Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that could be Darren Capewell in the red jumper to the right of Peter Miller. Player who never played a game due to injury but looked very classy in the WAFL.

Actually, there's an article by Les Everett from yonks...not the same photo...but it does list the names of the players at the 1st training session.

A lot of conversation has been had here about the love we all have for the Mighty Fremantle Dockers.I have to admit that Fremantle is not my first real love of top level football, but that honour is to the Mighty Fighting South Fremantle Bulldogs.
I remarked in a previous post about how many supporters always seem to want to look back rather than forward. I apologise if my comment offended any one here.
After reading others comments, I understand how diverse our followers are. Probably many , like me, in the 30 year bracket. Many younger and other finding their way to the club via another avenue rather than being born into the game of Aussie rules.I have read the posts and the differences now.
There could be so much and so many stories to be told about how our club came to be,but, most know that I am sure.If not, take time to research it. You will find out just how much of a struggle it was in our early years.
But I found a photo today, a blast from the past. Our first squad and theiir first training session at the home of WA football, Fremantle oval.View attachment 2045382
I see it was still a parking lot 30 years ago.

so, I have been emotionally checked out of footy and fremantle for about 5 years now, drained by the continuous orbit around the optimism triangle. I still follow how they go and read these pages occasionally. Now quite circumstantially I have a road trip planned to Melbourne in September and damn it if I am not being sucked in again! oh the uncertainty! can they do it... will I see a flag before I croak? (am 72 now, itsa worry)

so, I have been emotionally checked out of footy and fremantle for about 5 years now, drained by the continuous orbit around the optimism triangle. I still follow how they go and read these pages occasionally. Now quite circumstantially I have a road trip planned to Melbourne in September and damn it if I am not being sucked in again! oh the uncertainty! can they do it... will I see a flag before I croak? (am 72 now, itsa worry)
Welcome back aboard 🫡 this show is just getting started

I counted 15 players in vision or mentioned in commentary that were part of our 1st AFL squad in this 7 minute collection of clips from the 1994 2nd Semi Final between Claremont and East Fremantle. Claremont won but East Fremantle came back to win the Grand Final.

From memory, I think Gerard Neesham handed over the Claremont coaching job to Mark Riley mid-season to focus on the planning for Fremantle AFL. Humble beginnings.

Edit: I think it's 13 players. Mitchell didn't get drafted until 1996 and I'm not sure if I see Jamie Merillo.

Last edited:
Come back Wally, you'll be sorry if you don't.

Welcome Home GIF

These are the people I was speaking about prior. sorry to hijack your opinion, Wally, and feel free to call me that.

I hope we win a flag for these rusted on supporters. they genuinely deserve it. the pain has been heavy for a long, long time – a death by a thousand cuts, but some are from a perfect Japanese gyuto, the other few from a sharehouse anko, and many more just from old simple paper.

I want to see a flag for the people I know who aren't around anymore and the people who don't have time on their side.

I'm in Melbourne and should be able to get a ticket but I reckon I'll probably go home if we make the Grand Final.

Nirvana was an all time great band but even 30 years on I can't listen to their music anymore after it was overplayed and killed so much as a kid. I guess only having 3 or so albums didn't help either.
I’ll never get sick of listening to this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nirvana was an all time great band but even 30 years on I can't listen to their music anymore after it was overplayed and killed so much as a kid. I guess only having 3 or so albums didn't help either.
The best thing you can do for your enjoyment of anything is completely disconnect from the mainstream. I never watch TV aside from footy, or listen to radio etc and as a result nothing is tainted by over saturation

That accolade belongs to Pearl Jam for me but I do not like Nirvana in the slightest.
Eddie and the band did some great understated stuff but in my eyes they are a great performing rock band. Nirvana were simply Kurt and his genius, which came through best in that unplugged form.

Not that I’ve ever taken music seriously😏

Astute. I apologise for the utterly subjective ramblings to follow but I feel like I've sort of seen this from afar. From what I've seen it's very much tied to especially 2015 - The Prelim that kinda broke that spirit. Every home game and final, at least through the T.V., always had a feeling to it, an atmosphere. But that was a grind. After the electric start to 2015 we had quite a few wet weather games.

