Resource 2024 Membership - 71,177 as at September 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership Update 2nd August 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1722569648968.png

Increase of 420 members in 4 days (29/07/24)

Up by 5,417 members from the same month last year (08/08/23 - 61,605)

2023 membership record 69,457 before being audited to 64,041

*Crom membership just over 70,000 reported 30th July

Further to my post just above from yesterday, I've just received a follow up email from the club "welcoming" me to the Port Adelaide membership family for 2024. Now, I didn't reply to the initial email, and I certainly didn't take up their "complimentary" 3-game offer. But I have apparently been added to the 2024 membership tally anyway.
This club is in a race to the bottom on all fronts.

Anyone who puts any stock whatsoever in membership numbers at this point is a moron. This is just more proof that it's an entirely made up number with no basis in reality whatsoever.

Anyone who puts any stock whatsoever in membership numbers at this point is a moron. This is just more proof that it's an entirely made up number with no basis in reality whatsoever.

It's a pondzie scheme for the entire afl clubs to trick sponsors

Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere.
I received an email from the club membership dept. It was a bit confusing so I decided to log in to my membership account and see what was happening. I found that my account details were not accepted and I had to now deal with Tiketmaster (what happened to Ticketek?), and Ticketmaster wanted my email address confirmed, which seemed strange because that is how the club always contacts me. Then they wanted my mobile phone number. Bear in mind that Ticketmaster are notorious for hoovering up personal details and then not protecting that data.
Home Affairs Department confirms cyber incident impacting Ticketmaster customers
Can somebody help me understand what is going on, and if there is any way of renewing my memberships without dealing with data thieves.
Data thieves or data sieves?

Membership Update 5th August 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1722843625833.png

Increase of 477 members in 3 days (02/08/24)

Up by 5,894 members from the same month last year (08/08/23 - 61,605)

*Crom membership just over 70,000 reported 30th July

Membership Update 7th August 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1722998673002.png

Increase of 283 members in 2 days (05/08/24)

Up by 6,177 members from the same month last year (08/08/23 - 61,605)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep in mind people like me count as two members (AFL, AFLW, don't even live in SA)

The more they count ridiculous members the less correlation there will be between membership numbers and crowd numbers, no matter who is coach.
I know many of you peeps get angry at the member counting methodology. Sorry, I just don't get it. I suspect it comes from some place in your mind that says: 'Well, if I have cancelled my membership, then the number should be declining!'

Ok, ok, I know you are going to complain about "junk" memberships, like the 1-game memberships, etc. But get real! EVERY SINGLE CLUB does that... And worse! Don't tell me that Richmond, who currently can barely scrape up 20,000 for a game, has over 100'000 fully paid-up multi-game members! They don't! It's all smoke and mirrors for marketing sponsorship deals.

The club would be fricking dumb if they decided not to do the same. It is what it is man! Just accept it. At least when you look at a complete list of all AFL club memberships, you know that ALL the numbers are somewhat inflated, but at least you are comparing apples with apples.

I know many of you peeps get angry at the member counting methodology. Sorry, I just don't get it. I suspect it comes from some place in your mind that says: 'Well, if I have cancelled my membership, then the number should be declining!'

Ok, ok, I know you are going to complain about "junk" memberships, like the 1-game memberships, etc. But get real! EVERY SINGLE CLUB does that... And worse! Don't tell me that Richmond, who currently can barely scrape up 20,000 for a game, has over 100'000 fully paid-up multi-game members! They don't! It's all smoke and mirrors for marketing sponsorship deals.

The club would be fricking dumb if they decided not to do the same. It is what it is man! Just accept it. At least when you look at a complete list of all AFL club memberships, you know that ALL the numbers are somewhat inflated, but at least you are comparing apples with apples.

Oh absolutely, it's not just us. Every club does it and it's likely at the AFL's direction to inflate numbers for sponsorship and broadcast deals.

It's just galling to hear people use membership numbers to defend the club's record and popularity when we know they're completely made up. In fairness that doesn't happen as often anymore because the entire footy community has realised how much of a lie they are.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but Im definitely not angry, and also havent cancelled my membership. Still hold membership as I have for around 20 years now.

Its not about complaining, its about pointing out that you cant expect membership numbers nowadays to correlate to crowd numbers or revenue. Its a smoke and mirrors exercise. If you want reality you have to examine the three things in isolation.

