Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Bronny would be lucky to play in the G-League. LeBron is already sending smoke signals that his future next year isn't tied to Bronny because he likely knows better than anyone that he won't be playing in the NBA.
Yeah that's my point. He's nowhere near NBA standard but I still think there's a good chance he gets at least a two way to try and attract LeBron. If Thanasis and Dames cousin can be on a roster so can Bronny haha. Also cos NBA franchises are businesses the money a single marquee player rakes in makes it more appealing than in the AFL

Well I mean Leni didn’t get a mention, I’m guessing OP didn’t realise
No… just really very aware of Nixies build and frantic will to win. Even if she’s only 8…
Her love of Uncle Jars and Chad. Shes still a raging hawk.

I’ll reserve judgement on Len a little bit longer(and yes I know she’s coming 12 soon). Some kids just look special real early.

Last edited:
No… just really very aware of Nixies build and frantic will to win. Even if she’s only 8…
Her love of Uncle Jars and Chad. Shes still a raging hawk.

I’ll reserve judgement on Len a little bit longer(and yes I know she’s coming 12 soon). Some kids just look special real early.
Haha my bad, sounds like you know them very well 🤣

I hope Port don't and we get him as a rookie or late pick. It's all about the brother
If it’s about his brother, then simply select his brother as a F/S because he’s good enough in his draft year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the go wth Mark Williams son? Loved watching Willo play. That awesome mark and goal in the wet against the scum to win us the match. The handball and goal with Dew, before he kicked a much needed goal. The shot gun celebration. The sacrifice to be traded to the Scum, in order to get Burgoyne. If his son plays anything like him, would love him at the Hawks

Cooper Hodge -

ROOS, PORT TO MISS FATHER-SON TALENT

NORTH Melbourne and Port Adelaide will miss out on father-son access to exciting teenage talent Dougie Cochrane who will spearhead South Australia's under-16s campaign starting this week.

Clubs have an eye on the under-16s championships, which began earlier this month, and a number of potential father-sons are among the squads, with some others having fatherly ties to the top level without being eligible to clubs.

Cochrane, an athletic tall who can play just about anywhere on the field and has terrific skills, is the son of former Kangaroos and Power midfielder Stuart and is eligible for the draft in 2026.

Stuart Cochrane played 50 games with North Melbourne and 54 with Port Adelaide in his career, falling short of the 100 games required at either single club to meet father-son qualification.

It shapes as another 'near miss' case similar to Noah Anderson, who went No.2 in the open draft in 2019 after his dad played 83 games with the Hawks and 67 with St Kilda.

There is a handful of players in the under-16s pool who do qualify, though, with Vic Country's Cody Walker tied to Carlton as a father-son where his dad Andrew played, while Cooper Hodge, the son of Hawthorn and Brisbane great Luke, will play for the Lions Academy under-16s side.

Hodge starred at under-15s level last year and will have the choice of joining the Hawks as a father-son or remaining with Brisbane as an Academy player in his draft year should his progress continue.

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games.

However, in a quirk for the current Giants coach and football manager, both sons will line up for crosstown rivals Sydney's under-16s side as members of the Swans Academy.

Also playing for the Swans in the under-16 carnival as an over-ager after having last season hit by injury will be James O'Loughlin, the son of Sydney champion Michael. He is eligible for the draft in 2025.

South Australia has Jack Leys, the son of 110-game Richmond player Brian, on its under-16s list.

Other players with fatherly links to the AFL who are not eligible to join their dad's clubs and who have been named in the under-16 squads include Western Australia's Koby LeCras (the son of ex-Roo Brent and nephew of former Eagle Mark) and South Australian Gabriel Patterson (son of former Magpie Stephen).

South Australia and Western Australia will play their first game of the under-16s carnival on Saturday in Adelaide, with the championships concluding in July on the Gold Coast. – Callum Twomey

I hope Port don't and we get him as a rookie or late pick. It's all about the brother
Yep who cares if he is any good, I don’t want to risk a Burgoyne (x with Phillips) anywhere near any other club if we can help it. If this was a race horse we would take him, make sure he got to 100 games to ensure future progeny then send him out to breed (with a Mitchell or a croad or who ever had a girl).

Shaun is a legend of the game and a freak, if his kid is half as good he would still be above average!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back