List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still all aboard the Smith train. It took Kai like 5-6 games to kick his first ever goal and he is looking great now with the time and faith put into him.

Smith is a very promising ruck who towelled up Marshall in the second half against the Saints this year with five clearances in the half. The best part is that Oscar is very talented up forward and is pretty good at the intercept mark down back. We could even do what Geelong did on 2022, where Stanley took the centre bounce, dropped back in defence as a spare and he and Blicavs rucked one half of the ground each.

Oscar is 30 and we have a genuine opportunity to blood a high potential young ruck with a forward line that can kick a lot of goals. I don’t want a Casboult or Lynch where they’ll just retire at the same time as many others on our list.

I agree with everything you've said, but I'm still keen on a Casboult, Sam Day type as backup - we need another option to cover injuries. They'll cost nothing contract wise so who cares if they retire in a year.

Good summary by foxfooty of the FA compo issue:

There are some 800 players in the AFL, so the top five per cent of that is the top 40 players in the league - nobody would put them in that category, but keep in mind that Battle and Perryman are only being measured against fellow players aged 25 or older, not the entire pool.

It still seems a bit strange though, doesn’t it? Well, there’s a clear flaw when you have a year like this one with a $2 million jump in the salary cap.

Battle and Perryman are signing contracts based on the 2025 cap, which went up by 12.6% compared to the 2024 cap, but they’re being measured against deals under the 2024 cap.

Play Rayner “Pumba “ as permanent full forward you watch him go Leigh Matthews style next year . With addition of Levi he moves into Rayners midfield minutes Rayner kicks 50 plus for year .

Don't mind this idea except if the ball isn't going down there for a while we will be short one of our fire starters. Levi is a talent no doubt, but Rayner is a bull in a china shop when the chips are down, in a good way!

Surprised Prior isn't in there too. If we don't delist him before the trade period, I guess we'll try to trade with Essendon for picks.

We can get points for Prior delisting him would be silly
Could well have a contract in front of him as very useful depth too. Double duty - if he signs we keep cheap depth, if he goes for a better offer elsewhere we get a pick for matching.

Back in Henry and pick-up Sam Day as insurance, imo.

In fortitudine credimus

He's been patient and now a god damn Premiership player, beloved by the club and as hard as a cats head.

If anyone deserves first shot at the forward/ruck role it's Fort, not some washed up has been leavings from another side.

IMO he deserves to be in a lot more conversations than just "yeah he covered well for Big O".

We can't replace Joe, but let's see if we can keep the majority of the side together that took us to the pinnacle.

Out Joe

In Fort

I'm going to have a little lie down now as my wife told me to.

I was very worried by Smith's pretty terrible senior appearances this year, but I will say he looked a lot better in the reserves, especially in the ruck, and was a pretty good kick for goal. If the club thinks he'll come on then I trust their judgement over mine any day.

I don't see any urgent need to bring in another tall forward -- let's shake it up a bit, keep the oppo guessing and rotate a bunch of smalls and medium-sized players through there. We have the talent.

Poster in the know over on Hawk’s trade and FA board has said Mitch Lewis to Lions. Not sure how on earth we could satisfy them. Contracted to 2026.

Poster in the know over on Hawk’s trade and FA board has said Mitch Lewis to Lions. Not sure how on earth we could satisfy them. Contracted to 2026.
Robertson and Tunstill for Mitch Lewis.

Am i miss remembering or did Lewis do an ACL recently, didn't play much if at all this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, no Hawthorn ‘rejects.’
We had to pay a second rounder to move Gunston on and get Ryan.
(I think that’s right.)
On a positive note, if we hadn’t, Gunston could have been a premiership player with us.

Not sure why we would be interested in a guy who is going to spend the best part of 3/4 of the season on the sidelines.

I assume whoever we plug into that role we want them there for the season because we believe we are good enough to have another crack come finals time. Why would we bring someone in who won’t be there for that?

I have nothing against Lewis but it makes no sense for next year. I hope if he’s the only option we wait and see what we can get next offseason as we’d effectively be going into the season without a replacement anyway.

Edit. Must also say I wouldn’t be overly keen having ~1/8 of the list all coming back off ACLs either tbh.

One of these days we might start looking elsewhere than Hawthorn for a top up forward.
It’s not like as if he was there when Fages was.
So if we were to bring in him from the Hawks it would be because we think he has talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back