List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

From everything I have read about Joey - I get the feeling he is probably leaning to retiring. He has a young family and no doubt a partner who probably would appreciate him home a bit more or least family support. Maybe, Joe has now reached the pinnacle and played a major part in our Premiership he feels the desire may not be there.

I am conflicted. When Joey came to the club I was excited, but concerned with his injury history and work rate. He teased us all in early days with great marks and the promise of great things, thrown into that were days like for memory where we played the Bulldogs at Ballarat and I remember him doing next to nothing all day and being very disappointed in him and wondering if he was invested in the team ethic.

Fast forward and he is now in one of my favourite players and I honestly think we don't win the Premiership without him. He isn't our best player but probably our most important.

I don't want Joey to retire. I want him to give it one more year and see what this great team can achieve. On the other hand, if in his mind he doesn't feel like he would be invested then I don't think we can push him to play. Nor should we give him special circumstances that he can start training in New Year etc. When you start making special deals for players you start to divide team culture - if it's good for him why can't I do this etc.

I honestly hope I am wrong with this next statement - If Joey retires we will really struggle to win the Premiership in 2025. He takes the best defender every week and still manages to kick 2/4 goals every week and assist in others. His ruck work was a worry previously - now I think we would agree he is a massive asset in the middle. Such a smart player who just finds space and the ball around the ground.He can't be replaced.

I hope Fages and others can talk him around for one more year. Get Big O and Kiddy and Linc to speak to him and say we need you for our chance of a flag.

If he retires I'm not sure what the club will do. Play two rucks and maybe Oscar forward more?

Taberner from Fremantle was a very good forward a few years ago. Since then injury and form have curtailed him so much so he was delisted. He is a decent height and can clunk a mark. He would cost us nothing as a delisted free agent. But, he can't ruck like Joey.

One more year of investment please Joey.
The 2025 draft we are going to have to look very closely at getting a key forward. The are the hardest players to trade for.

Yeah… the more we talk through the various options of Lions post Joe,
The more I realise how irreplaceable he is. 😕

I wonder if Jack Lukosius would prefer to stay in QLD

It should be remembered that when Danniher first joined us, he also was pretty average in the ruck. He had definitely played as a relief ruck at times at Essendon, but not with any great confidence, and we played Fort and Oscar during that time as a result. His growth into that role has been what's made him so important for us, but it isn't really a role you can just recruit for.

If we were to have to last minute replace Danniher, I would be focusing on finding a contested marking FF and planning on moving Hipwood through the ruck for 10-15% of the game.

That said, with some rebalancing of the team we have a lot of potential (yet unproven options) that could make that shift. Moving Payne (as mentioned) or even Andrews could work as that FF / Ruck chop out (with Gardiner or Doedee replacing them), and we also have a lot of younger options in Smith / Ryan / ZZ / Lloyd, although any of them would need a big preseason based on reserves reports from the faithful around here.

I reckon that tweet could be applied to literally the top 50% of all players in the game with clubs approaching players of all clubs. What a benign tweet.

All of the trade insert name accounts on X (and I do mean all of them), who are not journos, are literally full of crap. The only time they get things right is when they copy from the journo's who get it first.

The reality of footy these days is that other clubs will look at our players OOC at the end of next year , particularly those with a few years ahead of them , and be giving a heads up on financial offers we mightn't be able to match next year.

That doesn't mean they'll leave.

The one thing that makes me question starcevich situation is that last year he signed a one year extension that took him to free agency at end of 2025.
Usually we’ve been pretty good at adding multiple years on our players.
Reality is that if he does want to go home I think we're happy for him to do so. He has been such a good player for our club and now a premiership player.

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR - if your a player and your name is NOT mentioned as interested in moving somewhere then you're almost the odd one out and should get some new friends. Just think, if your not someone who heard it from someone that heard it at the pub whispered from they pet's own mouth, your just not very important.

Trade and Draft time is always discussed as the TANGIBLE things, how much money? more games? more contracted years? what position to play? where your family lives?

But what of the intangibles? Fagan, created a culture of trust, understanding and communication. Clearly the players have brought into that culture and you can see it with Big O and the reserve graders out on the MCG celebrating with the boys. You can't fake a hug even if your just caught up in the moment. It's been great to see how close the group has become - It's never about Fagan, he pushed players in front of the cameras - the victory belongs to the club and the team.

We have seen before, players take less remuneration to keep teams together across a number of sports.

