Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to move away from the key position and more a pseudo / hybrid forward line.

Stringer - Caddy - Guelfi
Gresham - Langford - someone that can lead and mark

Sick to death of the dump kicks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That doesn’t solve our forward line issue of not having smalls with genuine speed and goal sense

That doesn’t solve our forward line issue of not having smalls with genuine speed and goal sense

True..

We NEED. A game changing small forward. An electric one who can turn a game on its head

Pickett showed what we need. Unfortunately we have a plethora of list spots tied up in that position

True..

We NEED. A game changing small forward. An electric one who can turn a game on its head

Pickett showed what we need. Unfortunately we have a plethora of list spots tied up in that position

Yep well we need to cut a lot of them because they aren’t up to it. Ainsworth isn’t it, will be very disappointed if he’s the one we sign, he’s exactly what we don’t need. Would love the year to be 2020 so we could be guaranteed kako

A forward line containing Menzie, Guelfi, Gresham combined for the following;

Menzie
2 marks
0 tackles
0 goals

Guelfi
1 mark
3 tackles (this is being generous I think, 2 being in the middle of the ground iirc)
0 goals

Gresham
1 mark
2 tackles
2 goals (1 Joe the goose from an advantage call)

SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The worst part is the ones we have in reserve are not ready or good enough. I desperately want to carry Guelfi for his toughness when "on" but we simply cannot play he and Menzie in the same fwd line. Gresham is simply a small, small, SMALL upgrade on Will Snelling as a link between mid - forward lines with a slightly better goal nous. Unfortunately stuck with him for the next few years as another masterstroke piece of list management unless we can get him to play closer to goal

I have a concern about Kako going forward as well; that he is also more of a Gresham-type small half forward than a Walla-type small.

Can anyone confirm if my fear is justified?
from what I have seen and read, he is a Tyson Stegle type. At least has some wheels and is dynamic enough to make things happen.

I have a concern about Kako going forward as well; that he is also more of a Gresham-type small half forward than a Walla-type small.

He is not a Walla type make a lot of run down tackles small forward but Walla did that more based on his positioning was not always spot on but he had the closing speed enabled him to be dangerous if he was anywhere in the area .
Kako is not that type but he is not Gresham either. He has a serious burst of speed and if you watch his games or even the highlights you can see his crumbing positioning is really good. He sets up front and center really well. He is more like Walla than Gresham as far as attack on the footy goes. He can have games where he sprays a lot of shots at goal which is an issue and you do not se him use the left side much.
So basically. No he is not a run down tackle small forward as such but he is a genuine crumbing forward on what he has been doing and he can play up the ground when needed. He has speed. He is good at ground level. He plays hard footy. Kicking is most likely the by product of playing like a bull at a gate most of the time.

A forward line containing Menzie, Guelfi, Gresham combined for the following;

Menzie
2 marks
0 tackles
0 goals

Guelfi
1 mark
3 tackles (this is being generous I think, 2 being in the middle of the ground iirc)
0 goals

Gresham
1 mark
2 tackles
2 goals (1 Joe the goose from an advantage call)

SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The worst part is the ones we have in reserve are not ready or good enough. I desperately want to carry Guelfi for his toughness when "on" but we simply cannot play he and Menzie in the same fwd line. Gresham is simply a small, small, SMALL upgrade on Will Snelling as a link between mid - forward lines with a slightly better goal nous. Unfortunately stuck with him for the next few years as another masterstroke piece of list management unless we can get him to play closer to goal
This IS our major issue. How many time do we have the game on our terms but put zero scoreboard pressure.

Our smalls get nowhere near the fall of the ball. We need to target a gun to come in and help the Davey's get there.

The likes of Bolton, Hill, Cameron. Need a gun small. No more b & c graders.

Let's wait till he's drafted before worrying about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you look at another small fwd as well ant555 ? one who can mark a high ball or would you be ok with Guelfi doing this if we had a completely different small fwd next to him (like Kako) ?
I would. Guelfi is a bit of a battler who has his moments and will give you the effort but his lack of speed hurts him . They got Gresham but even he is more of a stop gap guy for a few seasons as they wanted another mature guy because the likes of Davey x 2 need physical development and Wanganeen is injury prone. It is why they where interested in Ainsworth. The thing is it will be something we will have to do over a 2 or 3 year period. Guelfi would be an ideal player if he had some more speed. He can mark. He is hard at the contest but he is just another plodder in a sea of plodders in our forward half.
It would be good to have a Jamie Elliot type. Kako if he replicates his crumbing ability and then a run down pressure guy with speed.

Interesting reading.

I thought the better small forwards would be a lot higher as far as tackles inside 50.

Tyson Stengle (33 goals - 41st for tackles inside 50)
Tom Papley (30 goals - 72nd)
Charlie Cameron (27 - 22nd)
Kossie Pickett (27 - 36th)

interesting the dynamic small forwards we are talking about, 100% interesting that Charlie Cameron leads all small forwards with marks inside 50 with a 1.88 mark I50 per game and sits 32nd in this category. Bobby Hill and Tom Papley are ranked 47th with 1.59 marks inside 50 per game

I will give my opinion of the difference between the Davey boys and Kako is. The Davey boys tend to sit on the edge of the contest looking for the ball to clear so they can find space. Kako tend to set up on the edge of the contest and pounce on the footy as soon as he has an opportunity and use the speed to clear the contest. I think it is this style that leads to Kako kicking under pressure or at speed a lot which causes a lot of the inconsistencies.

The whole structure of the forward line is out of whack. So many times our 4 deepest forwards on Friday was a resting ruck caddy Langford and stringer. Couple that with the smalls that we have aren’t that quick and don’t apply a lot of pressure. It’s why the side did look better when Davey was playing, regardless of his disposal count, and also Hobbs in the front half as another small contested type.

The whole structure of the forward line is out of whack. So many times our 4 deepest forwards on Friday was a resting ruck caddy Langford and stringer. Couple that with the smalls that we have aren’t that quick and don’t apply a lot of pressure. It’s why the side did look better when Davey was playing, regardless of his disposal count, and also Hobbs in the front half as another small contested type.
Agreed, we probably need to play only 2 of Stringer, Caddy, Langford, 2MP & a resting ruck. At times we played 4 and it looks cumbersome with very little pressure. In saying that, Stringer is a surprisingly good pressure forward

The old logo- SPEED KILLS.
Truthfully we are slow all around the ground. Kayo’s speed is needed but as a team we need to get quicker. Also reaction times are slow. Cox,Jones, Perkins etc should improve this with experience, this can give you half a metre advantage and make you seem quicker. Davey has pace but doesn’t like the contest and runs to or starts in bad spots. A lot of this goes back to coaching and preparation, development.

The old logo- SPEED KILLS.
Truthfully we are slow all around the ground. Kayo’s speed is needed but as a team we need to get quicker. Also reaction times are slow. Cox,Jones, Perkins etc should improve this with experience, this can give you half a metre advantage and make you seem quicker. Davey has pace but doesn’t like the contest and runs to or starts in bad spots. A lot of this goes back to coaching and preparation, development.
It all depends on your internet connection.

Interesting reading.

I thought the better small forwards would be a lot higher as far as tackles inside 50.

I'd be more interested to see the stats on who is being tackled the most inside 50 as that would be an indicator of who is getting their hands on the footy in contested/loose ball situations, which is just as important for holding the footy in plus scoring of course.

I'd be more interested to see the stats on who is being tackled the most inside 50 as that would be an indicator of who is getting their hands on the footy in contested/loose ball situations, which is just as important for holding the footy in plus scoring of course.
Or also who is slow and makes slow decisions :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back