Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
I like Houston. But 2 first round picks? F* off

If dans not worth 2 1sts contracted , then no player is. Out and out gun.

I can also see Houston being like a Daniel Rich in the coming years - great with ball in hand but can be exposed defensively.

Thatā€™s not Houston at all. Heā€™s pretty damn good defensively, especially if given that task.

Heā€™s the best all round player I know of in the afl, doesnā€™t have any standout weaknesses.

I'm not even sure he's the type we need. Good player and excellent kick, but I think genuine mids and KPPs are our absolute priority.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Houston can play midfield and is probably better at that position than any midfielder available to you.

As it is the halfback position he plays is basically a deep behind the ball midfielder.

If Geelong can convince Port to give up pick 25 for Esava Ratugolea then surely we can convince them to give up Houston for less than 2 first round picks

That was a dumb trade, I said it at the time and looks even worse now.

Houston is an out and out gun. Would say he is a top 2 player at our club right now, and is irreplaceable. If we lose him we can write of any chance of a grand final in the next couple of years, we just get much worse. And whoever gets him will get much much better.

Can understand fans wanting to rebuild via the draft and concerns that 1 player wonā€™t get you over the line for success. Thatā€™s a valid fear.

But there should be zero concerns about his quality and what he can add to a team.

Also, heā€™s incredibly durable.

My opinion but if we give up 2 first round picks for Huston we are in trouble as one player will not fix it we need a quick mini rebuild as our depth is shit, attack the draft this year and next year.

Charlie Spargo wants out. Unsurprisingly, there is no interest in a slow 5'3 plodder that can't kick the ball more than 30m coming off an achilles rupture.

Not sure who would be interested. He is definitely not the 'missing piece' for any contending side. And you wouldn't bring him in to be a senior leader for a young side; too lazy and shit attitude.

Charlie Spargo wants out. Unsurprisingly, there is no interest in a slow 5'3 plodder that can't kick the ball more than 30m coming off an achilles rupture.

Not sure who would be interested. He is definitely not the 'missing piece' for any contending side. And you wouldn't bring him in to be a senior leader for a young side; too lazy and shit attitude.

North were keen last year and can still see him fitting in there.

That said wouldnā€™t surprise me if him along with Hunter were 2 of the players they found texts to on J Smiths phone.

Both have been missing all year.

Hope we have a few others we can trade off for more draft capital.

That said wouldnā€™t surprise me if him along with Hunter were 2 of the players they found texts to on J Smiths phone.

Hunter definitely had an interesting offseason. Haven't heard Spargs name though..keep forgetting he's on the list tbh. 4th rounder will get it done.

Another strike against our so-called high performance team.

Plus goodwins's desire to force blokes to push through when unfit.

I find it unusual Trac was injured and we still see stories and news of his recovery. Been **** all about Spargo.

Something else must be up

Another strike against our so-called high performance team.

Plus goodwins's desire to force blokes to push through when unfit.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I find it unusual Trac was injured and we still see stories and news of his recovery. Been **** all about Spargo.

Or maybe... And this is just a wild theory I'm throwing out there but bare with me...

Petracca is a norm smith medalist and genuine star of the comp. Spargo is a forgettable player that most opposition fans either don't know or don't remember since he couldn't even hold down his spot last year when fully fit.

And he's a sneaky drug bag.

He was on crutches the other night at the game.
Also was on Ben Gibsonā€™s podcast the other week. Said he was due to play recently but had a setback and out for the season. Think it was Achilles.

Itā€™s unlikely we see a coaching change. May some assistant changes which is better than nothing. But no doubt the club will want to go again with Gawn and May nearing the end. Can definitely see us going hard for Houston. But I really hope we donā€™t hand over 2 firsts. One I can handle. But theyā€™ll play hardball given his contract.

Sorry about Hunter.

Not someone we wanted to keepā€¦. We have Bailey Smith leaving this off season tooā€¦. Best for you guys to not go after him.
I will not elaborate but just let the Cats and Hawks fight over him.

I really hope you guys jettison Lamb and Goodwin but that appears unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry about Hunter.

Not someone we wanted to keepā€¦. We have Bailey Smith leaving this off season tooā€¦. Best for you guys to not go after him.
Meh I'm not mad about hunter. We paid nothing for him and he was good for us last year. Type of guy you trade in hoping he can have a good game in the finals.

