List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remaining OOC 2024 >

Jarryd Lyons
Kalin Lane (R)
Jaxon Prior
James Madden
Ryan Lester (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael
Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

IMO.

Almost certain to get an extension - Ryan Lester, Darragh Joyce, Dayne Zorko, Luke Beecken.

Almost certain to be delisted - Kalin Lane, Jaxon Prior, James Madden.

?? - Jarryd Lyons(may be kept on as very good depth for Neale/Dunkley), Carter Michael(needs a no injury and good standard finish to the VFL season), Darcy Craven(needs to show some serious glimpses in the VFL).

We are very tight for list spots and there is an issue with spots in our very crowded forward line, but I wonder if we have any interest in Zuhaar. He sits in that 190cm and plays a bit taller then his height, very similar style of play IMO to Elliot who we were into a few years back. Considering we had Gardiner as that third tall earlier in the year and now Morris who is showing exceptional signs but still very young, could he be a good option? Also a bit of insurance for McCarthy when he eventually retires.

Very similar to Rayner IMO (always wondered why Zuhaar never made the transition to midfield in a weak NM lineup)

We are very tight for list spots and there is an issue with spots in our very crowded forward line, but I wonder if we have any interest in Zuhaar. He sits in that 190cm and plays a bit taller then his height, very similar style of play IMO to Elliot who we were into a few years back. Considering we had Gardiner as that third tall earlier in the year and now Morris who is showing exceptional signs but still very young, could he be a good option? Also a bit of insurance for McCarthy when he eventually retires.

Very similar to Rayner IMO (always wondered why Zuhaar never made the transition to midfield in a weak NM lineup)

You only bring in Zurhaar if you're getting rid of Rayner or chucking Rayner into full time mid minutes. Basically the same player, but Zur is a bit faster and has better goal sense.

M Malice above showed how tight our list is for spots, especially since we also added three Mid-Season draftees. I can't imagine that we are a club that drafts with the intention to delist them after six months. Beeken has already shown glimpses that he can add value to our seniors. Craven is young developing small and that was the understanding that some draftees may be in a longer-term development process. We have Lash and Marshal to find spots for and maybe other promising academy kid/s.

Unless we are turfing out contracted players (historically we haven't been) then there is virtually zero room to trade anybody in. If the AFL changes the draft points required to draft F/S and Academy kids, then it makes it even more difficult for our list manager.

Remaining OOC 2024 >

Jarryd Lyons
Kalin Lane (R)
Jaxon Prior
James Madden
Ryan Lester (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael
Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

IMO.

Almost certain to get an extension - Ryan Lester, Darragh Joyce, Dayne Zorko, Luke Beecken.

?? - Jarryd Lyons(may be kept on as very good depth for Neale/Dunkley), Carter Michael(needs a no injury and good standard finish to the VFL season), Darcy Craven(needs to show some serious glimpses in the VFL).

I don’t see a need for Lyons, we have more than enough depth and I’d say the club would prefer to blood Tunstill or bring in Dev. There’s also Rayner and Bailey who aren’t getting much time due to having other preferred players and even Wilmot might go in eventually.

Remaining OOC 2024 >

Jarryd Lyons
Kalin Lane (R)
Jaxon Prior
James Madden
Ryan Lester (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)
Dayne Zorko
Carter Michael
Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

IMO.

Wouldn't surprise me if a contracted player or two goes either. Dev automatically springs to mind so could be an extra spot or two if that happens.

M Malice above showed how tight our list is for spots, especially since we also added three Mid-Season draftees. I can't imagine that we are a club that drafts with the intention to delist them after six months. Beeken has already shown glimpses that he can add value to our seniors. Craven is young developing small and that was the understanding that some draftees may be in a longer-term development process. We have Lash and Marshal to find spots for and maybe other promising academy kid/s.

