List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question. Can someone explain how we are going to get enough points for Levi, Marshall and potentially a third rort like gallop?

Don’t we need about double the points we have now?

Probably depends on how confident we are that the media pundits are over rating them as usual

Levi won't go number 1 and I really think Marshall will slide. Gallop likely free

Probably depends on how confident we are that the media pundits are over rating them as usual

Levi won't go number 1 and I really think Marshall will slide. Gallop likely free

Levi will surely go 2 at worst. Probably agree he won’t go 1 for reasons unrelated to his natural ranking but for the f/s rule.

For completenes in Twomey's top 30 is Sam Marshall:

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_September-Straps_23_FA-1x.jpg

Marshall has gone somewhat under the radar but the Lions are getting a second good one through their doors alongside Levi Ashcroft. The Academy product was excellent in Sunday's Coates Talent League clash for the Dragons, having 27 disposals and booting a terrific goal after dodging some opponents. Finding the ball comes easy for the 185cm midfielder, who averaged 27 disposals (nearly 10 contested) for the Allies at the carnival.

Last edited:
Serious question. Can someone explain how we are going to get enough points for Levi, Marshall and potentially a third rort like gallop?

Its very unlikely Levi actually gets bid on with pick 1 to start with. Just as good chance he slips to 4 or 5 with how even the top seems to be

We are obviously going to trade our first pick to Richmond for a heap of later picks and a wink wink nudge nudge that they won't bid on Levi. Look at all the junk picks the Tigers have:

1726624533095.png

Let's say we get 29, 39, 41 and 47 for our first pick, which is currently pick 15 - we net about 700ish points, and those picks traded in are worth about 1827 points, and we need to find just over 2000 points to match a pick 2 bid on Levi - so 200 more which is easy enough to do. Obviously, all this picks are going to change based on our finishing position and FA compo etc.

Richmond are going to have that many first rounders that they may not even use pick 29, so I do think that's a pretty good chance to go along with the round 3 picks. They'll have a first rounder for Rioli, likely several for Bolton, and then whatever they get for Baker as well (don't remember if he is just out of contract or a free agent). How many picks will they actually use? 6 at most?

We then do live trades on draft night to give us some more points to match a second round bid on Marshall - AFL hasn't closed that loophole either, lol. So as far as I know on draft night we can still trade in more late draft picks than we have list spots available. If it's a second round bid on Marshall, then any deficit applies to our future second round pick - not our future first.

I'm not compromising access to Annable under more restrictive bidding next year, so if there was a first round bid on Marshall and it would mean going into deficit, then I wouldn't match.

Third round bid on Gallop is unimportant - I'm sure we could find enough late points. The meaningless picks at the end of the draft that you sometimes end up with after matching a bid with surplus points then come in even further on draft night as other academy/Father sons are taken.

In summary: no concern on Levi, and we'd find a spot for Gallop if he even gets bid on I think. If Marshall got a first round bid then we are in a tougher spot, and I'd personally decline it unless we found a heap of other points.

Agree with you on how will we get both. The club will have a better idea on how this will be achieved.
Also agree with the posters above regarding Levi, i doubt he goes number 1. Our best hope is he falls to 5.
One thing is certain we will take Levi. If we can't maneuver enough points to get Marshall that's just bad luck.
Marshall somewhere 30+ just going on reading a few ranking articles
According to the sticky at the top of the thread we have 1466 points with us having pick 14 at present.
Should we win the GF (can only hope) that will be reduced by 176 points to 1290

Using 1290 points, that means we have to find anything from 715 to 1613 points going on the below

If Levi goes at 1 (3000) and Marshall at 30 (629) that's 3629 points less 20% discount = 2903
If Levi goes at 2 (2517) and Marshall at 30 (629) that's 3146 points less 20% discount = 2516
If Levi goes at 3 (2234) and Marshall at 30 (629) that's 2863 points less 20% discount = 2290
If Levi goes at 4 (2034) and Marshall at 30 (629) that's 2663 points less 20% discount = 2130
If Levi goes at 5 (1878) and Marshall at 30 (629) that's 2507 points less 20% discount = 2005
Some fringe players may request a trade, so we may get some 3rd/4th round picks to trade if anyone interested
The club may have their eye on an existing player. If so, that will most likely cost us something.
That's unknown so leave that one for now but that won't help our cause if a pick is involved.

Trading our future 1st round if we win the GF.
That is pick 18 and is currently worth 985 points.
But next year the points will change and i can't find that points chart.
The AFL announced that points for 2025 will only be allocated up to pick 54 and not up to 73.
Pick 55-73 is a total of 1971 points. They may plan to just drop them altogether or more likely increase certain picks to that value.

One thing is certain we will be trading out our future 1st pick. Hopefully a few clubs are desperate for that pick.

We are obviously going to trade our first pick to Richmond for a heap of later picks and a wink wink nudge nudge that they won't bid on Levi. Look at all the junk picks the Tigers have:

View attachment 2113931

Let's say we get 29, 39, 41 and 47 for our first pick, which is currently pick 15 - we net about 700ish points, and those picks traded in are worth about 1827 points, and we need to find just over 2000 points to match a pick 2 bid on Levi - so 200 more which is easy enough to do. Obviously, all this picks are going to change based on our finishing position and FA compo etc.

