Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just went back and watched the contest where Pearce hurt his arm. Didn't look like a huge amount of impact which hopefully means it's just a knock and nothing more.

Time will tell.

Is there an arm chair critic that thought this would be a good idea for Pearce?

Staggering.
Wouldn't personally say it was a good idea but definitely within the realms of an acceptable risk when it comes to what teams do across the competition. There's players out there with broken ribs, torn ligaments, small fractures etc. for every single team across the comp. That and we've seen multiple players successfully play with a forearm splint over the last 10 years after a fracture.

Part of me was worried though that Alex doesn't exactly have a typical history with fractures.

Everyone seemed so confident that the plate was strong enough to keep structural integrity and that it was just risk of wound infection that stopped him from coming back earlier. Now one knock to the arm and he’s looking at missing again? Sounds like a bit of negligence from the medicos
Fwiw Jack Darling had basically the same thing last season and played out the season, and I don't think his performance suffered.

Granted, it's not like it could get much worse.

Just went back and watched the contest where Pearce hurt his arm. Didn't look like a huge amount of impact which hopefully means it's just a knock and nothing more.

Time will tell.

Wouldn't personally say it was a good idea but definitely within the realms of an acceptable risk when it comes to what teams do across the competition. There's players out there with broken ribs, torn ligaments, small fractures etc. for every single team across the comp. That and we've seen multiple players successfully play with a forearm splint over the last 10 years after a fracture.

Part of me was worried though that Alex doesn't exactly have a typical history with fractures.
And to be fair, our club doctors have really been amazing this season.

Fwiw Jack Darling had basically the same thing last season and played out the season, and I don't think his performance suffered.

Granted, it's not like it could get much worse.

I vaguely remember Jack holding his arm a fair bit after contests.

It would be a whole new sensation, adjusting to what feeling is one to actually worry about

I hope afl.com.au is correct

FREMANTLE is hopeful captain Alex Pearce has avoided further damage to his fractured left forearm in a 50-point win against Melbourne that included the best football the Dockers have played under coach Justin Longmuir this season.

There are no concerns about ruckman Luke Jackson, who finished the match under a cloud but had suffered a corked calf that won't keep him sidelined for next Saturday's Western Derby.
Not sure about the calf reference. They are just repeating what JLo said and to be honest he has no reason to lie about cork but not a calf from where the ice pack was located.

I think there's two different incidents with Pearce - not sure which one came first.

There was some vision on Footy Furnace tonight where it looks like he's copped a hip bump from Van Rooyen (I think) right on the outside of the guarded forearm and there's another one where he's gone up for a spoil and the underside of his arm has tangled and bent over another arm and someone's head.

Longmuir said something in the post-match about how he should have come off the ground earlier. So maybe he was in a bit of pain and stayed out for another contest while he was still in pain and then the second contest made it worse.

Last edited:
I think there's two different incidents with Pearce - not sure which one came first.

There was some vision on Footy Furnace tonight where it looks like he's copped a hip bump from Van Rooyen (I think) right on the outside of the guarded forearm and there's another one where he's gone up for spoil and the underside of his arm has tangled and bent over another arm and someone's head.

Longmuir said something in the post-match about how he should have come off the ground earlier. So maybe he was in a bit of pain and stayed out for another contest while he was still in pain and then the second contest made it worse.
I just watched the replay and he looked uncomfortable in the first quarter and signalled that he would see how things went…

I just watched the replay and he looked uncomfortable in the first quarter and signalled that he would see how things went…

The two I'm mentioning were close to each other just before he went off, so maybe he was going off the ground earlier in the game to get it checked as a kind of "awareness" thing. Hopefully it's something like when he came back from his leg fracture for the first few games where he would go off the ground with a limp and get something checked out and we'd all get scared that he'd broken it again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jammo is a top tier source.

Full House Dj GIF by Nick At Nite

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back