Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

also, King and Whately don't rate Freo's chances and are salivating over the Bulldogs (who are not even in the 8 yet)

KING​

1 - Brisbane

“I've got Brisbane at one,” King said on SEN Whateley.

“I think they've come with a rush and they've been very consistent in the last few weeks.

“It's not just Lachie Neale … what they did in the last three minutes last night really won. It was terrific.

“I think right now if they can get themselves to second and go home final into home final, they could be there again.”

2 - Sydney

“Sydney, and I could have had them a lot lower.

“But you’ve got to have them there. They're still still top of the table.”

3 - Carlton

“I’m just hanging around with Carlton.

“That wasn't impressive. It really wasn't on the weekend.

“I want to know who their third midfielder is. There's still a few unanswered questions there.

“It’s a danger game this Friday. I’m worried about Weitering carrying that mattress around on his thigh.

“There's a few worries with Carlton.”

4 - Western Bulldogs

“I’ve got the Dogs, I'm staying strong.

“I feel like we've got to ride this journey, even if they go to Sydney and lose, I'll be tempted to keep them in next week.”

WHATELEY​

1 - Sydney

“I've got Sydney at one.

“I'll just keep them there for the time being.

“So I've got 1 v 4 in my seedings coming up on Sunday.”

2 - Brisbane

3 - Hawthorn

“I've had Hawthorn in the seedings for weeks and they’re sliding up to three.”

4 - Western Bulldogs

“The Dogs are four for me.

“We had a peek at them a few weeks back but they’re back at four.”
You need to throw off that ingrained freo fan insecurity that craves credit and praise from these type of guys.

The more they write us off the better. I really don’t know how people can’t see that. It’s such a positive that we dont get much media praise nationally.

As soon as freo players get their tyres pumped in the media, we are at much higher risk of turning in a shit performance.
Our players are human and it’s only natural that when people start saying nice flattering things about them - they get a bit complacent and soft.
This comp is so even now that whoever wins the flag will have ravenous hunger and workrate and pressure thoughout the finals series. You want an edge, a point to prove every single moment of every game that’s left.

This kind of shit talk from SEN is a distraction for our young team. We don’t need it.

I was so so pleased today that we barely got a mention on the national podcasts and footy shows so far today.

If I had my way we would make it all the way to the GF without even being mentioned by the likes of whately and king.

There is only one time that matters to be a number one in these rankings - that’s the day after the grand final.
If we are number one that day, come on here and cash in all the tickets you like about how we were written off. Can even spend the entire summer doing it.

People have very short memories. That Bulldogs final, the whole team was shell shocked and it was Walters who carried us and got us back into the game. We have lost a bit of leadership since then, although our core is older. Fyfe and Walters are going to be critical to our final hopes, we need them in the team, even if they aren't doing it all themselves and in the best players.

It's no coincidence that the oldest list/team has won the flag two years in a row.
Now that we are playing more dangerous forwards in the team, we may have the opportunity to get Walters better match-ups more often than he was getting before. And with our ability to move the ball quicker he may get more opportunity to use his footy smarts and skills to find space and kick goals. Asking him to compete against defenders who were always quicker and taller wasn't very realistic.
I noticed in this game he just moved the ball on quicker, as well, and didn't try his shimmies and what not. It worked much better that way. The good thing now is, that if the oppo put one of their best defenders on him, then someone else can take advantage of that. It's just a case of our distributors realizing that and choosing the better option on the day.
Being experienced doesn't help the team if you keep stuffing up every time you go near the ball. We just need to read the room right on the day.

Now that we are playing more dangerous forwards in the team, we may have the opportunity to get Walters better match-ups more often than he was getting before. And with our ability to move the ball quicker he may get more opportunity to use his footy smarts and skills to find space and kick goals. Asking him to compete against defenders who were always quicker and taller wasn't very realistic.
I noticed in this game he just moved the ball on quicker, as well, and didn't try his shimmies and what not. It worked much better that way. The good thing now is, that if the oppo put one of their best defenders on him, then someone else can take advantage of that. It's just a case of our distributors realizing that and choosing the better option on the day.
Being experienced doesn't help the team if you keep stuffing up every time you go near the ball. We just need to read the room right on the day.
Just wait till the finals, that’s when experience matters. I’m an experienced footy watcher and it holds true as far as I can see.

A young player may put out slightly better numbers for a few weeks but it’s not going to be the same result when the heat is on.

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, he'd probably not going anywhere anyway but I do agree the 4 goals is flattering (just ad much as Amiss'). The same issues are still there and everyone can keep supporting a club legend but I agree it's only going to end painfully when the speed and pressure goes up in a final.
Trouble is, do we have anyone in the sheds we can bring to out to replace him?

Getting the mids to take the right option is still key, someone (think it was Andy) still decided to drop it on Walters head when Lever was about 5m away and there were 4 other Melbourne players in the vicinity, I may have screamed profanity at the tv at that point.