The combination of a laborious gamestyle, heavy legs from heavy track, lots of old legs, some damning losses and very uninspiring wins, key injuries piling up and a shared certainty that that was our last chance for quite some time: There was a genuine panic and a mania that set in. The difference between late 2015 crowds and 2013 crowds wouldn't have been obvious to the neutral and uninitiated but it felt like a tidal wave of anxiety. I remember this board was a bit of a miserable place to be because there was this heavy impending feeling of dread...a cliff. 2013 felt new, exciting, it felt like those 04-06 crowds where there was expectation yet genuine exploration: We were in uncharted territory and we couldn't wait to see what happened next.

That Sydney QF win was a weird feeling. It didn't feel like Freo won a final: It felt like we stretched a rubber band further than we ever had before. Hands down the least joy I've ever experienced from watching a finals win. But that prelim...the first 10 minutes felt like a wave building to a massive crescendo until some rather unfortunate umpiring and even more unfortunate goal kicking lead to that Sutcliffe kick across goal to Sheridan with Cyril bearing down on him...our time was gone and it broke us.

What's worse was how hastily we tried to fix things. We kept trying to bring in the next big recruits topping up with some astute drafting. But the on field performance was just so...meh. Personally I've never felt a season quite as dire as 2018: Every win felt like it was predictable. Outside of the first derby we never felt like we were close to jagging a game we weren't supposed to. Each game was mostly low scoring and kept at arms length (or belted off the park).

We're finally now at a point where we've developed into quite a strong position for now and the future and there is this feeling again...but there's a LOT of conditioning to overcome before that culture/atmosphere fully explodes again. We just can't quite get there yet despite there being some clear signs that we're building. We can't trust yet...but we're getting there. That 2022 final saw glimmers of that old atmosphere.

If we can finish the season strong and somehow, someway squeeze into Top 4 I reckon we'll see quite a bit of that rabid Freo frenzy at whatever final we host. Or really, the next time (whenever that may be in the short or far flung future) we make the Top 4.
Thanks
I love this and it’s a great summation

As much as I’m excited that we have a very good list again and should be set for at least a few years of good footy I have this impending sense of doom that if we don’t achieve something great ( and quickly ) that the list will get gutted before we know it and we will be back to being mediocre again .

A team full of very talented Victorians living in WA surely isn’t sustainable ?

Anyway sorry for the Debbie Downer 😁

That’s my glass half empty

Glass half full is that we should enjoy it while it lasts and maybe, just maybe Longmuir and the Board have created a destination club culture where we can keep building and replenishing a good list 😁

Rewatching all the games this season Tracey especially and amiss and Jackson often move upfield to the wings to gain the ball . You need to look at the players just around the packs nit just at the ones getting ball .

With increased skill and confidence they are now hitting their targets

As to mid me in forward line , brayshaw and seeing were having shots but missing . Sane as Fyfe when he went forward

So the plan similar but different players eg yiung . But overall same plan. , win the contest move the ball fast if possible , kick around if no one free
I don't have stats for it, but I think it is pretty apparent that Treacy and Amiss are getting the ball outside 50 more. The ball moves slower if you don't have marking targets. Longmuir is risk averse, and wants contests weighted in our favour.

I think the below are also a reflection of a change to the game plan:
  • moving Brayshaw from more outside to inside (his disposal on the outside is not quite good enough and his speed and tackling inside are useful)
  • getting JOM on the wing more (he is low scoring as a forward , but on the wing he wins contests and seems to do well delivering forward)
  • rolling your midfielder with the best disposal forward (Young is doing both midfield and forward roles beautifully. Should be on double pay)
  • I'm also suspicious that Longmuir is not moving Darcy into the forward line as much as he has done in the past.

What I see in those changes, and almost all of the changes I have mentioned, is that they are about 'moving the ball fast if possible', and I would add that the purpose is to become a higher scoring side. The changes in the game plan are designed to make moving the ball faster possible.

If you revert to our previous structure, the balance is more about possession and defence.

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back