Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about you guys but I can't believe how much Media Freo are doing at the moment.

It's a long time since the pretty much media Ban they had while Ross was there and Hackdorn & Hardie were taking non-stop pot shots at us.

At the moment it seems an incredible amount of Player, Coaches, Bell & Garlick interviews on Radio, TV, Press conferences. I don't think I've seen anything like it.

Great content for us Fans! I'm wondering is it strike while things are going well and hopefully get a boost in memberships. Or is it before they start playing gets some credits in the bank & have a coordinated media blitz.

Either way great work Freo 👍

I think his comments about our depth are unfortunately close to the mark.

We are still a young side and a lot falls onto the shoulders of Brayshaw and Serong. If one or both of them go down, I don't think we'd trouble the top 6-8 teams.

There's not a lot of experience in the shed when it comes to the midfield.

We do have a dual brownlow medal midfielder who can rotate into the mid a touch more too

Of course teams suffer if they lose their best players.

The important bit is do they have experience under their belt to cover for those players. For us, our next mids to be called up have buckets of talent and potential, but little else. It's just a fact of where our list is at.

Sydney is probably in our boat regarding their mids, but Melbourne and Brisbane both have experience across the park and in the sheds to cover the loss of their stars better than we do.
This concept is interesting, so I looked it up for a post on the ladder prediction thread earlier in the year. Turns out, there is barely any more experience in the sheds for the Dees outside their B23 compared to us. Its not midfielder specific but I suspect if you dove into it, the quality of that second rung of midfielders would be comparable. It might even go in our favour given our midfield kids were both top picks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am making the assumption that JOM ~= Mundy, Grundy >= Jackson, Logue (as a forward) ~= Corbett/Treacy/Amiss etc. I don't consider Tucker or Meek leaving a big deal since Tucker isn't that good and Meek was inexperienced anyway.

Dees
23rd most experience player is Pickett at 62 games.
8 other players with Afl experience - Sparrow, Petty, Jordan, Smith, Bowey, Chandler and Turner - 261 games between them avg ~33

Freo
23rd most experienced player is Corbett at 36 games.
10 other players with Afl experience - Young, Walker, Chapman, Henry, Wagner, Treacy, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Sturt, Amiss - 178 games between them avg ~18

So there is 80 games between the AFL experienced players. You have 20 players with 100+ games and we have 8. At least 2 of ours are not B22 and I suspect at least 2 of yours aren't either.

So in the event either team loses 5 b22 players, I think the first two are covered by the experienced players outside the B22 for both teams (Colyer, Wilson, Dunstan, Melksham etc). For the other 3, you are likely covering a 100+ game player for a player with less than 30 games to their name. We are replacing a 60-80 game player with a 20 game player.

TLDR: I'd argue that at the very least, Freo and Dees are similarly vulnerable to B22 injuries. In fact, I reckon if you this for most teams you would find similar (except maybe the bottom 6 where their better players don't carry the team as much as the top 6-10 teams).

This concept is interesting, so I looked it up for a post on the ladder prediction thread earlier in the year. Turns out, there is barely any more experience in the sheds for the Dees outside their B23 compared to us. Its not midfielder specific but I suspect if you dove into it, the quality of that second rung of midfielders would be comparable. It might even go in our favour given our midfield kids were both top picks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am making the assumption that JOM ~= Mundy, Grundy >= Jackson, Logue (as a forward) ~= Corbett/Treacy/Amiss etc. I don't consider Tucker or Meek leaving a big deal since Tucker isn't that good and Meek was inexperienced anyway.

Dees
8 other players with Afl experience - Sparrow, Petty, Jordan, Smith, Bowey, Chandler and Turner - 261 games between them avg ~33

Freo
10 other players with Afl experience - Young, Walker, Chapman, Henry, Wagner, Treacy, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Sturt, Amiss - 178 games between them avg ~18

So there is 80 games between the AFL experienced players. You have 20 players with 100+ games and we have 8. At least 2 of ours are not B22 and I suspect at least 2 of yours aren't either.