Unless we are turfing out contracted players (historically we haven't been) then there is virtually zero room to trade anybody in. If the AFL changes the draft points required to draft F/S and Academy kids, then it makes it even more difficult for our list manager.
If Mighty Lions was correct in saying that Gardiner was seriously contemplating retiring before his last contract due to his body always breaking down.
There is a chance that he may decide to pack it in at the end of the year which would open up another spot on the list if so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t see a need for Lyons, we have more than enough depth and I’d say the club would prefer to blood Tunstill or bring in Dev. There’s also Rayner and Bailey who aren’t getting much time due to having other preferred players and even Wilmot might go in eventually.
Yep would not be surprised if Lyons was delisted, I have been to the last 2 reserves game live and Jarryd swayed me a little, he has been outstanding, well above VFL level, could be handy as depth and as an on field coach for our younger mids.
Wouldn't surprise me if a contracted player or two goes either. Dev automatically springs to mind so could be an extra spot or two if that happens.
Agree Dev could well see the writing on the wall, particularly with 2 highly rated mids guaranteed to be coming in over this off season... same could also apply to Tunstill. We would not be getting much via trade either, 3rd round selection at the best for fringe players.

You only bring in Zurhaar if you're getting rid of Rayner or chucking Rayner into full time mid minutes. Basically the same player, but Zur is a bit faster and has better goal sense.
I guess my question is then what has been holding Zurhaar from becoming a more full time mid at North? Same issue with fitness? Or have they just lacked any type of decent forward so he's stayed up there (Dunkley style) and could easily transition in there?

As a pure forward, I guess he might be a bit old unless we didn't think McCarthy was going to get back at all (31 next year), Cameron was going to drop off (29 and extended to 33), or he was an upgrade on any of Rayner, Lohmann, Ah Chee, Morris, Bailey (ranked on IMO current form). I would probably put him about equal to Bailey at the moment, but with a far better defensive aspect to his game. I obviously rate Zurhaar and that's mostly based on his intensity and defensive tackling. Always seems to dig in.

Obviously list numbers would be a massive problem as outlined but could be manufactured with some delisting and re rookie options, which will undoubtedly be the choice for at least 2 of the SPP we took this year. Zurhaar is also a RFA so it is at least a possibility of us asking the question.

I guess my question is then what has been holding Zurhaar from becoming a more full time mid at North? Same issue with fitness? Or have they just lacked any type of decent forward so he's stayed up there (Dunkley style) and could easily transition in there?

As a pure forward, I guess he might be a bit old unless we didn't think McCarthy was going to get back at all (31 next year), Cameron was going to drop off (29 and extended to 33), or he was an upgrade on any of Rayner, Lohmann, Ah Chee, Morris, Bailey (ranked on IMO current form). I would probably put him about equal to Bailey at the moment, but with a far better defensive aspect to his game. I obviously rate Zurhaar and that's mostly based on his intensity and defensive tackling. Always seems to dig in.

Obviously list numbers would be a massive problem as outlined but could be manufactured with some delisting and re rookie options, which will undoubtedly be the choice for at least 2 of the SPP we took this year. Zurhaar is also a RFA so it is at least a possibility of us asking the question.

I think it's more need.

North have a good growing midfield. They don't need more mids, they need to build a defence and forward line, hence why Zur plays there (I don't watch a lot of North games, so I couldn't tell you if he could play out a full game as a mid).

That being said, not everyone needs to be a mid, some players either never can make it as a mid or do have the capacity, but don't due to effort or team need.

I'm of the mind that not everyone needs to be a mid. Rayner and Bailey can just stay as forwards and Fletcher can just stay as a winger (we need good wingers), but the coaches don't want that for better or worse.

Also, if you bring Zurharr in, where does he sit in the pecking order? Kai and McCarthy play the same position (there's already conflict there), Bailey and Rayner can't play in a team with Zur there in the forward line, does Ah Chee make way?

Additionally, I don't think Zurharr adds anything to the list that we don't already have. Only issue the list has is a lack of proper tall forwards (Morris doesn't count) if Daniher or Hippy were to go down, a young tall defender (who isn't Joyce or Gardiner) and a good second ruck to replace O.

Good to see Berry and Cameron resign.

Charlies deal is too long. Two with a reasonable trigger would have been better.
Berry about 1 year too long for me. That happens with restricted free agents.

Fagan mentioned not long ago that a lot of player contracts now are too long.
But if you want to retain someone i suppose the club just has to do the best they can.

Good to see Berry and Cameron resign.

Charlies deal is too long. Two with a reasonable trigger would have been better.
Berry about 1 year too long for me. That happens with restricted free agents.

Fagan mentioned not long ago that a lot of player contracts now are too long.
But if you want to retain someone i suppose the club just has to do the best they can.

I'm not too concerned re the third year for Charlie. I doubt it'll be on a hell of a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back