List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd have a look back at that 2022 live trade we did:

Hawthorn Receive:

• Pick 18 (Josh Weddle)

Sydney Receive:

• Pick 27 (Cooper Vickery)

• 2023 Second Round Pick (Hawthorn): Traded alongside Dylan Stephens.
In Return: Pick 44 (bid matched for Caiden Cleary) & End of 1st Round Pick PP (North, TBC)

• 2023 Third Round Pick (Hawthorn): Brodie Grundy

Hawks got Josh Weddle.

Sydney got Cooper Vickery, Caiden Cleary, Grundy and an End of 1st Round Pick (TBC).
So effectively Sydney gave up rights to draft Ed Allen, Stephens and our 3rd in 2023, 2nd 2024 for Vickery, Cleary, Grundy and a FRP

3rd in 2023 (Sydney) was used to help match Cleary
2nd in 2024 (Sydney) was used to get Grundy over the line

Last edited:
So effectively Sydney gave up rights to draft Ed Allen, Stephens and our 3rd in 2023, 2nd 2024 for Vickery, Cleary, Grundy and a FRP

3rd in 2023 (Sydney) was used to help match Cleary
2nd in 2024 (Sydney) was used to get Grundy over the line
Also i love the Grundy deal now in comparison to that of Schultz, i know Schultz had more value but i would much rather give up two picks in the 2nd round rather than a FRP given that massive risk attached to a potential slide in which Collingwood might have.

They may have better offers elsewhere, but I hope we at least offer rookie positions to both Konstanty and Vickery if they aren't re-signed on the senior list.

Vickery has looked solid lately in the reserves and seems to have taken a decent step forward this year. His 1 on 1 defensive work looks a lot better than when he first started. We don't really have any replacement for Cunningham coming through. I think it's way too early to give up on Campbell as an attacking player, even though I think small defender may end up as the position he is best suited to.

Konstanty has also improved this year, not enough to get a senior game but it is a hard team to break into. I kind of get the feeling that the club isn't that excited about him, but hopefully that is not correct.

Last edited:

Also i love the Grundy deal now in comparison to that of Schultz, i know Schultz had more value but i would much rather give up two picks in the 2nd round rather than a FRP given that massive risk attached to a potential slide in which Collingwood might have.
The Grundy deal can't really be compared to anything else. Everything aligned perfectly for us in that situation.

In that article, it says that if approved, the 5-year rookie rule Cal touted a couple of weeks ago will come in this year, which means we could keep Stretch there for up to another 2 years.

Among other changes the AFL has put to clubs as proposed changes for 2024 include: rookies to have the capacity to remain on the rookie list for up to five years (increased from three) subject to games eligibility; introducing contract length as a key determinant in the free agency compensation formula; and allowing father-sons to be listed as rookies instead of senior-listed players if they do not receive a bid in the national draft.

It teams are paying a fair price to match bids, it really shouldn't matter.
Its just a way to funnel kids through. As i said earlier with the Grundy deal pick 46 & 40 equals pick 25 atm so its pretty easy to get any talent that is top range e.g. Vickery was Hawks NGA. Its literally just going to extend the first round out to 30-35 selections. For instance in 2023 the FR was 29 selections which included 3 NGAs not activated and a further selection at pick 32 that wasn't activated that would have fallen under the FR selection so if this was in place the first round for the 2023 draft would have been 33 selectionws

In that article, it says that if approved, the 5-year rookie rule Cal touted a couple of weeks ago will come in this year, which means we could keep Stretch there for up to another 2 years.

Among other changes the AFL has put to clubs as proposed changes for 2024 include: rookies to have the capacity to remain on the rookie list for up to five years (increased from three) subject to games eligibility; introducing contract length as a key determinant in the free agency compensation formula; and allowing father-sons to be listed as rookies instead of senior-listed players if they do not receive a bid in the national draft.
Wouldn't mind if they also just added an extra 1-2 rookie slots in itself because it allows you to take more raw talent and can at points allow the VFL to be fully listed players

From memory we weren't into Josh Weddle much, but we wanted Ed Allen and we took a calculated gamble (that went badly) that Allen wouldn't be taken by the Pies, he was. We took Konstanty with the selection. Did allow us to get Grundy/match Cleary etc.

I think it was more Josh Weddle not being into us at the time... Plus he had a shit haircut, which displayed obvious decision making weaknesses. Kinnear was having none of that

I think it was more Josh Weddle not being into us at the time... Plus he had a shit haircut, which displayed obvious decision making weaknesses. Kinnear was having none of that

To be fair it’s a shocker of a haircut lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its just a way to funnel kids through. As i said earlier with the Grundy deal pick 46 & 40 equals pick 25 atm so its pretty easy to get any talent that is top range e.g. Vickery was Hawks NGA. Its literally just going to extend the first round out to 30-35 selections. For instance in 2023 the FR was 29 selections which included 3 NGAs not activated and a further selection at pick 32 that wasn't activated that would have fallen under the FR selection so if this was in place the first round for the 2023 draft would have been 33 selectionws
It's there because of the perceived advantage NSW and QLD clubs are getting from academies.

But as I said, if teams have to pay a fair price to match bids, which currently they aren't, then it shouldn't matter that much for anyone. And that includes us.

Last edited:
I knew it was going to head this way. NGA's, especially in traditional states are a complete and utter box ticking exercise. No effort, all reward.

The AFL are completely incompetent if they fall for this one

So it’s an absolute certainty? I actually don’t hate it anyway. So long as what they pay is on the same as any other academy or Father son

I knew it was going to head this way. NGA's, especially in traditional states are a complete and utter box ticking exercise. No effort, all reward.

The AFL are completely incompetent if they fall for this one
100% does anyone know how long JUH was actually on the list at the Dogs for? What about Sanders, North would have gotten him alongside McKercher and Duursma.

And it gets worse imagine if Roos had lost that last game they would have had 3 of the consensus top 4 talents of the draft in Reid, McKercher and Sanders

If Taj Hotton slips to our picks I’ll be taking a chance on him for sure. As a risk/high ceiling prospect I’m up for a gamble at where we are selecting.

Best tall at the other selection Armstrong maybe

Latest July RMC Power Rankings (Top 30)
Give me Harvey Langford with our first pick which will end up being pick 23 and then his team mate Cooper Hynes with the next pick

Do you not think we will ever address a backup to Hayward?

Maybe but we can also look at the array of mids we have there. Maybe that ends up being Cleary’s spot. Personally I wouldn’t be using a high pick on a HFF.

Best available at 19
Best key forward at 20 (Amstrong or Shanahan probably)

What is the other selection. Trainor and Armstrong are elite

Armstrong may be available but we’d need to be lucky. Trainings no chance best tall in the draft. I like Shanahan myself actually

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back