Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson(fwd)+Reidy > Jackson(ruck)+Treacy?

Obviously:
Darcy+Jackson(fwd) > Jackson(ruck)+Treacy
The clincher for me is when 2 of Darcy, Treacy, Jackson and Amiss are unavailable.

I think you can make the case that Jackson(ruck) + Treacy (fwd/ruck) + Voss (fwd) > Reidy(ruck) + Jackson (fwd/ruck) + Voss (fwd) (obviously in both situations you also have Amiss). That was the situation against Hawthorn, and while I didn't like the Jackson vs Meek matchup, maybe Reidy is being overestimated by some and maybe that was the right call. Hard to know.

I think once it becomes Treacy and Darcy out, it's a relatively easy Reidy(ruck) + Jackson(fwd/ruck) + Voss (fwd) > Jackson(ruck) + Voss (fwd/ruck) + Taberner.

Mark Stone had some interesting observations on a couple of tactics Geelong used to slow down our ball movement. From 2:25.

https://omny.fm/shows/wide-world-of-sports-6pr/stone-cold-stats-ahead-of-round-23
Unfortunately if he can analyse the problems, and it has been ongoing all year
then it is a coaching issue.
No defensive pressure forward, no Darcy no structure, limit run from the backline.
I bet every opposing team would love Ryan to be the quarterback and his high
disposal numbers.
Obviously our run is an asset, it’s the hard edge that is missing so teams pressure
us into submission, teams know we try to defend a lead rather than going for the
jugular.
We leave the door open and then wonder why we got rolled?
Our tackle count is a reflection of our soft underbelly so I doubt we have the fortitude to win finals against physical teams.

Damn right

It’s too late this year for the two rucks to step up .
Jackson isn’t a first ruck and Darcy needs a preseason where we can see
a body transformation that equals his huge paycheque.

Unfortunately if he can analyse the problems, and it has been ongoing all year
then it is a coaching issue.

I heard Chris Scott's comments post-match which were something along the lines saying that Fremantle's game plan is easy to scout but that it's not so easy to do something about it.

Fremantle Dockers vice-captain Caleb Serong says he’s barracking for West Coast Eagles against Carlton​

Caleb Serong says he would “very much appreciate” a victory for West Coast this weekend as Fremantle look towards their cross-town rivals to help their finals cause.
In a rare admission, Serong said he would enjoy seeing the Eagles beat Carlton in Perth on Sunday, a result that could give the Dockers a significant boost in their desperate late bid to hold onto their spot in the top-eight.
And Serong said he wants to flip the script on Fremantle’s treacherous run home this season.

The midfield leader believes clashes with Greater Western Sydney and Port Adelaide that will make-or-break their campaign are actually the perfect run into the finals.
That’s because Serong believes a Dockers side that has got through the next fortnight and is still in the finals reckoning will be one ready to be serious contenders once they get there.
But a victory for West Coast over the battered and bruised Carlton would make life easier.

“I’m barracking hard for them,” Serong told 92.9 Triple M.
“I would very much appreciate it if they got the dub this week, but again we are in the mindset of it’s in our control, and it is.

“If we win the next two games we are in the position we need to be.
“That’s all we’re focused on, and if you kind of get consumed too much by the ladder and the other results, you kind of lose sight of where your head needs to be at.”

Fremantle will go in outsiders against GWS when they meet in Sydney on Saturday. They then play a high-flying Port Adelaide side the following week in the very last game of the entire home-and-away season.
Their finals fate could still hinge on those two hours of football.

“For us if we approach the next two weeks the right way and play some really good footy it is the best run into finals we could ask for,” Serong said.
“We are seeing it as a really good opportunity for us. If we do it the right way and play the type of footy we know we can, that’s the perfect run into finals.
“We have got two really tough games that are both essentially elimination finals.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...sh-with-gws-amid-knee-injury-rehab-c-15697913

“It’s too late this year for the two rucks to step up .
Jackson isn’t a first ruck and Darcy needs a preseason where we can see
a body transformation that equals his huge paycheque.”

Absolutely! He’s been taking the piss, and drinking it for 2 years now. He’s trade bait for me, I’d rather have Lord Meek

The pile on towards Darcy is pretty next level, and I think a lot of is driven by the media narrative (cue the high salary, over investment in rucks, etc.).

Darcy can be a weapon for us, and a point of difference with Jackson.
It's pretty clear we won't see his best this year, and I hope he's feeling the pressure to get out on the field and perform, and has a really solid pre-season.

But the personal attacks and mud slinging are a bit much.

The discussion around his body and fitness is one thing but the talks to trade him are just delusional.

What happens? We trade him and he gets fit and kills it for another team while we suffer with Jackson who can’t ruck and wait several seasons until Knobel can?? If we still had Meek rotting away for Peel it would be a reasonable discussion, but it’s just stupid.

His issue is availability so the solution is to….make him unavailable for us completely?

Mark Duffield is very much along the lines of the more positive and forgiving freo posters on this board so it’s quite an eyebrow raiser to see him go so hard on the ruck duo.
He’s absolutely correct on everything he said in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pile on towards Darcy is pretty next level, and I think a lot of is driven by the media narrative (cue the high salary, over investment in rucks, etc.).

Darcy can be a weapon for us, and a point of difference with Jackson.
It's pretty clear we won't see his best this year, and I hope he's feeling the pressure to get out on the field and perform, and has a really solid pre-season.

