List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping that he would say that he has already played and won two VFL games with the Lions in the last few weeks!
The club doesn't even know if he will nominate for them. "He is holding all the cards".

The initial Allies extended squad has been named, with 6 Lions boys named, including Shadeau Brain (Quigley).

Early commentary on the draft board, is that there’s disappointment that 18 over agers have been named, and that potentially as few as 10 top agers might make the final squad, along with 2 or 3 bottom agers.

Gold Coast have 3 bottom agers in the squad, which goes with the belief they might have a strong academy presence in next year’s draft.

Allies squad announced for 2022 NAB AFL National Championships – Boys U18

NAMESURNAMEDOBSTATECOMMUNITY CLUBACADEMY/TEAM
NedStevens7/6/2003Northern TerritoryWaratahNT Thunder / Gold Coast Suns
RileyStone11/8/2003Northern TerritoryPalmerstonNT Thunder / Gold Coast Suns
AnthonyMunkara3/10/2004Northern TerritoryTiwi BombersWest Adelaide / NT Thunder
LloydJohnston21-09-04Northern TerritoryWanderersNT Thunder
BeauTedcastle29-03-04Northern TerritorySt Mary'sGWV Rebels / NT Thunder
FletcherHart1/7/2003NSW/ACTAlburyMurray Bushrangers
EthanGrace1/11/2003NSW/ACTEast Coast EaglesGWS Giants
TobyMurray3/11/2003NSW/ACTWangaratta RoversMurray Bushrangers
WillEdwards8/5/2003NSW/ACTManly Warringah WolvesSydney Swans
AngusCurry5/10/2004NSW/ACTTurvey ParkGWS Giants
HarryRowston12/8/2004NSW/ACTGriffith SwansGWS Giants
CaidenCleary5/3/2005NSW/ACTSydney UniversitySydney Swans
NickNewton13-05-04NSW/ACTHentyGWS Giants
JasonGillbee15-05-04NSW/ACTBalranaldBendigo Pioneers
TobyAlker16-03-03NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
LukeLawrence16-03-04NSW/ACTMangoplahGWS Giants
ChristianWebster16-07-04NSW/ACTPennant Hills DemonsSydney Swans
NickMadden17-05-04NSW/ACTOsborneGWS Giants
RyanEyres22-04-03NSW/ACTCorowa RutherglenMurray Bushrangers
LukeFellows25-02-03NSW/ACTTurvey ParkGWS Giants
AngusAnderson25-05-03NSW/ACTSawtell SaintsSydney Swans
JordanEndemann30-08-03NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
IndhiKirk31-08-04NSW/ACTUNSW BulldogsSydney Swans
JackManly4/2/2004QueenslandWilston GrangeBrisbane Lions
JoshuaCooper5/2/2004QueenslandAspleyBrisbane Lions
JakeRogers2/3/2005QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
EthanRead7/7/2005QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
JedWalter8/6/2005QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
ShadeauBrain13-02-04QueenslandNoosaBrisbane Lions
BrinnLittle14-04-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns Academy
JedFoggo15-05-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
MarlinCorbett18-02-04QueenslandSurfers ParadiseGold Coast Suns
LiamHude18-09-04QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
JamesLewis19-08-03QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
JaredEckersley22-03-04QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
LawsenFord23-12-03QueenslandBroadbeachGold Coast Suns
JaspaFletcher24-02-04QueenslandSherwoodBrisbane Lions
WilliamBella31-01-03QueenslandPalm Beach CurrumbinGold Coast Suns
LachlanCowan1/12/2004TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils
ColbyMcKercher12/4/2005TasmaniaLauncestonTasmania Devils
BrandonLeary13-05-03TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils
TomMcCallum15-09-04TasmaniaClarenceTasmania Devils
RyleySanders21-01-05TasmaniaNorth LauncestonSandringham Dragons
WillSplann25-10-03TasmaniaNorth HobartTasmania Devils
CameronOwen28-05-04TasmaniaClarenceTasmania Devils
SethCampbell29-12-04TasmaniaNorth LauncestonTasmania Devils

The initial Allies extended squad has been named, with 6 Lions boys named, including Shadeau Brain (Quigley).

Early commentary on the draft board, is that there’s disappointment that 18 over agers have been named, and that potentially as few as 10 top agers might make the final squad, along with 2 or 3 bottom agers.

Gold Coast have 3 bottom agers in the squad, which goes with the belief they might have a strong academy presence in next year’s draft.
I actually think that overages making the squad is actually good for the academy set up.
It might help to keep the boys engaged in the sport, especially if a few can get picked up in the draft.

