2024 Grand Final registration reminder

Remove this Banner Ad

Parents were in Swans p3 no luck.

While one mate got p2 level 4 middle, another p2 standing.

High demand from Sydney.
It would be interesting to see both clubs breakup of P1 & P2
17,500 tickets for both clubs and i am assuming both did not sell more P1 (September members) than that total.

I don't know but guessing Clubs keep a certain number of those 17,500 for P2 as a reward for following the club.
A big guess here but let's say 2,000-2,500
We made the GF last year so that gave them an idea of the demand from each group including P3 who may have got tickets last year.
The club would have adjusted their breakup on those 2023 numbers for the 2024 season.

Each year our membership grows, so if people want to go to the GF in future a September membership is the way to go.
Thats if you can get one after the membership renewal come out in November.

It would be interesting to see both clubs breakup of P1 & P2
17,500 tickets for both clubs and i am assuming both did not sell more P1 (September members) than that total.

I don't know but guessing Clubs keep a certain number of those 17,500 for P2 as a reward for following the club.
A big guess here but let's say 2,000-2,500
We made the GF last year so that gave them an idea of the demand from each group including P3 who may have got tickets last year.
The club would have adjusted their breakup on those 2023 numbers for the 2024 season.

Each year our membership grows, so if people want to go to the GF in future a September membership is the way to go.
Thats if you can get one after the membership renewal come out in November.

Agreed. I think members who possibly missed out or had FOMO from last years GF may have upgraded to P1 for this year hence so many p2 missing out. Ive certainly learnt my lesson. I will be upgrading after missing out this year. Hope fully I can find a spare with flights and accommodations booked already.

Sorry to hear about your wife SRH17. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

If you u do end up with tickets I would be love to purchase them from you. We are P2 and just got standing tickets. Unfortunately my partner broke his foot on Friday 😭 so unless I can find some tickets to buy we will be watching from home this year and giving up our standing tickets.

Sorry to hear about your wife SRH17. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

If you u do end up with tickets I would be love to purchase them from you. We are P2 and just got standing tickets. Unfortunately my partner broke his foot on Friday 😭 so unless I can find some tickets to buy we will be watching from home this year and giving up our standing tickets.
Hi kezb sorry to hear about your partner’s foot. If you’re interested in selling your standing tickets I’d love to buy them from you. I’m after 2 tickets - one for me and the other for my 11 year old - we travelled down to Melbourne hoping to be lucky in the ballot, only to miss out. Devastated!

Heard that tickets were going for more than $1000 so beware of scammers and profiteers.

I also hope that some of newly registered Lions fans will stick around and get involved with board.
I missed out and a family friend is an AFL gold member, figured I’d ask them and they’re selling at $1500.

Absolute greed lol, I said no thanks that’s ridiculous

Ended up middle of Q1 so in the shade but don’t reckon we will be able to sit there with the missus vertigo.

Anyone up for a swap (once scanned in of course), happy to cop the sun! DM me 😎. If not might have to sell because don’t reckon she’d last
Hi Roytheloinboy can you please let me know if you’d like to sell? Travelled down to Melb on a gamble but missed out in the ballot. Keen for two tickets, allocated or standing.

I'd assume most clubs would sell most of their 17,500 as September Memberships or whatever their equivalent is. If you think about it, every one of those memberships they sell is free money. BUT you have to balance that with giving hope for people who can't afford as much on memberships and give them some hope as P2. How you manage that balance is tricky - a good club would not get too greedy. Of course there will always be some p1 who don't put in for the ballot so they go to P2 as well. Am i right in thinking last year all P2 got them and some P3, whereas this year not all P2 did and therefore no P3? This is just part of being a bigger club.

I do think the AFL has made a bit of a rod for its own back with the AFL Membership / medallion access.

Members of competing clubs get 35k
MCC get 22,500 - that ain't changing. Nothing the AFL can do about that.
AFL members PLUS medallion members (stadium owned by AFL) get 19k. 15.5k are the afl members. This was a category created by the AFL as another cash cow in the year 2000. It's now a behemoth with a waiting list for Gold nearly as long as the MCC. It's like gambling revenue for Victoria - once it's there it's very had to turn off.

Could they trim the 7k for 'afl contractual obligations' - good luck when they need to keep getting more money for broadcast rights.
7.5k for corporate sales functions? That's a lot of tickets for fat cats!
5k for afl clubs - i do wonder if these will go one day. this is just another way for an afl club NOT competing to make money. surely all clubs would be happy to do away with these and increase allocation to 20k, the clubs could still make money by having more september members, and more fans would get in via their clubs

Agreed. I think members who possibly missed out or had FOMO from last years GF may have upgraded to P1 for this year hence so many p2 missing out. Ive certainly learnt my lesson. I will be upgrading after missing out this year. Hope fully I can find a spare with flights and accommodations booked already.
Or it could be September members this season were more prepared financially to afford to go down. September member quota was already full by the start of last season (2023). Briefly reopened when the gf club allocation increased for this year, but then that was it. Your only chance will be for a brief time later this year. Anyone wanting guaranteed gf tickets will need to rely on current September members not renewing for next year.

