• Chad Warner

Votes: 194 60.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 55 17.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. If we negotiate this year Sydney have all the leverage and it tkae a monster trade to get it done like our first 4 picks. Why would Sydney trade him for less athan the absolute maximum. If we decide to trade in assets for next year then we could endup having to use them in a weaker draft possibly if he resigns with Sydney.

Yep and then if he re signs with Sydney we have just penalised ourselves.

If he doesn't request a trade we use Walls to identify the best talent available.

Only reason to move a FRP forward is a ripper deal or for list spots

Will have 2 firsts (2025 1st, 2026 F1) and a 2nd next year anyway (likely 3 firsts when the AFL confirms future trading)

I'd only do it for a great deal on draft night or if we don't delist enough players

(Or a great deal like 24 + f2 for another F1 to death ride)

Bailey would be great

As if Freo would go near Bailey Smith after his off-field issues. He reportedly also warned the interstate teams against taking him as he would ask for a trade back to Victoria. Got a doctor's note to say it would be bad for his mental health. Who knows if true, but wouldn't surprise me.

He is also an abysmal kick into the forward line. There was a stat in the middle of last year where he was dead last in the whole competition for his side retaining his entries. At the halfway point of the season he had something like 50 inside 50's, and only 1 of them was retained by his team.

I am not a list manager so unsure of who we could get but I am sure there are many more than the 4 or 5 names we keep hearing about. We don't necessarily need A graders though as you don't get 18 A graders in a premiership team. We just need players that are better than the bottom third of our team and our team gets stronger.
I don't agree with this. We have limited cap space and excellent cake. We're crying out for some cream and have to use the picks and cap space remaining to find it.

Getting in B graders just because they are a little better than your existing players is how you end up like the Saints or Bombers.

As if Freo would go near Bailey Smith after his off-field issues. He reportedly also warned the interstate teams against taking him as he would ask for a trade back to Victoria. Got a doctor's note to say it would be bad for his mental health. Who knows if true, but wouldn't surprise me.

He is also an abysmal kick into the forward line. There was a stat in the middle of last year where he was dead last in the whole competition for his side retaining his entries. At the halfway point of the season he had something like 50 inside 50's, and only 1 of them was retained by his team.

I usually feel great when I travel interstate

He was huge in that finals series, and is an absolute pro when it comes to training and prep.

If the extra-curricular activities can be kept under control, then you’d have a look. (But he’d to be aware he’d be under a microscope here).

Still rhink
He’s a cat next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree with this. We have limited cap space and excellent cake. We're crying out for some cream and have to use the picks and cap space remaining to find it.

Getting in B graders just because they are a little better than your existing players is how you end up like the Saints or Bombers.
Its not just players slightly better than ours, its about identifying needs (small forward, wing, etc) and finding players that fit those needs but are maybe not getting those opportunities in the sides they are now, i.e. like Sharp. Unless you have picks in the top 5 or 6 it is a lot riskier getting draftees to fill those roles.

Its not just players slightly better than ours, its about identifying needs (small forward, wing, etc) and finding players that fit those needs but are maybe not getting those opportunities in the sides they are now, i.e. like Sharp. Unless you have picks in the top 5 or 6 it is a lot riskier getting draftees to fill those roles.
This is the point. You can get away with a roleplayer out on the wing, which is what Sharp is. He has a particular skillset.

The need we have is for creative and/or high end finisher forwards. Those players are guns, literally all of them. You're not going to find some plodder on GC's bench that will come in and kick 50 goals from crumbing etc or have 50 goal assists whilst still applying enough defensive pressure for JL to actually pick him.

He was huge in that finals series, and is an absolute pro when it comes to training and prep.

If the extra-curricular activities can be kept under control, then you’d have a look. (But he’d to be aware he’d be under a microscope here).

Still rhink
He’s a cat next year
Just doesn't even seem like the sort of player we wouldn't even give a second glance to. Was only a couple months ago where Walls did that interview talking about how they avoid players with off-field indisrections no matter how good they are.

Not to mention his whole draft manipulation refusing to leave Victoria. Just seems like a rumour pulled out of nowhere.

This is the point. You can get away with a roleplayer out on the wing, which is what Sharp is. He has a particular skillset.

The need we have is for creative and/or high end finisher forwards. Those players are guns, literally all of them. You're not going to find some plodder on GC's bench that will come in and kick 50 goals from crumbing etc or have 50 goal assists whilst still applying enough defensive pressure for JL to actually pick him.
In our entire 30 years how many high end forwards have we drafted that have kicked 50 goals plus a season?

Word is that clubs rate this year's draft far more than next year's draft so they want to get their picks in the top thirty now.

Potentially it's because rules around academies etc will be different next year and they want a less diluted value for their pick now than later.

If it means we swap pick #14 for a future first from say Brisbane then it might not be too bad.

Collingwood, Bulldogs and Port all don't have firsts this year and will be starting in the draft in the late twenties - they may also want to buy the better pick with their future pick.

Now for some crazy Taylor examples:
Carlton trading pick #17 and future first to Freo for pick #9 on draft night to get ahead of their two bids.
I wouldn't want 17 and 15 for 9.

Maybe the points value shows some net benefit but I'd take the top 10 pick any day

Interesting that the AFL site now has Port and Coll not making the 8. In fact they think we will end up with Picks 7 and 8!!
We are only going to have one good shot at this before Tassie is given prefential picks, lets get quality kids in the draft and have sustained success over the next ten years, dont throw away early picks on B graders like Baker (like another Aish who is seviceable but will never take us to the next level IE seems to only try and play well when it suits him)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back