Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Takes him through to 32yo in his last season of the deal. Youā€™d probably need to know the value of the contract before making too many assumptions. Doesnā€™t come across as someone who couldnā€™t play until 32yo. And I imagine heā€™s not earning top end $.
Nice to see a rational reply.

You do realise Houston has been around longer than those players yeah?

youā€™re also continuing to underrate Houston.

The other players are younger but Houston has consistently been an elite player and arguably in the top couple of players on our list in terms of performance.

What do you want? Names and dates from a 166 game career?

Can you tell me that info for all your players ?

The idea that no one has ever thought to try tagging ports best ball user and arguably most consistent elite player of the past 7 or so years is absurd.

Heā€™s not some untried kid. Heā€™s 27 years old and been a gun since forever. Port fans were raving about him for years before the rest of the afl noticed.

As I said earlier, i understand any melb fans position that they would rather their team rebuilds via the draft than bring in an elite and costly 27 yr old. Whether I or anyone else agrees with them or not at least its a rational idea.

The idea that Houston is not a gun, or valuable, or that he hasnā€™t been tagged is just laughable.
Houston is rated the best kick in the comp, when Port play clubs where the oppo has inside knowledge like Vossie at Carlton they pay a lot of respect to Houston where they try to stop a running half back kicking multiple goals.

Takes him through to 32yo in his last season of the deal. Youā€™d probably need to know the value of the contract before making too many assumptions. Doesnā€™t come across as someone who couldnā€™t play until 32yo. And I imagine heā€™s not earning top end $.

If we were spreading his money out I'd rather overpay him in the short term and not be stuck with the deal. We have excess cap space right now it wouldn't be an issue.

If we were spreading his money out I'd rather overpay him in the short term and not be stuck with the deal. We have excess cap space right now it wouldn't be an issue.

Maybe that's what they've done? Maybe they're paying him only a tiny bit more for 4 than we would have for 3, and they've front ended it while Gus' contract discount % is higher? That's what I mean when I say there's no point just complaining about the years without knowing how it all works out and what else it enables us to do or move around.

I don't mind it. Langdon is a roleplayer presumably not on big money, and his presence is not keeping a more talented/deserving player out of the side.

He has played at least 20 games in 6 of the last 7 seasons, so it is not as if we are giving a long contract to an injury prone plodder (McAdam). And the year where he didn't reach the 20 game mark was in 2020 - where he played all 17 games!

He will be a tradeable player if he falls out of favour.

I've heard that Houston is the best kick in the comp, can any Port posters confirm or deny?
Gags aside, he's one of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Means precisely nothing if he's directed to throttle the ball to a pack of 12 in the forward pocket, though.

Thereā€™s a fair few ā€œbest kick in the compā€. Most overused statement going around, is it Daicos? Nicky Martin? Sheezal?, no wait itā€™s Whitfield, surely itā€™s Gulden. Dale goes alright by foot to, then you got Sicily, Sinclair, W-Milera, Jezza Cameron, Coleman, Mckercher, Young, Rankine and Rioli who go alright to. Oh wait, donā€™t forget Saad, Daniel and Ryan as well.

Funnily enough we won a flag without any of these blokes.

Thereā€™s a fair few ā€œbest kick in the compā€. Most overused statement going around, is it Daicos? Nicky Martin? Sheezal?, no wait itā€™s Whitfield, surely itā€™s Gulden. Dale goes alright by foot to, then you got Sicily, Sinclair, W-Milera, Jezza Cameron, Coleman, Mckercher, Young, Rankine and Rioli who go alright to. Oh wait, donā€™t forget Saad, Daniel and Ryan as well.

Funnily enough we won a flag without any of these blokes.
But we have Salem! Beautiful kick of the footy I hear

Gags aside, he's one of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Means precisely nothing if he's directed to throttle the ball to a pack of 12 in the forward pocket, though.
Do you reckon we're specifically targeting a fantastic kick because that's what we want to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you reckon we're specifically targeting a fantastic kick because that's what we want to do?
To get the best out of Houston, we'd need to significantly adjust our gameplan.

The wording being used is that we're "looking for a replacement for Angus Brayshaw," and Brayshaw was one of the worst kicks I've seen. Certainly hope it's the accuracy, not length, of Houston's kicking that appeals to the club.

The wording being used is that we're "looking for a replacement for Angus Brayshaw," and Brayshaw was one of the worst kicks I've seen. Certainly hope it's the accuracy, not length, of Houston's kicking that appeals to the club.
Agree, until proven otherwise there is no benefit of the doubt here, Goody has had plenty of chances to change shit up the past 3 years and done **** all. Ill believe we will use Houston in the correct manner when I see it.

Come on mate. Why would we specifically target a high cost player like him with the plan to be 'we don't care about kicking'. Bit over the top.

Come on mate. Why would we specifically target a high cost player like him with the plan to be 'we don't care about kicking'. Bit over the top.
Just like the plan we had when targeting Grundy. Oh yeah, what plan.

Just like the plan we had when targeting Grundy. Oh yeah, what plan.
Also imagine how ****ing stupid you'd have to be to change a whole game plan based on one player šŸ˜‚. So if Houston does a hammy and misses 7 weeks we just give up on the season?

Last edited:
The wording being used is that we're "looking for a replacement for Angus Brayshaw," and Brayshaw was one of the worst kicks I've seen.

That's been used by posters here, including me. That's because Houston has versatility, nothing to do with trying to make him a terrible kick. That's a stretch, I'm sure you know that.

We saw at the start of the year they tried to have a more skill based game plan - It was a fail. Going after Houston, and I'm sure others, would be part of trying to address that skill deficiency. It's not like they wouldn't know we're a poor kicking team and have to read BigFooty to find it out.

MFC be like:
Season 3 Sleeping GIF by The Simpsons

Cant wait to see more contest and defence and Houston dropping long bailout kicks in a bucket to Gawn.

Think you're underestimating how simplistic this might be. Every chance the rationale was:

- "Hey, we need an experienced, strong half-back to replace Brayshaw."
- "OK, Dan Houston is 27 and wanting to return to Victoria, let's go after him if we can make a trade happen".

Think you're underestimating how simplistic this might be. Every chance the rationale was:

- "OK, Dan Houston is 27 and wanting to return to Victoria, let's go after him if we can make a trade happen".
Or
We want to move Rivers into the midfield we need another HB, Houston's available.
Done āœ…

Plenty of half backs they could have gone for that would have been cheaper, you really really don't think they recognize our kicking skills are an issue and we want to rebound more and he perfectly fits that bill? Completely disagree, based on the context of it all, that there's "every chance" that's the rationale.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back