I'd assume most clubs would sell most of their 17,500 as September Memberships or whatever their equivalent is. If you think about it, every one of those memberships they sell is free money. BUT you have to balance that with giving hope for people who can't afford as much on memberships and give them some hope as P2. How you manage that balance is tricky - a good club would not get too greedy.
I am certain the full quota of 17500 September memberships would be given out. September membership is not really extra money. It’s literally $40-$50. And the club is not greedy when an SM comes with an extra 4 free guest passes to use during the home and away season. So it’s not even a cash grab. Anyone who can afford to fly down and book accomodation, can afford a September membership.

Everyone in P2 gets the same hope, it’s just in the form of hoping to get your hands on a September membership opening, opposed to getting lucky in the ballot. Pre season is when that hope of opportunity for getting a guaranteed ticket becomes at its highest or not. Not in September, that’s all.

Last edited:
I am certain the full quota of 17500 September memberships would be given out. September membership is not really extra money. It’s literally $40-$50. And the club is not greedy when an SM comes with an extra 4 free guest passes to use during the home and away season. So it’s not even a cash grab. Anyone who can afford to fly down and book accomodation, can afford a September membership.

Everyone in P2 gets the same hope, it’s just in the form of hoping to get your hands on a September membership opening, opposed to getting lucky in the ballot. Pre season is when that hope of opportunity for getting a guaranteed ticket becomes at its highest or not. Not in September, that’s all.
i didn't know it came with guest passes - but even then they are hoping to get new ppl in i guess.

and it's gone up to $100 i think? that's what they slugged me for adding on recently!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to be stood corrected but I don’t believe it’s anywhere near 17,500; closer to 10,000. I think the club might be mindful there are some of us who have paid for a SM since it came out, which would be somewhat unfair if they jacked up the number?

i didn't know it came with guest passes - but even then they are hoping to get new ppl in i guess.

and it's gone up to $100 i think? that's what they slugged me for adding on recently!
It was $50 for automatic renewals in November last year.
Maybe they charged more for anyone upgrading during the year.
If that was the case maybe they might increase the auto renewal for September membership to $100 this November.

You can check if it was $100 charged via: Membership - Account activity.
When you say recently was that when the AFL released additional tickets to participating clubs announced in July

Happy to be stood corrected but I don’t believe it’s anywhere near 17,500; closer to 10,000. I think the club might be mindful there are some of us who have paid for a SM since it came out, which would be somewhat unfair if they jacked up the number?
It would be silly of the Club to cap the September membership at 10K as you suggested.
The club will sell as many as they can that does not exceed the allocated total. This year it increased to 17,500.
The club would retain some tickets for their own benefit. The remainder would be for SM sales.
It just happens in Nov 2023 when renewals were processed, all September Memberships were taken up again and reached their limit.
I believe this is the first time that has happened.

Why is it unfair to people that have paid SM for many years. Thats their decision to make at the time.
It would not surprise me if September membership in the bad old days was around 1,000 maybe less. A donation really.
Just imagine if the club decided to be fair to those SM and put a generous cap of say 1,500 and held that number to 2024 or forever.

It would be silly of the Club to cap the September membership at 10K as you suggested.
The club will sell as many as they can that does not exceed the allocated total. This year it increased to 17,500.
The club would retain some tickets for their own benefit. The remainder would be for SM sales.
It just happens in Nov 2023 when renewals were processed, all September Memberships were taken up again and reached their limit.
I believe this is the first time that has happened.

Why is it unfair to people that have paid SM for many years. Thats their decision to make at the time.
It would not surprise me if September membership in the bad old days was around 1,000 maybe less. A donation really.
Just imagine if the club decided to be fair to those SM and put a generous cap of say 1,500 and held that number to 2024 or forever.

We started paying SM in 2016. The thoughts atm are we see one gf win them we do watch parties at home if we make it again in the few years after that win but travel to other finals (want to experience the g with 90k actual team fans. Must be awesome atmosphere). It's only 4 if it's that travel and we give a much larger group watching back here who we'd love to share the experience with.

Need to keep the SM for the other finals.

I couldn't imagine buying gf tickets and scalping them. Sure we could make a few dollars but I'd rather the tickets were made available through the ballot to actual paid up lions members.

Why would it be unfair?

Why would it be unfair?

The option has been there for years. Those who have invested/donated for a long time (when we were shit), when there were limited numbers, to be guaranteed a ticket when we finally became a contender, should feel somewhat befuddled if the club just jacked up the number. Clearly an unpopular opinion.

The option has been there for years. Those who have invested/donated for a long time (when we were shit), when there were limited numbers, to be guaranteed a ticket when we finally became a contender, should feel somewhat befuddled if the club just jacked up the number. Clearly an unpopular opinion.
You pay September membership ($50) each season which guarantees access to gf ticket for that season alone. In 2015 I paid SM. In 2024 I paid SM. Nothings changed, I gain guaranteed ticket to the grand final should the lions participate in that year. The number of SMs doesn’t change the fact you are guaranteed to get a gf ticket.

What WOULD be unfair is if the Lions decided to cap SMs above the 17500 allocation, and you no longer had a guarantee as a SM. That would be unfair. So I’m not quite sure what you are getting at.

Last edited:
Why? All clubs have a membership level guaranteeing a GF ticket capped at a certain number. It’s why some have paid it all these years.
It would be silly because there are 17500 guaranteed tickets available. Why not give as many members the peace of mind guarantee that the club can? Every single club will have the SMs capped at the maximum number they can. Because that’s what logically makes sense. Not all 17500 people with SMs will use it, that’s why P2s, even some P3s can get lucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Grand Final registration reminder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back