Getting the mids to take the right option is still key, someone (think it was Andy) still decided to drop it on Walters head when Lever was about 5m away and there were 4 other Melbourne players in the vicinity, I may have screamed profanity at the tv at that point.
Bana's certainly did that as well. Was better after that though. I hear you with the profanities thing. Hate to think what my neighbours think.

Chronologically it should be the white jumper with the purple anchor, but this would create a clash with Geelong’s jumper.

I think if it's the purple jumper with the white anchor it will crash their website selling them.

You need to throw off that ingrained freo fan insecurity that craves credit and praise from these type of guys.

The more they write us off the better. I really don’t know how people can’t see that. It’s such a positive that we dont get much media praise nationally.

As soon as freo players get their tyres pumped in the media, we are at much higher risk of turning in a shit performance.
Our players are human and it’s only natural that when people start saying nice flattering things about them - they get a bit complacent and soft.
This comp is so even now that whoever wins the flag will have ravenous hunger and workrate and pressure thoughout the finals series. You want an edge, a point to prove every single moment of every game that’s left.

This kind of shit talk from SEN is a distraction for our young team. We don’t need it.

I was so so pleased today that we barely got a mention on the national podcasts and footy shows so far today.

If I had my way we would make it all the way to the GF without even being mentioned by the likes of whately and king.

There is only one time that matters to be a number one in these rankings - that’s the day after the grand final.
If we are number one that day, come on here and cash in all the tickets you like about how we were written off. Can even spend the entire summer doing it.
I was actually laughing at their predictions

Anyone know where stats for score sources can be found? Checked footywire & wheel-o. (I could just be blind)

Feel like we score just as much from back half and transition as from clearance.

Anyone know where stats for score sources can be found? Checked footywire & wheel-o. (I could just be blind)

Feel like we score just as much from back half and transition as from clearance.
Even though we smashed them in the middle on Saturday, most of our scoring chains originated from the back half.

Converting and capitalising on our stoppage dominance on the scoreboard would be high up on JL's to do list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1721710044298.png

A healthy profile. 50% from turnover, 35% from stoppage. 40% from front half, 35% from back.

View attachment 2056597
Yeah, but was specifically looking for the last match.

Found it, was hidden to the side of the page, and no scroll bar.

Def need to get better at turning centre clearance into score. Does indicate that there's another level of improvement to come though.

And teams that focus on stopping us at centre clearance, maybe forget that back half scoring is our REAL strength.

1721710269790.png

Def need to get better at turning centre clearance into score. Does indicate that there's another level of improvement to come though.

And teams that focus on stopping us at centre clearance, maybe forget that back half scoring is our REAL strength.

View attachment 2056604
Inaccuracy cost us our clearance goals, thus the opportunities were created, just not taken.

Goss on SEN Breakfast talked about how hard 'Josh Treacy' was after getting shoved by Steven May after his goal on the weekend. No one corrected him.

Is it literally only Duffield who knows what's what with our club?

Yeah he's dry as ****, but he's one of a handful that don't dribble or overdo the cliches (bar contest but they all have at least one of those).

Ross pressers are still my favourites and Ken is the best if you want cringe.

To be fair to King, he said that under the assumption that AP and Jackson would be missing lots of games.
I haven't heard many of his pressers this year, but last year he gave "clearly" a nice old run.
Would've made for an interesting drinking game

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2056604

If you click "Last 5 rounds" you'll find we are #1 in the comp for scores from defensive half.

We're also very strong in scoring from turnovers #3. (After Carl and StK)

It's disappointing that we're middling for scores from Stoppage. If we can capitalise on that we'll be unstoppable.

Also we are worst in the comp for scoring from Kick ins. Which is maybe not a major drama as kick ins are always a minor score source but I just feel we can get more out of kick ins. I don't feel confident at kick ins that we're going to get the ball out of defense, let alone into F50.

If you click "Last 5 rounds" you'll find we are #1 in the comp for scores from defensive half.

It's disappointing that we're middling for scores from Stoppage. If we can capitalise on that we'll be unstoppable.

Also we are worst in the comp for scoring from Kick ins. Which is maybe not a major drama as kick ins are always a minor score source but I just feel we can get more out of kick ins. I don't feel confident at kick ins that we're going to get the ball out of defense, let alone into F50.

Yeah, the kick ins one, and I think to some extent the scores from centre clearance are misleading a little. These would be based on a direct line of possessions from source to score.

I think a lot of time a secondary stoppage is created, and then they score from there, which is where the rate of scores from back half and front half come in.

There's def room to improve and take the secondary stoppage out of it though, which is exciting.

Yes, it has been quite frustrating over the last few years to have Ryan either kick to the ruckman on the half back line or to his mate Cox. If we had mastered the kick in by now we could score an extra 2-3 goals a game from this source.

For those of us who take an interest in things that really matter ABC ran a doco on Nicky Winmar’s statement on racism, Victoria Park 1993. Part of the series I Was Actually There. Can be seen on Iview.Features interviews with players, spectators and the photographers who took the famous photographs. Importantly the one who got close enough to hear what Nicky said at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back