Hunter was very good last year, people have a short memory or just want to pretend he was shit coz it suits their Tim Lamb narrative.
He was better than Langdon. I'd be more critical of blowing picks on Sparrow, Bowie, Laurie. That little draft haul is 3 blokes who could miss a game and you'd not notice. Maybe there wasn't much else but getting hunter for nothing isn't what's killed us

Sorry about Hunter.

I really hope you guys jettison Lamb and Goodwin but that appears unlikely.
You're welcome to have him back if you like. Was OK last year, not great not bad, but had an offseason to forget and never recovered this year. Not sure where his contract status is at, but I'll be surprised if he's on our list next season.

Elite kicks are always needed. Not sure if you've watched a lot of Port, but there's a reason Port are wanting two 1st rounders for him. Not saying we should offer that, but he's a damn good player. Would love him at the Dees, but yeah, it would cost us too much at a time where we're needing holes plugged. 2 years ago would have been ideal.

We are asking 2 firsts because Melbourne found out that he wants to return home and have come after him and he's under contract.

Melbournes current 1st round pick isn't top 5.

Houston is a top 4 player at Port.
I'm pretty comfortable with the idea he's a top 4 player at Melbourne.

What is a top 4 player at Melbourne worth?

Port obviously win by keeping him but if he wants to come home well 2 picks OK.

If you off load Oliver to the Crows and get their pick that's possibly a different story if that's on the table.

When people say 2 first round picks it's like they don't understand all picks aren't equal. Like instead of just our first this year, port would be happy if we trade down and got pick 17 and 18 instead. So they get 2 juicy first rounders!!!

We're not paying 2 top 10 picks for Houston, that would be criminal

Two top 10 picks is what you pay for Butters

We are asking 2 firsts because Melbourne found out that he wants to return home and have come after him and he's under contract.

Melbournes current 1st round pick isn't top 5.

Houston is a top 4 player at Port.
I'm pretty comfortable with the idea he's a top 4 player at Melbourne.

What is a top 4 player at Melbourne worth?

Port obviously win by keeping him but if he wants to come home well 2 picks OK.

If you off load Oliver to the Crows and get their pick that's possibly a different story if that's on the table.
It's not about what he's worth. It's about where we are at as a club. I think we need to keep bringing in top end young talent, plus we now have plenty of holes in our list. Giving away 2 quality picks for anyone right now wouldn't imo be good for the club. Unless we plan on trading a player or players who could net us some good picks. But I highly doubt that's the case. Houston is a quality player. No doubt worth quality picks. But we're on the slide now, not on the way up.

Oppo trade negotiators are my favourite, particularly when the mood on the board is overwhelming indifference.

The best clubs to sell players to are the ones who believe they are on the verge of contending, they'll fork over a lot for the missing piece with potentially disastrous consequences if the timing is wrong.

Unfortunately we are one of those clubs. They'll no doubt chalk this poor season up to injuries and Claytons morbid obesity, and fail to recognise any other deficiencies.

If the club really recognised that we're in a terminal decline with this list, we'd be selling players to Carlton etc. instead we're still in buy mode and we'll hand over a kings ransom for Houston :thumbsu:

Premiership windows are very short, it's hard to stay in contention for long. It's usually a 3-4 year period. Look at Richmond for example. Look how quickly they fell away after 2020. 21 they finished 12th, 22 7th, 23 13th and now they look wooden spooners. At least they got the best out of their peak. We've really pissed away an opportunity, not even winning a final. You don't need to be a psychic to see the future, just need to look at Richmond.

When people say 2 first round picks it's like they don't understand all picks aren't equal. Like instead of just our first this year, port would be happy if we trade down and got pick 17 and 18 instead. So they get 2 juicy first rounders!!!

We're not paying 2 top 10 picks for Houston, that would be criminal

Two top 10 picks is what you pay for Butters
Man, I was going to reply to about 5 posts saying the same damn thing. Stupid sensationalism that the media peddles.

Gave up a first round for player X (pick 18)

Got him as steal for 2nd rounder (pick 19).

This is a pretty even draft but still, so many average or failed picks in that 8-20 range each year. Plenty in the top 8 picks too.

I wouldnā€™t even give up 1 first for a bloke who probably has never even copped a tag before. (Houston)

Imagine we piss off a top 10 pick, he comes in and is rendered useless in his first game by a Cincotta or Bedford running a tag on him because tagging HBFs are now in lieu.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back