Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2051992

Here is another gem from the ABC boys with a deep dive into contested possessions. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I dig this stuff.

Science is often taught with over simplifications. For example a primary school kid will be taught there are three states of matter (it's not earth, air and fire.)

Then later you find out about a thing called plasma. This is primarily useful for quiz nights as it doesn't really have any useful applications in day to day life.
And that's that, there are four states of matter: solid, liquid, gaseous and plasma.

Then one day you hear a podcast or see a fun fact about scientists finding a new state of matter so you google "how many states of matter are there?" and then it gets really confusing.

You're then left with the thought that maybe our understanding of the world as being made of air, earth and fire gives us a better way to navigate the world than knowing there is something called a Bose-Einstein condensate.

So anyway, here is the link:

I once won a $75 drink voucher for the table at a pub quiz by knowing the orbital period of Venus. Don't underestimate the power of non applicable knowledge.

View attachment 2051992

Here is another gem from the ABC boys with a deep dive into contested possessions. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I dig this stuff.

Science is often taught with over simplifications. For example a primary school kid will be taught there are three states of matter (it's not earth, air and fire.)

Then later you find out about a thing called plasma. This is primarily useful for quiz nights as it doesn't really have any useful applications in day to day life. And that's that, there are four states of matter: solid, liquid, gaseous and plasma.

Then one day you hear a podcast or see a fun fact about scientists finding a new state of matter so you google "how many states of matter are there?" and the then it gets really confusing.

I was left with the thought that maybe our understanding of the world as being made of air, earth and fire gives us a better way to navigate the world than knowing there is something called a Bose-Einstein condensate.

However, knowing that there are more than five, perhaps as many as twenty something, gives me a pleasantly smug type of feeling.

The Dirty Ball (knock ons to advantage) is one area where we can have a massive improvement in close contested games.

Lowest rank, biggest room for improvement.

Think you are reading far too much into what Quarters had to say, he simply let his co-host go hard and was just playing the straight bat. Barra is a nuff and gets far too emotional with the WA v the East rhetoric, Quarters just adds a bit more of a level headed approach.

Mmm I used to think Quarters was decent when it was him and Duff - but Barra’s actually been pretty good at exposing him for the spineless mouthpiece for the West that he is.

I don’t think he’s malicious, but he has lost all integrity IMO by staunchly defending and standing by every pathetic article and back page the West has published in last 24 months

Draper has shown that he will be a best 22 defender in the next year or so, I wouldn't be trading Cox this year but not against trading him down the line when Draper is ready to play a full season.

Will add, it depends how APs body holds up. Our window is open for the next 3-4 years and we should be trying to improve where possible. If that means trading Cox in order for Draper to play and we can use the capital on something we need I'm all for it.
I’m sorry what??? Draper has moments where he looks good he’s been serviceable at best. Draper is 3-4 years away from being best 22 he needs to develop his body and brain so much more before he’s best 22. Cox was in all Australian squad 2 years ago and coming off a bad injury saying to trade him for an unproven playing is the dumbest thing I’ve read

Last edited:
Honestly could be the best

I’m sorry what??? Draper has moments where he looks good he’s been serviceable at best. Draper is 3-4 years away from being best 22 he needs to develop his body and brain so much more before he’s best 22. Cox was in all Australian squad 2 years ago and coming off a bad injury saying to trade him for an unproven playing is the dumbest thing I’ve read

How does he look 3-4 years away when he just had a great game v Sydney. I never said we should be trading Cox this year but IF Draper looks ready to go as a best 22 KPD in 2026 we should be looking at how we make the whole squad stronger, if that means trading Cox to get a massive haul back we should look at it.

But go off.

The Dirty Ball (knock ons to advantage) is one area where we can have a massive improvement in close contested games.

Lowest rank, biggest room for improvement.
It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between wet weather games played and this stat.

Having said that, there are definitely times when I'm screaming at the TV because the boys are trying to take possession and handball out of traffic when they could be taking territory.

How does he look 3-4 years away when he just had a great game v Sydney. I never said we should be trading Cox this year but IF Draper looks ready to go as a best 22 KPD in 2026 we should be looking at how we make the whole squad stronger, if that means trading Cox to get a massive haul back we should look at it.

But go off.
He had a good last qtr in that game did you not see him concede 10 goals against the dogs 2 weeks prior to that?

Cox and Ryan (and probably Pearce) are a package - I don't think you split them up :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But go off.
And yes real smart for a team in a premiership window to trade an A grade back man for picks to gift games to a kid that isn’t ready for a full season. We ain’t in the eagles position to just give games out he’s only played from necessity he still would be 3/4 in line maybe behind OMac aswell. He will get his chances but still has a lot to learn and develop

View attachment 2051992

Here (well actually at the bottom below my gratuitous diatribe) is another gem from the ABC boys with a deep dive into contested possessions. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I dig this stuff.

Then later you find out about a thing called plasma. This is primarily useful for quiz nights as it doesn't really have any useful applications in day to day life. And that's that, there are four states of matter: solid, liquid, gaseous and plasma.

