Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not think it is much better which is why I disagree when people say it is the answer.
2MP has actually produced as the second ruck in a few games and despite him being poor last night and having some average games he has still been better than Draper as a forward.
I do not really care about short term fixes that may make us 2% better.
I don't think any of wright, draper or Bryan are long term solutions in ruck or up forward unfortunately.
Probably why Brad was talking about patience at start of year as he would know as well as anyone that the list has some big holes. At least he has them playing a well drilled and honest/gritty game, big tick as coach for me so far.

I don't think any of wright, draper or Bryan are long term solutions in ruck or up forward unfortunately.
Probably why Brad was talking about patience at start of year as he would know as well as anyone that the list has some big holes. At least he has them playing a well drilled and honest/gritty game, big tick as coach for me so far.
Agree.

Bereft of functionality and ball comes out too easy

With my coaches hat on i'd go with:

2MP - CHF up the ground getting kicks and leads honoured - is no good when he's not got his hands on the footy - also allows Goldy to be a kick behind the play - obv can kick a long ball and hit up a lead

If Saad played HBF this frees Martin to play a more WING/HFF role he could rotate with Cox and Perkins to try to get a mis match and easier scoring access and options

I'd like to see Langers higher up the ground also and rotating different players through the other pocket

Kinda like 1993 when it was really only Salmon as the staple up forward and Bewick, Misiti, Mercs, Hird, Kickett, Watson, Plain, Symons, Somerville all getting mid and forward minutes.

Bereft of functionality and ball comes out too easy

With my coaches hat on i'd go with:

2MP - CHF up the ground getting kicks and leads honoured - is no good when he's not got his hands on the footy - also allows Goldy to be a kick behind the play - obv can kick a long ball and hit up a lead

If Saad played HBF this frees Martin to play a more WING/HFF role he could rotate with Cox and Perkins to try to get a mis match and easier scoring access and options

I'd like to see Langers higher up the ground also and rotating different players through the other pocket

Kinda like 1993 when it was really only Salmon as the staple up forward and Bewick, Misiti, Mercs, Hird, Kickett, Watson, Plain, Symons, Somerville all getting mid and forward minutes.

We don't have anyone in the class of Salmon at the moment unfortunately.

It’s a pity Reid is injured again I was hoping to see Laverde retried as a forward. Think we could really use someone with his strength in the contest

Nah, Laverde would make the issue worse IMO.

his marking technique is all sorts of bad.

Nah, Laverde would make the issue worse IMO.

his marking technique is all sorts of bad.

It’s more about not being out marked. Langford is more a leading player and Wright and Jones are just horrible at wrestling under a high ball.

On a slow play we need to able to kick long and deep to a pocket and trust our forwards to bring it to ground.

It’s more about not being out marked. Langford is more a leading player and Wright and Jones are just horrible at wrestling under a high ball.

On a slow play we need to able to kick long and deep to a pocket and trust our forwards to bring it to ground.

Forward Laverde just gets injured, this is known, like the sky being blue.

This is our biggest issue right now. These guys do not have the ability to get up and back and get seperation from their opponents. I know the kicking in isnt great but its because there is not obvious space to work it into.

We would be the worst team in the comp at winning loose ball in the forward 80 that causes defenders to lose shape and panic.

Do not think that the combination we have can work into the future.
2MP is a FWD/2nd ruck and not the number 1 KPF.
My view is Stringer and Langford along with 2MP or a ruck will not work.
Everyone knows we need more speed in the small forwards.
Caddy looks like he can fix one issue which is the only shining light.

2026 forward line 🤞 -
Martin Caddy Gresham
Langford O. Allen Kako

Hopefully throw in Stengle if he can be tempted away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forward line has gone to shit since Davey has gone out. Not sure what is it due to his lack of production but it definitely runs a lot more Cohesively when he’s in. We are far too tall and slow atm

Do not think that the combination we have can work into the future.
2MP is a FWD/2nd ruck and not the number 1 KPF.
My view is Stringer and Langford along with 2MP or a ruck will not work.
Everyone knows we need more speed in the small forwards.
Caddy looks like he can fix one issue which is the only shining light.

