Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Didnā€™t get that impression at all? He was guarded in his response but they always are even if theyā€™re staying.
Yeah I'm confused by the original title of "What number will he wear next year"..

I didn't even get a hint of idea that he was definitely out the door. Still has years to run on his contract and Port could easily do what we did with Petty last year and refuse to trade him.

Port board seem to think he's gone. It was a standard answer but thought his body language and nervousness was telling.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge though. He's contracted and a gun so it'll be hard to satisfy Port even if he wants to leave.

Not the busiest day at work today so I put my list manager's hat on.

Here's a wishlist if I was in charge.

Out: Brayshaw, Smith, B Brown, Tomlinson, Schache, Hunter, Farris-White.

Re-rookie Melksham and offer McDonald a 1-year deal.

Players to target:

I much prefer Cumming over Houston because heā€™s a free agent and younger - heā€™s had some injuries this year but before then, heā€™s played 20+ games each year in the past three seasons. I can also see Houston being like a Daniel Rich in the coming years - great with ball in hand but can be exposed defensively.

If we get Cumming, then keep our first round pick for a draft thatā€™s pretty even in the first 8-10 picks.

Other trade targets should be a ruck/forward. I know the value (or otherwise) of a ruck is arguable, but I think rucking Petty and JVR disadvantages us in the midfield and up forward. Gawn may also only have 1 or 2 years left. Doing this also means we can put Petty and/or Turner back once May and T Mac retire, probably after 2025.

Targets here should be Hayden McLean from the Swans or Nick Bryan at the Dons. Both are contracted but worth chasing.

We obviously need to bolster our midfield, especially with Oliver a question mark, Viney slowing down and Trac possibly playing more forward.

We probably donā€™t have the capital to grab a superstar but Iā€™d love to target James Peatling at the Giants (ripped us apart on the weekend and out of contract) or Alex Davies at the Suns (out of contract and has huge upside imo) or Ben Hobbs from the Dons (had an excellent 2023 season, OOC end of 2025).

Finally I think we need more small forward options with Kozzie and ANB playing more mid minutes, Chandler still hit and miss, and Laurie struggling. Matt Owies is having a sneaky good season who is out of contract as is Bailey Banfield, who is an UFA.

Have at it

Players to target:

I much prefer Cumming over Houston because heā€™s a free agent and younger - heā€™s had some injuries this year but before then, heā€™s played 20+ games each year in the past three seasons. I can also see Houston being like a Daniel Rich in the coming years - great with ball in hand but can be exposed defensively.

If we get Cumming, then keep our first round pick for a draft thatā€™s pretty even in the first 8-10 picks.

Other trade targets should be a ruck/forward. I know the value (or otherwise) of a ruck is arguable, but I think rucking Petty and JVR disadvantages us in the midfield and up forward. Gawn may also only have 1 or 2 years left. Doing this also means we can put Petty and/or Turner back once May and T Mac retire, probably after 2025.

Targets here should be Hayden McLean from the Swans or Nick Bryan at the Dons. Both are contracted but worth chasing.

We obviously need to bolster our midfield, especially with Oliver a question mark, Viney slowing down and Trac possibly playing more forward.

We probably donā€™t have the capital to grab a superstar but Iā€™d love to target James Peatling at the Giants (ripped us apart on the weekend and out of contract) or Alex Davies at the Suns (out of contract and has huge upside imo) or Ben Hobbs from the Dons (had an excellent 2023 season, OOC end of 2025).

Finally I think we need more small forward options with Kozzie and ANB playing more mid minutes, Chandler still hit and miss, and Laurie struggling. Matt Owies is having a sneaky good season who is out of contract as is Bailey Banfield, who is an UFA.

Have at it
Canā€™t see Owies leaving
More chance of Jack Martin leaving first I reckon

Canā€™t see Owies leaving
More chance of Jack Martin leaving first I reckon

I think Marin is almost certainly leaving but is pretty close to the end.

I agree with Owies but any decent player who is unsigned this close to the end of the season is always a chance to leave. Strange that he hasn't signed up yet.

We have an atrocious record of ā€œMoneyballā€ players going back to David Rodan, Shannon Byrnes and Tom Gillies days. The only ones I remember working out are Garlett, Pederson and Daniel Cross. Rest have been trash right up to our current bunch of Hunter, Billings, Schache, Hore, Fullerton, Mcadam ect)

(Note: I am considering players who cost less than a 2nd round draft pick as a money ball player. McAdam I included as he shouldā€™ve been in this category).

