List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality is that if he does want to go home I think we're happy for him to do so. He has been such a good player for our club and now a premiership player.
I agree with the general sentiment, but won’t use the word “happy”. Starce is the one player in the side that has the ability to make opposition players take shorter steps. Would be a significant loss even if we have reasonable replacements.

Can’t complain if someone who has given significant service to the club decides to move on for whatever reason. May have given the club some indication of his intentions during the one year extension negotiations.

I agree with the general sentiment, but won’t use the word “happy”. Starce is the one player in the side that has the ability to make opposition players take shorter steps. Would be a significant loss even if we have reasonable replacements.

Can’t complain if someone who has given significant service to the club decides to move on for whatever reason. May have given the club some indication of his intentions during the one year extension negotiations.
Yeah Happy probably not but respect him ad appreciate him enough to accept his decision with no bad blood. Hope we can keep him because he is magnificent.

We won the premiership because fagan spent years building versatility and flexibility into players and the team structure.

We have seen it so many times this season.

Losing great players is never easy, but I back us to get into finals with changes in the player list. Just like this year.

We walloped the gf because every player, the stars and lesser lights, played near enough to 4 quarters. As long as we can keep that up we are premiership contenders.

If Joe wasn't at least seriously considering or made up his mind he was retiring then the club would've already put out a statement that he was playing on seeing there is so much speculation.

So it seems that he's either just wanting to fade away without having to explain why or mulling it over after the excitement of winning a flag.

Just let him enjoy the win and we should know either way before too long because he'll have to tell the club.
Highly unlikely he had a clear head capable of making these kinds of decisions this week. Wait until after the B&F, maybe the weekend for the BAC to return to zero. Then make a decision.

It should be remembered that when Danniher first joined us, he also was pretty average in the ruck. He had definitely played as a relief ruck at times at Essendon, but not with any great confidence, and we played Fort and Oscar during that time as a result. His growth into that role has been what's made him so important for us, but it isn't really a role you can just recruit for.

If we were to have to last minute replace Danniher, I would be focusing on finding a contested marking FF and planning on moving Hipwood through the ruck for 10-15% of the game.

That said, with some rebalancing of the team we have a lot of potential (yet unproven options) that could make that shift. Moving Payne (as mentioned) or even Andrews could work as that FF / Ruck chop out (with Gardiner or Doedee replacing them), and we also have a lot of younger options in Smith / Ryan / ZZ / Lloyd, although any of them would need a big preseason based on reserves reports from the faithful around here.
I'd be for Hippy doing some serious ruck training in the pre-season.
I'm not aligned on Payne or Harris moving out of the backline. We only just kept our head above water this year when we didn't have Payne. Don't mess with that stability.

The Gettable podcast from yesterday was even more grim on the key forward free agents next year (I was in the office today so couldn't rewatch the GF while doing emails) - Fogarty likely signed up soon until 2030, Allen as well.

Based on a review of other options and our likely assets to trade for them (nothing) I think we are all-in on McMorris turning out to be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• We have been missing a great contested mark since McStay left. Morris looks decent but isnt the biggest guy. We make up with a lot of smaller guys who fly at marks but its not always the best option up and down the line.
Personally I'd like us to look for someone who can play a more contested marking option thats a bit bigger than Morris. At worst they will be able to play a role keeping a defender honest. Who that is I have no idea
So a tall contested marking option, bonus if they can ruck. I guess the gettable contested marking options at AFL level have been discussed here already (Hayes, Casboult, Day). So who's kicking around the state leagues? Well, the only state league I can find contested mark data for is the SANFL, and this season the league leader in contested marks was... Connor Ballenden?! Well, I guess he's a Queenslander and knows the club already...

For the draft watchers how highly is Annable rated next year?

I know they say you can never have enough mids and generally I agree with this, but I do worry if we keep locking ourselves into these high end mids we’ll have a team full of midfielders with no one to kick to. Similar to the issues the Dogs had for so many years.

So I guess my question is, is there no way you’d be trading next years pick out because he’s that highly rated?