So in the event either team loses 5 b22 players, I think the first two are covered by the experienced players outside the B22 for both teams (Colyer, Wilson, Dunstan, Melksham etc). For the other 3, you are likely covering a 100+ game player for a player with less than 30 games to their name. We are replacing a 60-80 game player with a 20 game player.

TLDR: I'd argue that at the very least, Freo and Dees are similarly vulnerable to B22 injuries. In fact, I reckon if you this for most teams you would find similar (except maybe the bottom 6 where their better players don't carry the team as much as the top 6-10 teams).
I come onto this site to give unsubstantiated opinions and collect cheap likes.

If I’m rebutted with common sense, logic and intelligent analysis, I think I’m done.

Dees

Freo

Dees probably have a few players they could move into the middle like Neal-Bullen & Harmes that would go ok. I'd then be an inexperienced kid filling their role.

Fortunately, Freo have a duel Brownlow medallist that goes ok in the middle if things go dire and we play a kid up forward. I'd rather it didn't get to that but it's a long season.

Dees probably have a few players they could move into the middle like Neal-Bullen & Harmes that would go ok. I'd then be an inexperienced kid filling their role.

Fortunately, Freo have a duel Brownlow medallist that goes ok in the middle if things go dire and we play a kid up forward. I'd rather it didn't get to that but it's a long season.
Exactly, Fyfe and Aish two off the top of your head that would be more than serviceable as the 1st and 2nd mid. Reckon Ras, Johno and even NOD stack up fairly well compared to anything the Dees are digging up. Fortunately for them, Oliver and Trac seem durable.

We might be written off externally but there really shouldnt be any excuses inside the club this year. Starting with a clean bill of health apart from Colyer, lots of organic growth, plenty of talent in the wings.
Saints are in disarray compared to us already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees

Freo

Great analysis thx.

Who read the west Australian article where Peter Sumich bagged out Freo.

Fyfe should be playing midfield and why isn't he still captain.

Sumich is a gronk of the highest order.

Peter Sumich: Fremantle Dockers must re-insert Nat Fyfe in engine room - and he should still be captain

Peter Sumich: Fremantle Dockers must re-insert Nat Fyfe in engine room - and he should still be captain
It only took him 2 years to figure out “How So?”

Will Schofield: Fremantle Dockers will finish in the top four and challenge for a maiden premiership in 2023​

Rock solid defence, excellent mid-field and a thriving Nat Fyfe up forward. WILL SCHOFIELD is predicting big things for Freo this year.

3 min read
March 16, 2023 - 9:00AM
[PLAYERCARD]Will Schofield[/PLAYERCARD] believes Fremantle have the team to win the flag in 2023. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Will Schofield believes Fremantle have the team to win the flag in 2023. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Flagmantle.

It was real last year and it’s real again this year. Fremantle can win the premiership this season.

When I cast my eye across the league, I look for the teams with the best chance of improving, those who will likely stay the same and those destined to go backwards.
I have Collingwood, St. Kilda, Greater Western Sydney and Essendon going backwards from their 2022 performances.
I have Brisbane and Melbourne holding their strong form.
And I have among the sides set to improve: West Coast, Richmond, Western Bulldogs and, the strongest of all, Fremantle. The Dockers enter 2023 with lots of boxes ticked in the quest for the club’s maiden premiership.
Their game plan is based on strong team defence. I know fast, attacking football is all the rage off the back of what Geelong, Collingwood and Brisbane achieved last year, but good teams can all defend.

Fremantle set up well behind the ball, they lock the ball in their front half and even their ball movement supports the way they defend.
Sure, their scoring was low at stages last season, but strangling the opposition into submission gets the job done when the business end of the season comes around.
Fremantle boasts a terrific backline which will only get better this year. Senior players, led by new skipper Alex Pearce, win contests and generate intercept possession while their younger backmen will improve with another 12 months under their belts – Hayden Young, Heath Chapman, Jordan Clark and Brandon Walker among them.
The Dockers’ midfield reminds me of a young Melbourne midfield from a few years back. Exciting high-end talent, with strong contested ball-winning ability, led by one of the league’s best tap ruckmen.
Sean Darcy is poised to jump into the elite level of ruckmen this season, if he isn’t there already. And, scarily, he’ll have some support in the form of Luke Jackson – and that kid can play. Then there’s Andrew Brayshaw, league MVP last year and one of the Brownlow favourites, Caleb Serong, who will get better, Will Brodie, who will see more game time, and Jaeger O’Meara filling the gap left by David Mundy.

