List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comparison was less about each players ability/talent and more about how suited they are to playing on the oppositionā€™s full forward or second tall.

Sicily plays above his height/weight, he is very good one on one and elite in the air. IMO Kemp plays more like a tall half back flanker.

He obviously has plenty of improvement left in him, but I fear we would be wasting his talent if the focus is on developing him as a full back stopper.

Getting Young back into his 2022 form and/or SDurdin fit could change things up again.
Sorry, don't think he should be turned into a FB.

That said, interesting that Sam Walsh, in the Dyl & friends podcast, referred to Kempy as being 195cm...

Kemp is

That said, interesting that Sam Walsh, in the Dyl & friends podcast, referred to Kempy as being 195cm...
Was going to make that comment too, in all honesty I don't know where Kemp will end up but I hope we see him end up on a wing where he can get up the ground a bit more. Don't think he has the defensive skill to be a long term KPD nor the kicking skill to be an elite half back but he can certainly play somewhere in between.

For the time being though 3rd tall next to some really smart players like Weiters, Gov, Saad and Newman is probably the best thing for him. Think he still gets a bit nervy on occasion so just having a simple role down there to maintain confidence will do him some good imo.

Kemp is

Was going to make that comment too, in all honesty I don't know where Kemp will end up but I hope we see him end up on a wing where he can get up the ground a bit more. Don't think he has the defensive skill to be a long term KPD nor the kicking skill to be an elite half back but he can certainly play somewhere in between.

For the time being though 3rd tall next to some really smart players like Weiters, Gov, Saad and Newman is probably the best thing for him. Think he still gets a bit nervy on occasion so just having a simple role down there to maintain confidence will do him some good imo.
As of last year, he didnā€™t look the same height as Cripps or Weitering? Must have a had growth spurt in the off season.

I think he is the perfect Cripps replacement. I have seen him play and train in the midfield and his ball reading and inside craft and distribution is very good. IMO he NOT a KPP but someone who can play it if needed

Kemp is

And I don't think we need him to become a KPD either....

I think he is the perfect Cripps replacement. I have seen him play and train in the midfield and his ball reading and inside craft and distribution is very good. IMO he NOT a KPP but someone who can play it if needed
He was a key defender his entire junior career, outside of a few games in the under 18 championships. He hasn't played a minute in the midfield at any noteable level. Where has this narrative that he's suddenly gonna be a top line midfielder come from?

He was a key defender his entire junior career, outside of a few games in the under 18 championships. He hasn't played a minute in the midfield at any noteable level. Where has this narrative that he's suddenly gonna be a top line midfielder come from?

SOS said when recruited he saw him as a midfielder. I saw him do it at Under 18s and looked great. Seemed suited

I see a talented footballer that can play defence or forward because he has a lot of ability. I donā€™t think heā€™s a natural in either role

Just my opinion

This thought keeps going through my head. With probably only one regular AFL inside mid in the VFL in reserve (assuming all are fit) and Carroll, if Kemp is stuck in the VFL do you reckon we start to give him time in the middle? I would.

I would very much be giving Kemp and Wilson midfield time.

It's actually a great test for us. I rate Weitering as valuable as any in our side. Having the others being able to step up and work well as group will have enormous benefits later on

Young will have a chance to re establish himself
Quote from injury threadā€¦

Yep a few recent comments suggest Young is being prepared to play the Weiters role early.

It is a great litmus test Youngy is just that, young. Many of us are nervous that we donā€™t have our next KPD developing when perhaps he is already there. His 2022 form suggested he has the capability. Some players do well biding their time at the second tier, others have their self esteem, their confidence challenged through being overlooked.

It will be a long term positive getting a look at Lewis as ā€œda manā€. (He has done it admirably before). Similarly it should improve his outlook. He has a decent contract being signed until the end of ā€˜26. Marchbank, McGovern and Kemp have skill sets that make them more attractive to team with Weiters, so it is a challenge to a young man wanting to play at the top level.

Gives our list management a guide to priorities as well.

I thought that Kemp would be a little further down the road in his development, and early on that he could play as a forward with some rotations or extended minutes in the middle

From what I have seen to date, he is a long way off playing in the middle
Agree that the club has spent 18 months developing him as a backman and he was exposed as still undercooked for that role late last season. Not terminal in my view and he's not the first (nor will he be the last) young player to face what Voss might call an "audit" on where his development.
I think the club will back him in this role again this year because they have already identified others who are a better fit up forward or in the midfield. Our tall backs outside of Weitering are either fringe players or have extensive injury histories - so it makes perfect sense to me. Most likely he'll get a chance to prove himself again at some point this year.

Agree that the club has spent 18 months developing him as a backman and he was exposed as still undercooked for that role late last season. Not terminal in my view and he's not the first (nor will he be the last) young player to face what Voss might call an "audit" on where his development.
I think the club will back him in this role again this year because they have already identified others who are a better fit up forward or in the midfield. Our tall backs outside of Weitering are either fringe players or have extensive injury histories - so it makes perfect sense to me. Most likely he'll get a chance to prove himself again at some point this year.

Gees.

23 games, he's a pup.

Judge him after 75 games....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp will still get plenty of opportunities this year.

Weitering is already penciled in to miss 2-4. It's probably more likely that Young or Durdin gets the D1 role in his absence, however there's a possibility that they run Marchbank D1, Kemp D2 and Gov D3.

Does anyone believe Marchbank and McGovern play the full season without interruption, be it injury, sickness, personal leave, or soreness/rest? Maybe we get 35-40 games out of the pair, that could mean Kemp's in the side for them, ballpark of 12-16 games.

And that's not counting any potential games he plays as a 3rd tall forward, or that we play some games with the extra tall (ie Weitering, Marchbank, Kemp & Gov).

I'd hazard a guess that the lower end of his games played range is about half a season, the upper end could be 20 or more games, provided he's fit all year (touch wood, applies for all our defenders... and the rest of the list...).

Refresher needed from those here with good memories?
Without getting too bogged down in the absolute detail, was just musing today on how we have put this list together.
Leaving aside straight up draft selections in Weitering and Walsh for example, more thinking about our trading for players and extra draft picks.
Just to get started :

Henderson pretty much landed us McKay?

Tuohy for Marchbank?

Gibbs for Oā€™Brien Kennedy TDK?

Phillips for Pittonet?

Was it Yarran/Bell for Curnow?

Over to you our learned friends ā€¦ ?

Refresher needed from those here with good memories?
Without getting too bogged down in the absolute detail, was just musing today on how we have put this list together.
Leaving aside straight up draft selections in Weitering and Walsh for example, more thinking about our trading for players and extra draft picks.
Just to get started :

Henderson pretty much landed us McKay?

Tuohy for Marchbank?

Gibbs for Oā€™Brien Kennedy TDK?

Phillips for Pittonet?

Was it Yarran/Bell for Curnow?

Over to you our learned friends ā€¦ ?
Bell ended up as Curnow. I think Yarran ended up being Cuningham if I remember correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back