Dunkley to Joe’s role
Berry to Dunkley’s role
Keep Robertson (or Levi into Berry’s role)

Dunkley reading this:

The Office Crying GIF

It’s come out, through the media that is, that apparently Battle had been bagging the Saints as a club and it’s people to people all around the place, hence why he was told to stay away. He’s obviously not wrong.

Yeah. I know the Saints traditionally have a poor culture but they didn't tell him not to turn up to the B/F for no good reason.

On this occasion criticism of them is misplaced to a large decree and they've worn the backlash and shown a little bit of restraint in not giving the reason.
I remain a little sceptical because it really does seem like all the leaks are very one sided - so Saints trying to control the narrative.

I remain a little sceptical because it really does seem like all the leaks are very one sided - so Saints trying to control the narrative.
I haven't looked for or read anything about the situation since, just relaying what someone close at the Saints passed on to me in conversation prior to them banning him.

Mind you they're now all feeling a bit precious since the Pres. went full kamikaze.

Like everything else there's 2 sides to a story.

For the draft watchers how highly is Annable rated next year?

I know they say you can never have enough mids and generally I agree with this, but I do worry if we keep locking ourselves into these high end mids we’ll have a team full of midfielders with no one to kick to. Similar to the issues the Dogs had for so many years.

So I guess my question is, is there no way you’d be trading next years pick out because he’s that highly rated?
He's a first round lock, what will see him slide is his kicking but it's by no means poor. Best way to compare him atm is that he would probably get a bid ahead of Marshall if he were in this years draft. And I'm thinking Marshall has done enough to get a bid around that 15-20 mark.

Definitely worth taking all three as they offer different strengths. Levi (very attack minded and a bit more of an outside version of Will), Marshall (more outside, great two way runner and has good scope to play wing or half back), Annable (inside bull/ contested player but also never stops running and often involves himself multiple times in running chains, he would also offer a defensive pressure balance for the others at stoppage).

I agree that our key position stocks need some planning now too, but would still prioritise these mids and then look to grab key forwards from free agency/ later picks over the next two years.

Putting blame aside the subsequent action has Ross's fingerprints all over it.

On a separate issue I was astounded when an unexciting list and Franchise like the Saints appointed Ross for another go.

He had his time there with 6 A Graders and a bunch of other good players and walked out on them for a better deal from Fremantle.

He hadn't served his penance imo besides which he's a bit of a hasbeen . He's also a bit nuttier than when he was still somewhat nutty earlier this century.

He's a first round lock, what will see him slide is his kicking but it's by no means poor. Best way to compare him atm is that he would probably get a bid ahead of Marshall if he were in this years draft. And I'm thinking Marshall has done enough to get a bid around that 15-20 mark.

Definitely worth taking all three as they offer different strengths. Levi (very attack minded and a bit more of an outside version of Will), Marshall (more outside, great two way runner and has good scope to play wing or half back), Annable (inside bull/ contested player but also never stops running and often involves himself multiple times in running chains, he would also offer a defensive pressure balance for the others at stoppage).

I agree that our key position stocks need some planning now too, but would still prioritise these mids and then look to grab key forwards from free agency/ later picks over the next two years.
I know we were prioritising KPP'S from before the season started. Hence Ryan.

But if you can get access to guns in the draft you don't care where they play.

I think a left field KPP is definitely on the agenda within the next 12 months whether Joe plays or not.

Putting blame aside the subsequent action has Ross's fingerprints all over it.

On a separate issue I was astounded when an unexciting list and Franchise like the Saints appointed Ross for another go.

He had his time there with 6 A Graders and a bunch of other good players and walked out on them for a better deal from Fremantle.

He hadn't served his penance imo besides which he's a bit of a hasbeen . He's also a bit nuttier than when he was still somewhat nutty earlier this century.

Yep, I felt similarly when he was appointed - St K refuse to accept its no longer the 80's, and appointing Ross smacked of desperation. And he himself knew full well the whole contract was purely money for jam, with virtually no pressure to perform because....St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back