Nathan O’Driscoll showed glimpses of elite wing play last year and, in my view, is a smokey to be most improved player for the Dockers this season as he steps into a full-time role on the wing vacated by Blake Acres.
I believe the engine room at Fremantle is as good as any in the AFL and that their ability to impact the scoreboard this season will go a long way to ensuring a top four finish.
Freo doesn’t enter the season without some questions, but that could be said of every team. In their case, I am confident they have the answers.
Given that their strength is team defence, the biggest challenge to overcome lies at the front half of the ground. How can they kick a winning score every week? Will their forward line function?
They won’t be a Geelong, Richmond or Carlton with two big key forwards kicking a lot of their goals. Freo will need to do it by committee – but that suits the way they play.

We saw a small glimpse in the only pre-season action against Port Adelaide.
Defend and counter-attack to space with multiple avenues to goal.
High pressure around the ball as teams exit.
And connection between midfielders and forwards will be important.
But the ace in the hand is someone all AFL fans know and respect: Nat Fyfe.
Let me tell you, as a forward, he is the real deal.
I watched Fyfe closely in the pre-season, effectively isolating him throughout a quarter and observing and watching how he moved as a forward.
He looked great. He looked like a key forward.
It wasn’t just what he did around the ball, but his off the ball movement, his reaction to play up the field, his positioning against his opposition marker.
I could barely fault it.

Fyfe will cause some serious issues for opposition backmen this season as a full time forward. I think he kicks 40 plus goals quite easily.
He will need the support of others to do so, though, from players like Matt Taberner, Josh Treacy, Sam Switkowski, Lachie Shultz and Michael Walters. Darcy and Jackson should both spend time down there, too, as resting rucks.
On paper, those names stack up against good teams.
Fremantle missed the top four by half a game last year after a late Collingwood goal in the final match of the season.
But they weren’t ready to win it all last year.
They had some missing pieces.
They are ready this year.
I have the Fremantle Dockers finishing second on the ladder, challenging for a premiership, their first ever.
The cup is there for the taking if they want it badly enough.

The HPN data guys have us finishing 8th this season.

Titus O'Reily is back.

Some gold in there, including this:

After opting out of playing last season, there are rumours coming out of the west that the Eagles will play this season.

It’s exciting news for West Coast fans who experienced last season something that I would only wish on my worst enemy, who happens to be an Eagles supporter named Susan.

You know what you did, Susan.

Sumich is an irrelevant air thief. The West only gave him a platform to piss us off. Wouldn’t waste my time on that rag and neither should any Freo supporter.

How so Suma
The thing that annoys me is he writes his opinion on things without substance. "Fyfe was pushed out", really Sumich, how about prove it.

We can all be 100% confident that Fyfe stepping down and becoming a gun forward is the right decision as Sumich would have done the opposite.

Titus O'Reily is back.

Some gold in there, including this:

My favourite bits involving RTB:

"Most Saints fans I’ve spoken to have reacted to Ross' return like someone who has gotten back with an ex. They try to sound positive, but you can see in their haunted eyes them remembering all the trauma from the earlier relationship.

Fremantle faces their ex-coach, and like someone bumping into their ex, who has gotten back with their ex, they can feel relieved that that person is now their ex."

Exactly, Fyfe and Aish two off the top of your head that would be more than serviceable as the 1st and 2nd mid. Reckon Ras, Johno and even NOD stack up fairly well compared to anything the Dees are digging up. Fortunately for them, Oliver and Trac seem durable.
wait til Chapman goes in there and can't be forced out until later in his career, Pav and Fyfe style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back