I was pointing out that as someone who lives overseas I count as two members myself, yet will almost never count in crowd numbers. Furthermore someone on a decent merch sale could pay more on gear than both of my annual memberships combined.

Membership Update 12th August 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1723436403208.png

Increase of 708 members in 5 days (07/08/24)

Tracking well above for the month of August compared with same time last year (30/08/23 - 68,535)

Does the Black Diamond membership get priority access for GF tickets?
Priority access in that it guarantees you a ticket if we are a competing club. The same way Platinum tier members are guaranteed a ticket if we are a competing club.

Where the ticket is actually situated is a complete crapshoot.

Membership Update 13th August 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1723510451922.png

Increase of 388 members in 1 day (12/08/24)

Up by 343 members from the same month last year (30/08/23 - 68,535)

Not sure if this was directed at me, but Im definitely not angry, and also havent cancelled my membership. Still hold membership as I have for around 20 years now.

Its not about complaining, its about pointing out that you cant expect membership numbers nowadays to correlate to crowd numbers or revenue. Its a smoke and mirrors exercise. If you want reality you have to examine the three things in isolation.

I was pointing out that as someone who lives overseas I count as two members myself, yet will almost never count in crowd numbers. Furthermore someone on a decent merch sale could pay more on gear than both of my annual memberships combined.
No it was directed at everyone. Yes, we know it is smoke and mirrors. But in reality, the membership has always been smoke & mirrors, with pet memberships, baby memberships, etc etc. They just keep adding more mirrors & create more smoke. Whatever the case, it still remains a general guide to club supporter size & interest - A very valuable indicator to present in marketing the club to potential sponsors.

Is it inflated by some dodgy numbers? We know it is. It always has been, and always will be. So, to be pedantic, take off 10,000 from every club's number, and you probably get a more accurate idea. What's the point though?

No it was directed at everyone. Yes, we know it is smoke and mirrors. But in reality, the membership has always been smoke & mirrors, with pet memberships, baby memberships, etc etc. They just keep adding more mirrors & create more smoke. Whatever the case, it still remains a general guide to club supporter size & interest - A very valuable indicator to present in marketing the club to potential sponsors.

Is it inflated by some dodgy numbers? We know it is. It always has been, and always will be. So, to be pedantic, take off 10,000 from every club's number, and you probably get a more accurate idea. What's the point though?
Yep fair enough and I don't disagree that we are just the same as every other club (though I would prefer the AFL did the exact opposite and all clubs were forced to report on membership revenue rather than "members")

My post was just directed to someone asking why the crowd numbers didn't reflect members which is what I was trying to explain.

I was a member this year but had to cancel, couldn't turn up when the wife had chemo. Ideally I'd love to renew next year with my son, he's been to a couple of games and absolutely loves the Power. Which membership gives us shelter from the elements on those soggy, cold days and nights?

I was a member this year but had to cancel, couldn't turn up when the wife had chemo. Ideally I'd love to renew next year with my son, he's been to a couple of games and absolutely loves the Power. Which membership gives us shelter from the elements on those soggy, cold days and nights?
Sorry for what you are going thru right now friend, with I and everyone else in your club thread and BF wishing you, your wife and rest of the family / friends all the best with her chemo and if you ever need any help or assistance, please always reach out if you ever need support to people close in the Port Adelaide threads or privately.

So glad your son has been enjoying going to the Power games lately. For people that don't know, I'm a Lions supporter by heart (and always will be) but bought a membership at Port Adelaide this year cause going to the footy is the best and always nice to distract yourself from the world around you.

Personally, I bought a 6 game Western Stand membership (given I came back to Adelaide in May). As shown in the map below, it's on the Western Stand of the ground (Essential Open Choice) and entitles you to sit in all L1 but also the odd L2 and most of L3 where you are protected from the conditions. However, the only caveat is it's only GA seating meaning you probably have to get there 60-90 minutes earlier to find a good seat.

Otherwise, you can always buy a reserved seat membership in the rest of the ground but that'll cost a bit more I reckon. Probably best to ask some of the more experienced type people on here but also don't feel bad if you need to email the club also cause they help with all questions regarding membership and seating details.

Again though, wish you, your wife and family and friends all the best with her chemo and as a BF community, we will always support you if you ever need it regarding anything from footy to life (even if we follow different teams) ;)

unnamed.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 Membership - 71,177 as at September 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back