Couldn’t agree more re 2MP.

Be it Caddy or someone else as the no.1, he needs to be the no.2 KPF/back up ruck

The mix doesn’t work as it is now.

For now, if they don’t want to play Caddy, I think they at least need to give up the dual ruck setup and bring in a Davey or someone similar.

Couldn’t agree more re 2MP.

Be it Caddy or someone else as the no.1, he needs to be the no.2 KPF/back up ruck

The mix doesn’t work as it is now.

For now, if they don’t want to play Caddy, I think they at least need to give up the dual ruck setup and bring in a Davey or someone similar.

Or Just drop Stringer.

right now one of Jake/Kyle is being picked as a pressure forward and neither can play that role

Or Just drop Stringer.

right now one of Jake/Kyle is being picked as a pressure forward and neither can play that role

I think I’d be leaving Langford out before Stringer - I still think Langers is hurt. Something’s off.

Stringer is kicking goals and provides at least minor pressure, where Langers doesn’t provide any.

Or Just drop Stringer.

Who plays pressure forward ? Long term I am not seeing this forward mix working but the pressure forward cabinet is a bit bare right now. People where complaining about Hobbs doing it . Same with Davey . Who gets the role ?

The problem in part is Stringer, Langford and Wright will often rotate who kicks the goals one week. So we end up with them being seen as undroppable because they recently kicked a mini bag. But in the meantime their combined lack of defense and pressure on the opposition ball carrier is the killer. We looked much more balanced forward when Wright was out injured, Harry at FF and Alwyn putting on perceived pressure with his elite pace.

Who plays pressure forward ? Long term I am not seeing this forward mix working but the pressure forward cabinet is a bit bare right now. People where complaining about Hobbs doing it . Same with Davey . Who gets the role ?

I think typically teams have 3 small/deep pressure forwards
For this year.

I don’t mind the Gresham/Hind/Guelfi trio. Merrett has been pretty good there resting forward too and Parish is capable when he’s back.

I think where it’s breaking down is further upfield in the Midfield/HF and with the lack of fast Medium players in the side. Perkins is a pretty good HF as is Durham and long term they probably fill that role/rotation but this season we don’t really have the size to play them outside the midfield*

The easiest shuffle seems to be putting a Small player to HB (where we oddly have an abundance of mediums) and Martin to the wing which would free up Dursma to play HF (but even this doesn’t seem ideal as Dursma has been really good playing wing) hence Menzie being tried there and we used a Mid Season Draft pick to try and fill that spot.

Personally I think with Parish, Hobbs, Tsatas and Sheil having past/future expectations of being elite mids I don’t see why they are playing them out of position/VFL/emergency to prioritise Menzie at HB when Caldwell seems the perfect short term solution. And it would raise the trade value of Parish/Hobbs/Sheil if they aren’t in next years plans.

Long term. I talls and big mids seem the major issue. I think the list needs a lot of work. Hopefully Daveys work out and are an upgrade on Gresham/Guelf

KPF2 = Caddy
kPF3 = Langford
mid/F1 Durham
Mid/F2 Perkins
Pressure 1 ????
Pressure 2 Gresham
Pressure 3 Guelfi

* unless 2021 Stringer returns.

Last edited:
I thing Hind is better back (running forward into space) but right now, he feels like the only guy with genuine pace and enough impact to pressure in the F50.

I'm on the "No Wright" bandwagon I think. He's the least reliable of the FF rotators. As much as I like having him as second ruck I'm not sure the fwd line can tolerate that many talls. Something like this seems the best balance of what we currently have.

FF: Stringer Langford Davey
HF: Guelfi Jones Gresham

7th: Hind

Stringer rotating with the resting mid for cbas. It's not perfect but I think the times our fwd line has looked the most functional has been close to this.

Perkins also maybe an odd one out here. Needs form in the Magoos. Have him run around with Tsatas and Hobbs in the guts so they can get used to playing together, get a sense as to whether the combo can work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back