Richmond are going to have that many first rounders that they may not even use pick 29, so I do think that's a pretty good chance to go along with the round 3 picks. They'll have a first rounder for Rioli, likely several for Bolton, and then whatever they get for Baker as well (don't remember if he is just out of contract or a free agent). How many picks will they actually use? 6 at most?

We then do live trades on draft night to give us some more points to match a second round bid on Marshall - AFL hasn't closed that loophole either, lol. So as far as I know on draft night we can still trade in more late draft picks than we have list spots available. If it's a second round bid on Marshall, then any deficit applies to our future second round pick - not our future first.

I'm not compromising access to Annable under more restrictive bidding next year, so if there was a first round bid on Marshall and it would mean going into deficit, then I wouldn't match.

Third round bid on Gallop is unimportant - I'm sure we could find enough late points. The meaningless picks at the end of the draft that you sometimes end up with after matching a bid with surplus points then come in even further on draft night as other academy/Father sons are taken.

In summary: no concern on Levi, and we'd find a spot for Gallop if he even gets bid on I think. If Marshall got a first round bid then we are in a tougher spot, and I'd personally decline it unless we found a heap of other points.

Awesome summary, thank you.

Who does he replace? With Kiddy also coming in
Wilmott. Can see Darcy playing more time on the wing next year. Calm down it is just an option. We are pretty stacked in that midfield and half forward spot while halfbacks is something we could use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilmott. Can see Darcy playing more time on the wing next year. Calm down it is just an option. We are pretty stacked in that midfield and half forward spot while halfbacks is something we could use.

Calm down?

Couldn't Levi play wing?

Just trying to understand why we'd play someone out of position where there really isn't a need to

View attachment 2113931

If all that happens great
But other clubs may be interested in a Tigers deal also.
Then the Tigers may want to use quite a few to trade a top player/players in. I suppose they could use our 15-18 for that

If all that happens great
But other clubs may be interested in a Tigers deal also.
Then the Tigers may want to use quite a few to trade a top player/players in. I suppose they could use our 15-18 for that

We are the obvious choice - they are already going to get GC's first pick for RIoli, and no other F/S or academy player is going to be taken that high.

Wait is Annable a potential high draft pick next year.

Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

Wait is Annable a potential high draft pick next year.

Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

:cool:

Daniel Annable and Harrison Bridge at least

Annable was incredible in the QAFL Elimination final on the weekend.

23 disposals, 14 contested, 11 clearances and 7 tackles in a pretty red hot game.

Joe Kennedy was good for the oppo and 2024 prospect Caleb Nancarrow who has been ordinary for 18 months put in a massive last quarter than turned the game and nearly got his side over the line, his athleticism in the ruck was game changing.

If you were there live, Annable was a class above in a pretty high standard senior mens state league game. The stream wouldn't do it justice. His kicking has really improved.

Annable will be a single figure draft pick. He's way ahead of where Lombard was this time last year.

Arnold is no good and the Lions obviously didn't rate him. Would take Gilder or Richardson over him, and in all honesty - think they probably go undrafted at this point.

Annable - absolute star.

Annable is a renowned contested ball winner but dominated Saturday’s proceedings with his work rate and sheer accumulation factor. The Lions Academy standout started on-ball but had stints on the wing, showcasing a handy balance of traits in either role. His clean hands and quick thinking were useful in tight spots, while a strong running base saw him spread hard and find space in attacking phases. He was simply everywhere at times and hardly lost a contest.

View attachment 2113931

The problem with not matching a bid on Sam Marshall for arguments sake say around the teens or anywhere for that matter is we will likely not have a pick to take a player shortly after that bid who is of commensurate ability/potential.

All our picks after matching the Levi Ashcroft bid will be junk late picks and only good for matching purposes.

I think it is very safe to say that we will be matching Marshall. We get a second free hit at talent that we otherwise wouldn't get because of our position on the ladder and our matching with Ashcroft. The club will be targeting a certain number of points to put together based off of player trade outs and pick downgrades, but even if we don't manage to hit that exact number I'd expect us to take the hit on next year's first round pick with the assumption that it will both be a late pick and eaten by matches yet again.

Another fantastic game from Levi as he propels his Dragons towards what feels like an inevitable 3rd straight Talent League flag. He played more in the forward 50 this week, but still racked up a stack of the footy and damaged with his use by hand and foot kicking two goals of his own and setting up teammates for scoring opportunities.

Another fantastic game from Levi as he propels his Dragons towards what feels like an inevitable 3rd straight Talent League flag. He played more in the forward 50 this week, but still racked up a stack of the footy and damaged with his use by hand and foot kicking two goals of his own and setting up teammates for scoring opportunities.

Thse Sandringham Dragons team seems to have produced a hell of a lot of solid AFL players in recent years, more than the so called Footy Factory that is Geelong Falcons I'd have thought. I have no facts to back that up, just the vibe of the thing.

Thse Sandringham Dragons team seems to have produced a hell of a lot of solid AFL players in recent years, more than the so called Footy Factory that is Geelong Falcons I'd have thought. I have no facts to back that up, just the vibe of the thing.
Sandringham Dragons are perfectly positioned to pull in all the kids that get footy scholarships to attend Brighton Grammer and Haileybury. They're increasingly becoming the dominant force in that comp and I can't see it changing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back