List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the WA teams with their plethora of picks would get in before us.
Not necessarily. He might not be a high draft pick.

Remember, it wasn’t long ago some were saying no WA kids would get drafted this year!

Gerryn + Bo Allen are still probably the first 2 WA kids picked this year.

But Davis is coming with a rush.

Was highly rated in his draft year, in part due to his size. He’s the prototype mid everyone wants …. 194cm, reasonably quick & powerful.

But his VFL/AFL career to date has been …. meh. Being 194cm tall doesn’t automatically mean you’re the next Cripps.

I don’t currently think he’d add to our team.

Post-script: ironically, he was a Collingwood academy selection. But of course, only northern clubs benefit from academies.

Yeah not sure about Reef he’s sort of an In between but I like him forward not as a mid anyway pretty reliable set shot.

If anyone has seen the end of the Under 18 championship win to Vic Metro will see why the game is f'd with a disgusting 50 paid. These umpires are f ing robots WNFI
I'd pay the free, but that 50 was a disgraceful decision. Ruining under age footy as well.

It's all relative as this might be the year where you can trade up with two picks in the teens, but that said it might be a good draft to just hold our two late first round picks.
Logical if you want to use them but I doubt that we do. More likely use a very late pick for Stretch (74), 54 for Cochran (with adjustments) and aim for one best available either by trading one into next year or trading the two up, even with a haircut.

It's all relative as this might be the year where you can trade up with two picks in the teens, but that said it might be a good draft to just hold our two late first round picks.
Yep i think there are a good 4-5 Vic Country boys i wouldn't mind and they should all be drafted in and around 15-25 range.

Logical if you want to use them but I doubt that we do. More likely use a very late pick for Stretch (74), 54 for Cochran (with adjustments) and aim for one best available either by trading one into next year or trading the two up, even with a haircut.
Unless you can get right up the top, it looks like a year where you are better off having (for example) pick 16 and 20 instead of pick 7.

We may need to start preparing for bids in 2025 and 2026, so future trading will be interesting.

Yep i think there are a good 4-5 Vic Country boys i wouldn't mind and they should all be drafted in and around 15-25 range.
I like Shanahan. I think he is a serious key forward prospect and would be a good type to develop alongside Logan as more of a contested marking key.

Whether he is available at our selection is another question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless you can get right up the top, it looks like a year where you are better off having (for example) pick 16 and 20 instead of pick 7.

We may need to start preparing for bids in 2025 and 2026, so future trading will be interesting.
Your last para has some serious meat in it if some of our 16s keep developing and elect the Academy for 2026. 2025 not so much by the sound of it but trading 2024 into 2025 then 2025 into 2026 might have some merit.

Just trying to figure out the most likely de-listings this year.

From the list below, there's only 5 senior listed players not contracted beyond this year.

I'd assume Arnold, Kirk, Magor, Reid and Vickery won't be re-signed. McAndrew looks 50/50, as does Francis.

Harry C gets another year doesn't he?

Konstanty is an interesting one - he might (?) have a little bit of residual trade value.

And what about Sid? He was being talked up by the club pre-season & has since debuted. Would be a bit of a surprise to see him delisted.

1721004055202.png

From the list below, there's only 5 senior listed players not contracted beyond this year.

I'd assume Arnold, Kirk, Magor, Reid and Vickery won't be re-signed. McAndrew looks 50/50, as does Francis.

Konstanty is an interesting one - he might (?) have a little bit of residual trade value.

And what about Sid? He was being talked up by the club pre-season & has since debuted. Would be a bit of a surprise to see him delisted.

View attachment 2048893
Konstanty gone i would think , Vickory and Arnold maybe rookied , i like Vickery as he's got a footy brain .

From the draft wouldn't mind:

First - Moraes/Shanahan/ Mraz
19 - potential to trade it into 2025 (Sneaky suspicious Carmichael will be a first rounder)
Third rounder - maybe Cochran? If not a small lockdown defender please
Last pick - upgrade Stretch

Rookies
Potentially Cochran if not bid on
Harrison

View attachment 2048893
My take:
Seniors
Vickery, Konstanty gone
Cunningham delisted and rookied, possibly Francis too.
Possibly Ladhams traded if the price is right.
Rookies
Arnold, Magor, Reid gone
Stretch upgraded to senior list
Hanily, Kirk extended
3 senior spots available
2 rookie spots available

Last edited:

Gut feel is we do and wait and see when the draft occurs, we'd have clubs in mind that would be open to it. Would West Coast want another one? Richmond etc. Their future picks are enticing

Thought I'd have a look back at that 2022 live trade we did:

Hawthorn Receive:

• Pick 18 (Josh Weddle)

Sydney Receive:

• Pick 27 (Cooper Vickery)

• 2023 Second Round Pick (Hawthorn): Traded alongside Dylan Stephens.
In Return: Pick 44 (bid matched for Caiden Cleary) & End of 1st Round Pick PP (North, TBC)

• 2023 Third Round Pick (Hawthorn): Brodie Grundy

Hawks got Josh Weddle.

Sydney got Cooper Vickery, Caiden Cleary, Grundy and an End of 1st Round Pick (TBC).

Thought I'd have a look back at that 2022 live trade we did:

Hawthorn Receive:

• Pick 18 (Josh Weddle)

Sydney Receive:

• Pick 27 (Cooper Vickery)

• 2023 Second Round Pick (Hawthorn): Traded alongside Dylan Stephens.
In Return: Pick 44 (bid matched for Caiden Cleary) & End of 1st Round Pick PP (North, TBC)

• 2023 Third Round Pick (Hawthorn): Brodie Grundy

Hawks got Josh Weddle.

Sydney got Cooper Vickery, Caiden Cleary, Grundy and an End of 1st Round Pick (TBC).

From memory we weren't into Josh Weddle much, but we wanted Ed Allen and we took a calculated gamble (that went badly) that Allen wouldn't be taken by the Pies, he was. We took Konstanty with the selection. Did allow us to get Grundy/match Cleary etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back