Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I still remember walking up to AT&T stadium for the first time ever being in awe after watching it on tv at 4am in the morning for 10 years (and being there on madden).

I thought recently while walking up to Optus, I bet there have been some that feel that walking here, only having watched Freo on tv prior. The things we take for granted eh.
It will be a special day when it happens for me. Just taking in the atmosphere and being able to see the entire ground, not just the small perspective of the TV. I'm saving my pennies...

Given this thread is now about gatekeeping the fanbase, I remember hearing John McGlue on ABC radio say how if we won the flag in 2013 the only people allowed to appreciate the premiership were those who were there since the bad old days in the 90s.
Doubtlessly some people on here will agree.

Back onto the media, here's slobbo rambling on VFL360 about the shitrag West with no hint of irony or self awareness.

One of the things I liked about Fremantle Big Footy when I joined way back when was that it didn’t - good or bad - gatekeep who could be part. The only requirement was a shared love for the Freo Footy Club. I could ask questions as I learned about the game, and I had somewhere to chat with fellow tribe members about ffootball (as none of my good friends or my husband really watched it). It was also a great place to celebrate the highs and the lows with people who actually got it.

I’ve been around for the last 12 years, and for the most part, barring the occasional unpleasant exchanges with obnoxious and opinionated posters who wanted to put me in my place (wherever that is), it’s been pretty chill and accepting to all and sundry who have come here because we love Freo, regardless of how we got here. Because, even if we weren’t around in the 90’s, we actually do get it.

The great thing is, it actually translates to real life.

When I was living in Adelaide and Sydney, I always got a buzz when I (very rarely) saw a fellow supporter wearing Docker gear. My husband, more outgoing than me, more often than not calls it out to the fan and there’s always a short chat about how the team is going this year with a total stranger. It’s great and one of the best things about being part of the Purple Army. And I’m so glad that the club has embraced that.

As for people who only want to hang out with OG, multigenerational, “we are the only ones that matter” fans and not the ignorant blow ins, maybe Dockerland is more your speed. They’re so exclusive, I hear you need to have patents of nobility to be able to post. I never even tried to get in there because there was no way I would be deemed good enough. 😂

Last edited:

It’s not my fault I’m excellent. I actually am not gatekeeping - Freo picks you, not me - I am moaning like a grumpy old campaigner about being shit for 30 years and getting a whinge in about the “game day experience” while I am there. A purely aesthetic response I feel no need to defend. It’s shit.

Except the way Kevin Parker nails the essence of Malcolm Young’s guitar tone in the three-quarter-time fight song. And the fantastic lyrics - about revelling in the tears of others.

That’s really good. He does the most Freo thing in turning garbage into gold; grabbing a shitty netball chant “Let’s go Freo lets go” and turning it into the sort of thing intrepid warriors coolly say as they enter the arena of discovery.

In a low key kind of way.

I realise the shouting MC and the crap song polls and dancing contests aren’t for me. Complaining about them is for me though. That’s my demographic, baby.

You’re more than welcome, Grape Bear. You’re the boss of this joint.

One of the things I liked about Fremantle Big Footy when I joined way back when was that it didn’t - good or bad - gatekeep who could be part. The only requirement was a shared love for the Freo Footy Club. I could ask questions as I learned about the game, and I had somewhere to chat with fellow tribe members about ffootball (as none of my good friends or my husband really watched it). It was also a great place to celebrate the highs and the lows with people who actually got it.

I’ve been around for the last 12 years, and for the most part, barring the occasional unpleasant exchanges with obnoxious and opinionated posters who wanted to put me in my place (wherever that is), it’s been pretty chill and accepting to all and sundry who have come here because we love Freo, regardless of how we got here. Because, even if we weren’t around in the 90’s, we actually do get it.

The great thing, it actually translates to real life.

When I was living in Adelaide and Sydney, I always got a buzz when I (very rarely) saw a fellow supporter wearing Docker gear. My husband, more outgoing than me, more often than not calls it out to the fan and there’s always a short chat about how the team is going this year with a total stranger. It’s great and one of the best things about being part of the Purple Army. And I’m so glad that the club has embraced that.

As for people who only want to hang out with OG, multigenerational, “we are the only ones that matter fans” and not the ignorant blow ins, maybe Dockerland is more your speed. They’re so exclusive, I hear you need to have patents of nobility to be able to post. I never even tried to get in there because there was no way I would be deemed good enough. 😂
I remember the first home game of 2004 sitting near a couple of massive dorks making a few almost snide comments about the ground now being full of bandwagon types. Yeah like it being 80+% full now instead of half empty is like a bad thing.

I remember the first home game of 2004 sitting near a couple of massive dorks making a few almost snide comments about the ground now being full of bandwagon types. Yeah like it being 80+% full now instead of half empty is like a bad thing.
And you don’t become a hardcore supporter unless you start being a supporter.

Despise gate keeping. It hurts the product in the end by turning prospective fans away.

Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha! Real gatekeeping is going up to teenagers wearing Doors//Nirvana/(insert iconic old band) T-Shirts and asking them what their favorite song is from said band & then utterly humiliating them when they can’t even name one.

;)
No real gatekeeping is when you own and maintain a series of gates.

That's right muddafukkers I'm gatekeeping gatekeeping. Come at me.

Not sure if joking but if not please insert the word “or” instead of slash in my post.
Doors & Nirvana were the first 2 bands that came to mind when thinking of old bands that people still rock T’s.

Ramones is another
Definitely light hearted - I just mean to see written next to each other. Interesting combo.

We still chip it around . Game plan not changed . It is just our skill level as team improving so our hanballing skills and running to space is working now . Earlier we kept possession until we were sure of where it going

Now they trust their team mates . So we will still chip and mark when needed depending who we playing
Really? I think our forward work has transformed during the season and clearly reflects an evolution of the game plan.

Some examples:
- The mids rest forward a lot more and have become critical scoring options, especially Young. That alone is a massive change in our game plan.

- Treacy and to a lesser extent Amiss are roaming more and playing important roles providing link ups from defence to attack.

- In Walters absence Sturt has come in and plays a totally different game as well as bringing marking and goal kicking accuracy.

Ha! Real gatekeeping is going up to teenagers wearing Doors//Nirvana/(insert iconic old band) T-Shirts and asking them what their favorite song is from said band & then utterly humiliating them when they can’t even name one.

;)
Saw a Kardashian in an Iron Maiden shirt once and vomited in my mouth a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back