But the personal attacks and mud slinging are a bit much.
Well said. I think another thing that’s being missed is that when signed the long contract he had proven to be pretty durable and resilient - 21 games in 2021 and 2022. People speak about him as if he has barely been able to string together games for his whole career.

He needs to get fitter and have an uninterrupted pre season - but I’m sure he’s just as frustrated as any of us at his year.

Well said. I think another thing that’s being missed is that when signed the long contract he had proven to be pretty durable and resilient - 21 games in 2021 and 2022. People speak about him as if he has barely been able to string together games for his whole career.

He needs to get fitter and have an uninterrupted pre season - but I’m sure he’s just as frustrated as any of us at his year.
Yeah it’s only been a year of unavailability, and he’s still played more games in that time than Cox, who’s also signed till 2030 and has had the same issues this year re availability and form.

Yeah it’s only been a year of unavailability, and he’s still played more games in that time than Cox, who’s also signed till 2030 and has had the same issues this year re availability and form.

Well I think theres a (minor) difference in that Cox had one major injury in round 1, rehabbed and is building form off the back of that - there’s less in and out of the team frustration.

The other thing is Cox had a pre season where he showed up looking noticeably leaner and more athletic as if a penny had dropped. Darcy is yet to have that moment.

I think there’s a slight difference to be fair.
Cox did an acute hamstring injury in game one of the season. It was clear and obvious and ruled him out for 12 weeks or so. He rehabbed and appears to be fully recovered since then with no signs of any reoccurrence.

The frustration with Darcy is the constant niggles. Stop start nature of his availability for over 2 years now.
He comes back, plays a couple of underwhelming games then drops in a good one here and there, before getting another niggle and sitting out a game or two.
It’s then back to square one and he appears to often play underdone with knees strapped up and constantly getting treatment. Case in point the last few weeks.

It’s the exact opposite to Cox who had a very clear and defined injury for 12 weeks, got surgery and rehab and is now 100% fit again.

Typical Freo! It's not their fault they are underperforming.
Bullshit.
I agree with everything Duffield said.
He'd know more than me about how much they are getting paid.
At the moment it's way too much

Cox did an acute hamstring injury in game one of the season. It was clear and obvious and ruled him out for 12 weeks or so. He rehabbed and appears to be fully recovered since then with no signs of any reoccurrence.

The frustration with Darcy is the constant niggles. Stop start nature of his availability for over 2 years now.
He comes back, plays a couple of underwhelming games then drops in a good one here and there, before getting another niggle and sitting out a game or two.
It’s then back to square one and he appears to often play underdone with knees strapped up and constantly getting treatment. Case in point the last few weeks.

It’s the exact opposite to Cox who had a very clear and defined injury for 12 weeks, got surgery and rehab and is now 100% fit again.
Part of that is true but it also doesn’t take into account the 6-8 weeks he missed with his leg injury right before the season started, or the month he missed with an ankle injury at the back end of last year. Or the fact that he’s ruptured the same hamstring twice to the point of surgery in a 2.5 year period.

He also got the benefit of being eased back after surgery with built up WAFL reserves and league minutes where Darcy didn’t.

I think it's also important to acknowledge the difference in roles. Darcy plays in the most unforgiving and most likely role to cop an injury. Cox on the other hand takes uncontested makes and pulls out immediately at the sign of a hard contest. I agree Darcy needs a huge off-season but let's not forget that even at his best, he was never a Greek adonis.

I think the Darcy thing needs to have a bit more context. Because I don’t think it’s a question that we are a better team with Darcy playing. We go from a middle of the road clearance and scoring team without Sean to a top 4 team with Sean in.

The Meek thing is interesting too. Lloyd Meek is not some young gun ruckman running around. He is 1.5 months older than Darcy. He’s played less than half the games sure, but only because he was stuck behind Darcy for long periods.

Sure we would’ve preferred Meek for 2024 specifically but surely we aren’t judging players on 1 season. Even going back 1 year, Darcy’s 2023 stats are better than Meeks.

You can’t compare contracts between the two at this point. Meek had played 15 games in 5 years when he was traded. No shit that he’s going to be on a smaller contract. Maybe after 2025 when his contract runs out and he’s played 50 games at the Hawks alone, I reckon he’ll probably get a much bigger contract.

I think the Darcy thing needs to have a bit more context. Because I don’t think it’s a question that we are a better team with Darcy playing. We go from a middle of the road clearance and scoring team without Sean to a top 4 team with Sean in.

The Meek thing is interesting too. Lloyd Meek is not some young gun ruckman running around. He is 1.5 months older than Darcy. He’s played less than half the games sure, but only because he was stuck behind Darcy for long periods.

Sure we would’ve preferred Meek for 2024 specifically but surely we aren’t judging players on 1 season. Even going back 1 year, Darcy’s 2023 stats are better than Meeks.

You can’t compare contracts between the two at this point. Meek had played 15 games in 5 years when he was traded. No shit that he’s going to be on a smaller contract. Maybe after 2025 when his contract runs out and he’s played 50 games at the Hawks alone, I reckon he’ll probably get a much bigger contract.
Meek wasn’t always stuck behind Darcy though. It wasn’t until 2022 where he actually became good enough to compete at AFL level. Does no one else remember when Acres was our second ruck at points in games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back