Players to target:

Have at it
Mich0 would hate de-listing all that height.

Mich0 would hate de-listing all that height.

They can go like most of our list can, disappointed by the lack of talk about any of our players looking elsewhere.

I think Spargo goes however. Supposedly wanted out last year, then had his injury mismanaged and hasnā€™t been heard from or seen since.

We have an atrocious record of ā€œMoneyballā€ players going back to David Rodan, Shannon Byrnes and Tom Gillies days. The only ones I remember working out are Garlett, Pederson and Daniel Cross. Rest have been trash right up to our current bunch of Hunter, Billings, Schache, Hore, Fullerton, Mcadam ect)

(Note: I am considering players who cost less than a 2nd round draft pick as a money ball player. McAdam I included as he shouldā€™ve been in this category).

That's the thing though; you can take risks with those sorts of players cos you're not spending big on them.

In the past few years, Ben Brown, Melksham, Hibberd and Langdon were all great additions at low cost.

The much bigger issue to worry about is paying a king's ransom for a gun who turns out to do very little.

That's the thing though; you can take risks with those sorts of players cos you're not spending big on them.

In the past few years, Ben Brown, Melksham, Hibberd and Langdon were all great additions at low cost.

The much bigger issue to worry about is paying a king's ransom for a gun who turns out to do very little.

They all cost 2nd rounders. (And brought in when Viney was list manager opposed to Lamb).

Wouldnā€™t give up a 2nd rounder for a ā€œmoney ballā€ player. They would need to be best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Bugg was a massive win. :love:

Hunter was actually very good last year, think people are being prisoners of the moment coz he hasn't been fit this year.

Agree with the post in general though.

Yeah is undersized for a key forward. Has great hands though. And a reliable kick. They are going to have to make long term calls on Petty and Turner at some point. Iā€™d assume if we get a key forward on of them returns to defence. Assuming Turner at this point.
I think Turner as the 3rd tall/medium forward is very handy. He gives us an avenue to goal other than Frizzal.
Also Melk has done very well since coming straight back in; if you don't mind. He's playing his best footy for us, imo.
We are definitely better organised up forward.

Petty, also a swing-man along with Turner, gives us very-good versatility. looking to the future.

Atmo, its the 200cm follower who can clunk pack-marks when forward is the missing link.

When Gawn is a wee bit closer to the end than he now is; that'll be the time to bring in a ready made 1st ruck to us.

It's the follower types we have to try to develop right now... which is the Scache/Fullerton hopes.

I think Scache has had enough opportunities now, and its time to send him to the 3rds somewhere out west.

Last edited:
I'm wondering IF Sparrow has a problem, as well.?
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

FYI:

The AFL will allow clubs to trade two years in advance, but not until 2025. Clubs had thought it may get introduced this year, but have just been notified that it will come in from next season instead. More on @AFLcomau soon.

ā€” Riley Beveridge (RileyBev) August 2, 2024

They all cost 2nd rounders. (And brought in when Viney was list manager opposed to Lamb).

Wouldnā€™t give up a 2nd rounder for a ā€œmoney ballā€ player. They would need to be best 22.

Viney technically moved out of the list manager position in February 2018.

Langdon was traded in end of 2019.
Ben Brown was traded in end of 2020.

So presuming GC win (risky assumption) we'll be 13th by the end of the night, and I don't see us changing much from there. Who's looking good in our draft range this year? - presuming we don't blow it all on Houston

Sid Draper looks like a good inside-outside mix but will he make it to 6?

So presuming GC win (risky assumption) we'll be 13th by the end of the night, and I don't see us changing much from there. Who's looking good in our draft range this year? - presuming we don't blow it all on Houston

Sid Draper looks like a good inside-outside mix but will he make it to 6?

I like Trainor

Imagine how ****ing stupid we'd be to trade for Houston. We're determined to spend another decade at the bottom

I am more concerned about the lack of noise from other clubs trying to poach our players. Only way we are refreshing our list at this point is by paying clubs with draft capital to take spuds like Oliver off our hands since rest of our contracted spuds look like staying.

Wouldnā€™t mind trying to flog off a player or 2 to Richmond who will have heaps of capital and **** all players.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back