I actually think that overages making the squad is actually good for the academy set up.
It might help to keep the boys engaged in the sport, especially if a few can get picked up in the draft.
I’m not sure any of the over agers get picked up, and they’re not all academy prospects.

I do believe it emphasises the dearth of talent this year across the four Northern academies.

Maybe Indi Kirk and Fletcher are the only academy kids who get drafted this year.

I’m most interested if the Lions get first access to Shadaeu Brain, and if he doesn’t get drafted, if he joins our academy as an over ager next year and if we get first access next year.

Curious if you actually know how much of a commitment the Lions have made to Will?

From what I’ve witnessed, Will has made a pretty big commitment to us.

He came up and did two weeks quarantine, just so he could join in with the 1 to 5 years preseason group.

He could have waited another two weeks, and come up with the draftees when the state border opened.

He has also attended every Lions game in Vic this year, including the Geelong game and the Western Bulldogs preseason game.

I’ve thought about this a bit and I think for Will it’s a no brainer to atleast start his career with the Lions. He might still be 50/50 on his long term career but for his development he can slot straight into a top four team with a good culture. If he decides to go back to Melbourne in 3-4 years, well, he’s only 22.

I’ve thought about this a bit and I think for Will it’s a no brainer to atleast start his career with the Lions. He might still be 50/50 on his long term career but for his development he can slot straight into a top four team with a good culture. If he decides to go back to Melbourne in 3-4 years, well, he’s only 22.

Agreed. If he does nominate us, I can see you changing your username, because the Eagles will be red hot on Dev - and the Dockers would have a sniff too. Obviously AFL quality , with 2 years development - but Ashcroft will be after the same spot he is.

Agreed. If he does nominate us, I can see you changing your username, because the Eagles will be red hot on Dev - and the Dockers would have a sniff too. Obviously AFL quality , with 2 years development - but Ashcroft will be after the same spot he is.
Agreed, i guess the issue most of us have is we are playing Lyons in a position where realistically he only has 1-2 years left of playing higher quality football than those underneath him (dev, tberry etc). So if you gave me a choice between Lyons and the kids after this season, we are going to get a much higher return on investment on the kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, i guess the issue most of us have is we are playing Lyons in a position where realistically he only has 1-2 years left of playing higher quality football than those underneath him (dev, tberry etc). So if you gave me a choice between Lyons and the kids after this season, we are going to get a much higher return on investment on the kids

Lyons to Tunstill transition in the works.
Zorko to Ashcroft.
Rich to Wilmot.

Don't have the next Neale yet, may take a miracle.

Zorko to Ashcroft.
Rich to Wilmot.

If Ashcroft isn’t our next Neale then we will struggle to get one, if Ashcroft comes to us he’ll be the best talent we get until we’re rebuilding again, or his brother is a jet as well.

If Ashcroft isn’t our next Neale then we will struggle to get one, if Ashcroft comes to us he’ll be the best talent we get until we’re rebuilding again, or his brother is a jet as well.
Yep, it's such bloody good timing that we have an elite junior talent in Ashcroft and a possible elite in Fletcher coming through during a time where we would have little hope of getting that level of talent in an open draft.

All we need now is an elite KPF to come through as a father/son or academy prospect over the next few years.:D

Zorko to Ashcroft.
Rich to Wilmot.

Rich for me is the closest to the edge. I can see Zorko with another 2 after this year I reckon as he has shown that he can play behind the ball.

If Ashcroft comes our way the most exciting thing is that he will add to our current midfield. I would love to see Dev be a bit more patient and take Lyons spot in the midfield in a year or two but I can understand if he doesn't.

Rich for me is the closest to the edge. I can see Zorko with another 2 after this year I reckon as he has shown that he can play behind the ball.

If Ashcroft comes our way the most exciting thing is that he will add to our current midfield. I would love to see Dev be a bit more patient and take Lyons spot in the midfield in a year or two but I can understand if he doesn't.
Rich was All Australian last year, not sure he’s ready to drop off that quickly and like Zorko has a couple of years of quality left in him.

Rich was All Australian last year, not sure he’s ready to drop off that quickly and like Zorko has a couple of years of quality left in him.
32 this year and 33 next. Hes always been a 'solid' body type and not the quickest and can see next year being his last.

I'm wondering if the possible drafting of Ashcroft and the non-renewal of Dev's contract are directly related. If Ashcroft is taken as a F/S would that further impact on Dev's inability to get game time?

32 this year and 33 next. Hes always been a 'solid' body type and not the quickest and can see next year being his last.
Yet despite that so called “solid” body type had a career best year in his 13th season.

Hodge was probably the slowest player I’ve seen in the past 20 years when he finished up but played a solid role.

Rich has also barely missed a game since he did his ACL so despite a few posters throwing out the fat angle he must be in pretty decent Nick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back