Then one day you hear a podcast or see a fun fact about scientists finding a new state of matter so you google "how many states of matter are there?" and it gets really confusing.

I was left with the thought that maybe our understanding of the world as being made of air, earth and fire gives us a better way to navigate the world than knowing there is something called a Bose-Einstein condensate.

However, knowing that there are more than five, perhaps as many as twenty something, gives me a pleasantly smug type of feeling.

Horses for courses right.

Simplified models help us understand vast amounts of information or make quick decisions, which is often very valuable.
The trick is knowing when simplification gets you into trouble.

For most of the football analysis here we're sitting in a very simplified world with no detailed stats (inc. GPS, strength markers, etc.), vision or appreciation of the roles and craft.
I'm sure there's individuals here who understand more of it, I certainly don't.

From a media perspective I'd love more of it, which is why even slightly more nuanced views such as Mark Stone's is so appreciated.
Less so the Champion Data stuff as I think they've skewed away from talking about stuff the clubs actually look at, and more into what creates a narrative or sounds interesting.

And yes real smart for a team in a premiership window to trade an A grade back man for picks to gift games to a kid that isn’t ready for a full season. We ain’t in the eagles position to just give games out he’s only played from necessity he still would be 3/4 in line maybe behind OMac aswell. He will get his chances but still has a lot to learn and develop

You aren't even bothering to read what I wrote so let's just leave it at that.

Thanks for this. What I find interesting about it is how it helps to frame Longmuir's refrain about "the contest".

I mean, I'm broadly aware of and sensitive to the fact that "contested possessions" includes a bunch of different actions. Even so, when I hear Longmuir talking about the need to be stronger in the contest, I inevitably picture the hardball get.

But it seems reasonable / probable that he's using the language of statistical categories, rather than amateur football, and so when he talks about winning the contest — and bearing in mind that he has often spoke in his pressers about being down on post-clearance contested possessions — it's just as likely that he's talking about post-clearance loose ball / ground ball gets as winning the post-hit-out hardball in "the coalface". And that actually corresponds with the area in those games we lose where I often see us falling down: a frustrating inability or inconsistency in taking clean possession of loose ground balls ("one-touch footy").

Just leave it at you have no clue and we can

Not sure why you are so aggressive. Was merely stating that IF Draper is ready to be best 22 in 2026 we should be looking at all options to make the squad better. Trading Cox could be an option if the capital we get improves us in a different position of need.

Just relax on the aggressive responses, you don't have to agree but IMO anyone can be traded if it improves the overall squad. I mean look at the Pies, would you have thought that trading Grundy so Darcy Cameron could be their No1 ruck would give them leverage to improve the side?

Not sure why you are so aggressive. Was merely stating that IF Draper is ready to be best 22 in 2026 we should be looking at all options to make the squad better. Trading Cox could be an option if the capital we get improves us in a different position of need.

Just relax on the aggressive responses, you don't have to agree but IMO anyone can be traded if it improves the overall squad. I mean look at the Pies, would you have thought that trading Grundy so Darcy Cameron could be their No1 ruck would give them leverage to improve the side?
Actually yes I do with the pies trade you look at the past grand final winners since like 2010 besides Gawn none have been elite ruckman in the winning side and everyone says Jackson turned that grand final to Melbournes favour last 5-10 mins of that 3rd qtr.

Don’t mean to be aggressive just don’t think trading cox would make any sense at all when 1. Pearce would be 31 that year and close to moving to Tasmania and 2. Draper isn’t a key defender he’s just playing that role atm cause we had no one else at his best he’d be a 3rd tall intercept like MJ was and there is not definite that he can improve that much to be a best 22 in a top 4 side

Actually yes I do with the pies trade you look at the past grand final winners since like 2010 besides Gawn none have been elite ruckman in the winning side and everyone says Jackson turned that grand final to Melbournes favour last 5-10 mins of that 3rd qtr.

Don’t mean to be aggressive just don’t think trading cox would make any sense at all when 1. Pearce would be 31 that year and close to moving to Tasmania and 2. Draper isn’t a key defender he’s just playing that role atm cause we had no one else at his best he’d be a 3rd tall intercept like MJ was and there is not definite that he can improve that much to be a best 22 in a top 4 side

Thanks for an actual response, I am also not saying we should be trading Cox. BUT if Draper keeps improving at the rate he currently is we should be looking at all options come 2026-27. Cox isn't an untradeable player IMO.

Given you saw it with the Pies, I guess you are more than open for Fremantle to trade Darcy.

Kane - Freo should trade both their doig medalist/AA squad ruckman and AA squad intercept defender

Also Kane - “Wow Freo sure know how to lose them”
Kane's just AFL's equivalent of a shock jock. He even has admitted learning his style from the Americans. He's successfully kept himself as the most talked about AFL media personaltiy of the 200 or so out there. So you just have to see his comments for what they are - maintaining limelight, not accuracy or insightful or useful.

I call him Shock Kock

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back