List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our list managers have had 12 months to plan for this, they'll get it done. All we know so far is that we'll trade Pick 20 (previously 18) to get more points, we'll use draft pick trading, and try and trade some of our fringe players - i.e. Dev Rob, Tunstill, Prior - for draft points.
I like the idea though Twomey commented recently that very few inside mids get traded, this was in specific relation to Dev and I guess more so for Tunstill.

Wasn’t there some ill feeling there. Dunkley Snr had been promised a position which Sydney later reneged on?
I remember the Open Mike episode with Andrew Dunkley and I think he said he was expecting a coaching job after he retired/was let go, and that didn't happen. And Sydney didn't want to go in to points deficit drafting Josh as they'd already used all on getting Callum Mills.

That's what sydney thought too when they passed on Dunkley.

You can look exceedingly stupid or totally brilliant with your decisions on Draft night

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing

For example, our lay down misère of drafting Schache at #2 really couldn't have turned out any worse, could it?

We drafted Simon Black at some stupid pick in the 30's and that couldn't have turned out any better.

Every club has its hits and misses and even though it's a more exact science these days, judgement calls and dumb luck still play a part

I am unsure as to how Lewis (Hawks) can simultaneously be an awesome forward with rare skill that we should be doing a great deal to acquire <and> a player that Hawthorn would be happy to give up ... I mean we wouldn't even consider trading Morris or Lohman...

So, while Josh nominated Sydney under the Father/Son ‘rule’, when the Bulldogs put a bid in, Sydney didn’t match.
The 2015 draft is interesting, as are most years, I guess.
Dunkley at 25!

I thought the rumour was they'd match only if a non-victorian team bid on him

Trading Kai or McMorris for a speculative and injury prone tall makes no sense whatsoever.

A proven big game player like Lohmann and an up-and-coming Morris are our future.

If we trade either of these young guns away, I'll do a Richmond and microwave my membership

Both will not go anywhere. Suspect we make no meaningful trades and roll with our current group of players for another year. Even without Joe, very bullish about the talent we have at our disposal. Every clubs envy.

I'm not interested, but what do you base Lewis being worth a mid first round pick?

He’s kicked around 70 goals in 30 games the past couple years and is 25 years old just entering his prime years. He is an incredible key forward whose only issue is staying on the park. He’d be worth more if healthy but I do genuinely rank him. That’s the main reason why I think a mid first would definitely be fair price for him.

I also have confidence in our medical team. If he became healthy he will be one of the best key forwards in the competition in my opinion. If we can trade him in while getting our two boys this year then I would consider it as successful as getting Dunkley, Ashcroft and Fletcher two years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to the Future…….

Draft night 2011. I was very hopeful that the Lions would take Adam Tomlinson pick 8. A mobile CHF.

Instead we take Billy Longer and GWS take Tomlinson next pick at 9.

Call me crazy, I know he’s played AFL largely as a defender, but could he play CHF for the Lions with Hipwood FF.

Just a thought.

Think about it.

We don't seem to have the currency in drafting points to get both Levi Ashcroft and Marshall, plus pick up a capable Joe replacement.
In the short term (2025) I don't mind the idea of simply using Fort as a direct replacement, but i also wouldn't mind trying out the following:

- Harris Andrews to the forwards and Eric Hipwood to the backs. Harris used to play fwd as a junior and has the softest marking hands l've ever seen; Eric played back as a junior and didn't look out of place when played there recently. The remaining medium/tall possies could be any of Payne/Lester/Gardiner/Doedee.

- Henry Smith to take Joe's role, having Harris as an experienced guiding hand to aid his development. I recall a game sometime in the last couple of years where we did send Harris forward and he led well and took a couple of marks.

If it's not working, it's not too difficult for Harris and Eric to swap back.

We don't seem to have the currency in drafting points to get both Levi Ashcroft and Marshall, plus pick up a capable Joe replacement.
In the short term (2025) I don't mind the idea of simply using Fort as a direct replacement, but i also wouldn't mind trying out the following:

- Harris Andrews to the forwards and Eric Hipwood to the backs. Harris used to play fwd as a junior and has the softest marking hands l've ever seen; Eric played back as a junior and didn't look out of place when played there recently. The remaining medium/tall possies could be any of Payne/Lester/Gardiner/Doedee.

- Henry Smith to take Joe's role, having Harris as an experienced guiding hand to aid his development. I recall a game sometime in the last couple of years where we did send Harris forward and he led well and took a couple of marks.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Harris is a key defender and should stay there.

Slow down grasshopper.

I'm sure Harris could play as a tall forward but the two pillars of our flag this year have been Andrews in the backline and Daniher in the forward line. We've built the rest of the team around that. So with Daniher gone we have to rejig that area , I wouldn't risk potentially messing up both by taking Harris out of the backline. He directs all our traffic down there.

I could see Payne as a potential forward , but with Payne ,Andrews, Starcevich and Wilmot for starters in your backline and Coleman potentially returning ,a great footy brain in Lester , strong lockdown junkyard dog in Answerth , and btw an AA defender in Zorko , we have a dream team there that could continue to deliver flags. So no way would I be disrupting any of that.

Still coming down from a GF win and then Jo leaving.
Have not thought much about trades till today.
The club may have someone in mind that wants to come to Brisbane.
How they get that done i have no idea, but we are a destination club now.
Normally when you lose a great player to another club you get something in return
Jo retiring (good on him) gives us nothing unfortunately.

Don't want Lewis at all. Doubt he leaves the Hawks anyhow.
No suggestions because of lack of picks.
A swap of player/players may get us someone suitable.

I'm sure Harris could play as a tall forward but the two pillars of our flag this year have been Andrews in the backline and Daniher in the forward line. We've built the rest of the team around that. So with Daniher gone we have to rejig that area , I wouldn't risk potentially messing up both by taking Harris out of the backline. He directs all our traffic down there.

I could see Payne as a potential forward , but with Payne ,Andrews, Starcevich and Wilmot for starters in your backline and Coleman potentially returning ,a great footy brain in Lester , strong lockdown junkyard dog in Answerth , and btw an AA defender in Zorko , we have a dream team there that could continue to deliver flags. So no way would I be disrupting any of that.

Idea I’ve been turning over in my head is that we can get improvement out of a consistent defensive group - that can then turn intercepts into really good looks for our forwards. I think that’s the better path than hoping any single player can replace Joe.

Kiddy adds a different running and kicking dimension to the group which help that.

I think we are markedly worse taking Harris out of the back 6 given how is intercept marking generates scores. Really, it’s a break glass in case of emergency when we are down late in games only.

Idea I’ve been turning over in my head is that we can get improvement out of a consistent defensive group - that can then turn intercepts into really good looks for our forwards. I think that’s the better path than hoping any single player can replace Joe.

Kiddy adds a different running and kicking dimension to the group which help that.

I think we are markedly worse taking Harris out of the back 6 given how is intercept marking generates scores. Really, it’s a break glass in case of emergency when we are down late in games only.
Exactly.

We can win games from our back half with the players we have there whoever we have on our list in the forward line. Within reason.

Your defence is crucial in big games. They absorbed a lot of pressure when we were just about out for the count this year. I think they can get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back