Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At most a moderate concern. He kicked ~1.5 per game. Even Banners kicks 0.8 and he plays sub half the time.

Would we be better with him? 100%

Are we doomed without him? Not even close.
Schultz may well end up being a very significant loss, but to your point if he is it won't be based primarily on goal count. Others replacing him won't score 0 goals: maybe you lose like 10 goals net.

Where losing him will be felt more imo is his all round game: he got up the ground really well, set up plays (his field kicking has gotten so much better compared to like 2019/2020), applied pressure, made great courageous winning plays, etc. I've really liked what I've seen from Emmett in a small sample size in that high half fwd role, but others like Sturt can score goals and have moments (when he's fit and firing) but don't have that same all-round impact.

Schultz may well end up being a very significant loss, but to your point if he is it won't be based primarily on goal count. Others replacing him won't score 0 goals: maybe you lose like 10 goals net.

Where losing him will be felt more imo is his all round game: he got up the ground really well, set up plays (his field kicking has gotten so much better compared to like 2019/2020), applied pressure, made great courageous winning plays, etc. I've really liked what I've seen from Emmett in a small sample size in that high half fwd role, but others like Sturt can score goals and have moments (when he's fit and firing) but don't have that same all-round impact.
Think you hit the nail on the head with Emmett, he brings the same intensity but is 8cm taller, a harder tackler and in a very small sample size averages more goals per game. He isn’t a small forward but we played too many anyway and need more medium forwards in the team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too have joined the illustrious ranks.

What is the criteria? If it’s old fartery some of the new vets should have super vet status! Like great grandpa vet or something.

AFL small forwards are like NFL running backs. Incredibly important to most game plans but also relatively plentiful and easy to replace.

Just because a hard working small forward like Schultzy should be relatively easy to replace with another blue collar hard working small forward doesn't mean it's a slam dunk for us to do so.

There is evey chance that an Emmett or a Simpson or someone similar will make us all love him.

But we have to nail the transition from Scultz to someone else. Let's hope that -- this year -- we aren't asleep at the wheel.

Yeah I'm not suggesting we won't notice, I 'm just saying we'll find a way. Schultz won't be the difference between a good season or a bad season for us.

Edit: Also got the V.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back