What is Fagan and Brisbane worth? what is an amount of money a player will give up to stay in Fagan's system? We have so many stars now, players who can devastate a team with a 1 qtr burst, not many you could build a team around but a lot that can put the sword in a rib cage to change momentum. I would say right now Ashcroft you could build a team around like we did with Neale, Rayner is a great addition to a team but he wont carry one like Dangerfield, Cripps or Voss and Selwood. The Ashcrofts, we look like having a pair of Ferrari's park in our engine room for years.

I would say, players like Starc who doesn't crave the limelight might think playing with the Lions is worth $100k less a season. Maybe Rayner would see a captaincy role for a few years in a system that supported him so long worth $150k less a season.

It would be good to talk the positives and have some discussion on what we think the intangibles of living in Queensland are, what playing for the Lions with their health and fitness team, Fagan's trust model and even being out of the 'fishbowl' is worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is that if he does want to go home I think we're happy for him to do so. He has been such a good player for our club and now a premiership player.

Absolutely. A great club creates an environment players want to stay, but supports the players as human beings above all else.

Compare this approach to that trash club St. Kilda who literally wouldn't let Josh Battle come to the B&F for exercising his right as a free agent.

We have to expect that a lot of clubs will go after our young stars as they approach free agency. We just have to hope our culture and list management team are strong enough to fend them off.

Also, we have to expect that naturally some will leave. Get what you get in return and move on. On the balance of things, if you are successful and have a good culture, you will have just as many that want to join you.

Love Starc and what he has become. Was probably in my top 3 if not 1 GF day with the way he nullified so many Swan raids. If he goes we have a pretty good back-up lockdown player in Shadeau, and Answerth can grow further too. no stress

We can go smaller. The modern game doesnt need 3 tall forwards, and with Levi and Mccarthy back, we will be right.
When Joe is on, like this final series, he working the whole ground in both offence and defence - down in defence, wing marking option and forward offence and defense. That mobile height and aerial presence does make a difference. But yes if he does go it will change our style a bit.

Rumours going around that Starcevich will be exploring a move back to WA after 2025 season.
Big loss as he is one that the backline revolves around. West Coast really being aggresive in making contact

So we get him for another tilt, then send him on his way with our genuine best wishes.

And who knows, lot of time for him to reconsider.

Don't forget, we have a system that doesn't rely on specific players - irrespective of Joe's undoubted talents and opposition threat, it's the HOW we play, not the WHO.

We have never really set up like the threepeat years, with 3 big marking targets forward.

Yes, you need to be able to just bomb it long to a contest, especially in a final - but gee, take Joe away and we STILL have an aerial threat, players who can make a contest if not take a clean grab - Linc, Cam, Hippy, Morris, Oscar/Darcy. Cam, Hip and Morris are also able to crash a pack and just send people flying.

I don't see any of our top 25-27 as being shit and disaster irreplaceable.....we finally uncovered the capacity to adapt our play, as an 18 on the ground, to what is required, along with the overall skills to execute as required.

This is what elite coaching creates.

I STILL BELIEVE :D

So we get him for another tilt, then send him on his way with our genuine best wishes.

And who knows, lot of time for him to reconsider.
Starc is a wonderful defender. However, if we were to lose an A grader, our backline has the most depth with Brain, Doedee and Answerth all able to play similar type games.

From a personal perspective if Joe gives it away it's not his contribution to the team as a player that really bothers me. We will cover it one way or another.

It's just the way he plays that I look forward to every week. Personalities and players with charisma and flair who brighten up your day are thin on the ground in this era. Joe's a one off . I bet opposition supporters love watching Joe too if for the strannge moments if nothing else. He'll be a major loss to the game if he goes.

Absolutely. A great club creates an environment players want to stay, but supports the players as human beings above all else.

Compare this approach to that trash club St. Kilda who literally wouldn't let Josh Battle come to the B&F for exercising his right as a free agent.
It’s come out, through the media that is, that apparently Battle had been bagging the Saints as a club and it’s people to people all around the place, hence why he was told to stay away. He’s obviously not wrong.

It’s come out, through the media that is, that apparently Battle had been bagging the Saints as a club and it’s people to people all around the place, hence why he was told to stay away. He’s obviously not wrong.
Yeah. I know the Saints traditionally have a poor culture but they didn't tell him not to turn up to the B/F for no good reason.

On this occasion criticism of them is misplaced to a large decree and they've worn the backlash and shown a little bit of restraint in not giving the reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back