Tassie entering the comp.

North and Richmond tried the same and look how that has turned out.

You could look at it that way or you could look at the Swans and Cats - they rarely go all-in at the draft and try to snare readymade players wherever possible.

I'd love us to grab a free agent and keep our early picks in the draft (this is why I'm much keener on Cummings than Houston as that running defender).

Not every trade is going to be a huge one, but with all of Tomlinson, Schache, Brown, Hunter, Smith, Brayshaw, (maybe) TMac & Melksham all gone this year we're going to need to get some mature depth. Minimum of 6 players out and given our current draft hand I don't see us using more than 3 picks, so we probably need to get used to hearing about some unsexy options.

I donā€™t see us needing KPD depth though. Tmac gets another year and they put Petty down back, even if Tomlinson goes we are fine.

I donā€™t see us needing KPD depth though. Tmac gets another year and they put Petty down back, even if Tomlinson goes we are fine.
Maybe TMac is already out the door? Been offered far better elsewhere?

Disagree mate. Tomlinson gone, May probably only has 1 decent season left, TMac too, Schache, Smith and Brown all gone so likely Petty and Turner stay forward, Adams is a slow burn. We get real thin real fast.

Disagree mate. Tomlinson gone, May probably only has 1 decent season left, TMac too, Schache, Smith and Brown all gone so likely Petty and Turner stay forward, Adams is a slow burn. We get real thin real fast.

Depends how Jefferson goes in the preseason (or gets selected in the next few weeks) and hopefully become a permanent forward in 2025, allowing Harry to return down back.

Otherwise apart from Battle and Waterman the market for key forw/def seems pretty thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how Jefferson goes in the preseason (or gets selected in the next few weeks) and hopefully become a permanent forward in 2025, allowing Harry to return down back.

Otherwise apart from Battle and Waterman the market for key forw/def seems pretty thin.

Either way we still need more depth given how many talls we're losing this year and next.

I think Dees have a decent record of landing their targets. Lever May Langdon. Seems
We have a few irons in the fire this year. Media seem to be linking us to a few.
Iā€™d be weary of Waterman given this is his breakout season. Youā€™d want to be confident he can continue to produce. He is finally over his injury concerns though.
Seems we are quite keen to offload a draft pick so could be an interesting trade period.
He's not overly tall (6'-3"), so he relies on speed off the mark, a open run at the ball, judgement, and a team trying to lace him out.

Personlly, I'd rather JvR... plus a 200cm follower who hangs his hat on being a powerful mark in packs.

He's not overly tall (6'-3"), so he relies on speed off the mark, a open run at the ball, judgement, and a team trying to lace him out.

Personlly, I'd rather JvR... plus a 200cm follower who hangs his hat on being a powerful mark in packs.
Yeah is undersized for a key forward. Has great hands though. And a reliable kick. They are going to have to make long term calls on Petty and Turner at some point. Iā€™d assume if we get a key forward on of them returns to defence. Assuming Turner at this point.

Didnā€™t get that impression at all? He was guarded in his response but they always are even if theyā€™re staying.

I reckon once they're saying things like 'I'm contracted here' rather than 'I love the club, Ken, the boys, not going anywhere' then it's looking ominous.

Didnt he say the latter after the Carlton game last week?

Yeah that's fair, that's definitely along those lines. I just get suss when they start saying "I'm contracted here" even if they do say the other stuff. To me it just comes across as a kinda 'I'm not technically lying or denying....' thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back