Resource 2024 Membership - Audited Figure 66,015 - New Club Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Today is Bulldogs membership day on SEN. They are selling 3 game memberships for $33. All 18 clubs get a membership day on SEN but this is classic manipulation. Wonder if the AFL will knock out this under $50 membership in the audit.

1718165475685.png

This is an update post from the other couple of months ago.

Given your Power and playing my Lions in the next home game, decided to buy myself a 3 game Western Stand Membership to watch my Lions play and some more footy before the season ends but after getting the tickets last night, came up in my Apple Wallet as GA and no number even though I know it’s between 100-113 200/214-15 and etc.

Did email the club before to know it is a GA seating membership (on Western Stand and the correct seating) and know it’s not reserved but is it normal for my ticket to not have the Western Stand GA membership in the name of it and will my membership card show proof of me being in the right area and not in the normal GA seating on the hill.

Sorry if that was confusing though but just a little concerned when I do rock up to the group in 2 weeks and security people don’t believe I am a WS member given the ticket details.

I don't have an answer for you mate as I don't have this sort of membership, but I think you'll probably be fine. If you're not, there is a membership kiosk near the Southern Gate that will be able to answer your questions. Hopefully they get back to you prior to then, the membership team are generally pretty helpful if you call.

I don't have an answer for you mate as I don't have this sort of membership, but I think you'll probably be fine. If you're not, there is a membership kiosk near the Southern Gate that will be able to answer your questions. Hopefully they get back to you prior to then, the membership team are generally pretty helpful if you call.
Thanks anyways mate, managed to figure out what the issue was so all is good now :thumbsu:

This is fair. I don't consider someone to be a better or worse supporter because they're a member though. I watched every Aston Villa game this season, am I a lesser supporter than someone who has the good fortune of living 10 minutes from the ground?
Honestly? Yes.

Supporters who go to games of their local teams are superior supporters to those that follow teams from afar or choose to only watch in TV.
I have far more respect for a local Crows fan than south Aussies that support the likes of Geelong and Hawthorn.

Going away for work after growing up local is a little different.

My completely made up hierarchy.

1. Local and supports local team by going to as many games as possible (season ticket).
2. Local and supports local team by going to some games.
3. Moved away, but keeps supporting home team in whatever way.
4. Not local, but chooses a team from far away as there are no local teams, but not based in trophies won eg. Cultural similarities, underdogs.
5. Not local and supports team from far away based on success.
6. Liverpool fans.

Last edited:
Honestly? Yes.

Supporters who go to games of their local teams are superior supporters to those that follow teams from afar or choose to only watch in TV.
I have far more respect for a local Crows fan than south Aussies that support the likes of Geelong and Hawthorn.

Going away for work after growing up local is a little different

Agree fully re going to the ground vs TV if you have that option. If I lived in the UK i'd be at Villa Park for every game.

But after that I think it depends on your level of investment, in terms of time, money and emotion. That can be done just as well from the other side of the world in 2024. If you want to follow certain sports, there just isn't a properly equivalent option locally.

Agree fully re going to the ground vs TV if you have that option. If I lived in the UK i'd be at Villa Park for every game.

But after that I think it depends on your level of investment, in terms of time, money and emotion. That can be done just as well from the other side of the world in 2024. If you want to follow certain sports, there just isn't a properly equivalent option locally.

But you never had to fight Zulu’s at New Street or miss the train, had to defend your pub from the Scousers putting the windows through nor missed a job because the boss was a Bluenose.

There’s a lot more to supporting some sports than the game itself. Being local means you have to deal with a **** ton more bullshit to go with the emotional and financial aspect.

I love American sports, so get your point, but I fully accept I’m a level 4 or 5 in that respect, and wouldn’t expect to be treated the same as the higher tiers.

But you never had to fight Zulu’s at New Street or miss the train, had to defend your pub from the Scousers putting the windows through nor missed a job because the boss was a Bluenose.

There’s a lot more to supporting some sports than the game itself. Being local means you have to deal with a **** ton more bullshit to go with the emotional and financial aspect.

I love American sports, so get your point, but I fully accept I’m a level 4 or 5 in that respect, and wouldn’t expect to be treated the same as the higher tiers.
When I moved to the Gold Coast in 1990, the only Port information I was able to get was the Sanfl who won, goals kicked, best players score sheet in the Gold Coast Bulletin once a week. When we entered the AFL there was a bit more detail, but watching a non port/brisbane game meant hoping it was shown on the after midnight replays and remembering to set the video recorder. Watching the port/brisbane games in the Mermaid tavern including the 2004 GF was an experience given the 200 lions supporters vs the 5 random port supporters. The internet had made footy life much more tolerable by the time I moved to Bali in 2011, but finding a bar that was showing a port game was still a mission, and I watched most of those 2011 and 2012 games with opposition supporters for company [many embarrassment/much losses]. Being a supporter in another state or country takes dedication. I don't think you realise how much. Most of those years I was either an interstate or international member.

When I moved to the Gold Coast in 1990, the only Port information I was able to get was the Sanfl who won, goals kicked, best players score sheet in the Gold Coast Bulletin once a week. When we entered the AFL there was a bit more detail, but watching a non port/brisbane game meant hoping it was shown on the after midnight replays and remembering to set the video recorder. Watching the port/brisbane games in the Mermaid tavern including the 2004 GF was an experience given the 200 lions supporters vs the 5 random port supporters. The internet had made footy life much more tolerable by the time I moved to Bali in 2011, but finding a bar that was showing a port game was still a mission, and I watched most of those 2011 and 2012 games with opposition supporters for company [many embarrassment/much losses]. Being a supporter in another state or country takes dedication. I don't think you realise how much. Most of those years I was either an interstate or international member.

I literally live in another country.

Finding somewhere to watch on telly is not as much dedication as those paying to be sitting in the rain at AAMI watching us get beaten in the 140th (for example).

It’s not saying that other support is invalid, just it’s tiered in my mind.

On Tuesday, think it was Tuesday, SEN had Essendon membership day. The deal that day - buy 4 get 4 more for free. Adds to the padding and helps catch Carlton who have beaten them to over 100k this year.

Swans hit 70k the other day. Be interesting to see what their AFLW numbers are, reckon it hit 8k last year.

Membership Update 20th of June 2024

1718870364381.png

Increase of 1,222 members in 8 days (12/06/24)

Up by 4,137 members from same time last year (28/06/23 - 58,082)

Note
- AFLW membership's are now on sale and will be tallied on like last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put $500 lay-by down on a new bike today. Once upon a time that $500 would have gone into the clubs membership coffers.
I just booked a girls' trip to Melbourne for a weekend in mid-September. We will go to Sister Act, visit the Pharaoh exhibition at NGV, shop at Chadstone, and have amazing food and wine with fabulous company. Normally, I don't make plans in footy season that don't involve footy, but I am now totally meh about a club I have supported since 1988.

Membership Update 20th of June 2024

View attachment 2024806

Increase of 1,222 members in 8 days (12/06/24)

Up by 4,137 members from same time last year (28/06/23 - 58,082)

Note
- AFLW membership's are now on sale and will be tallied on like last year

There's no way tons of people are buying memberships lol

They're making it up

I assume they cut off the membership numbers on June 30th?

If Ken is gone before then I'll buy a non-nosebleed section 3 game membership, and go to my first games for 4 or 5 years.
Anyone else?

I suspect the next home game would be a sellout.

I just booked a girls' trip to Melbourne for a weekend in mid-September. We will go to Sister Act, visit the Pharaoh exhibition at NGV, shop at Chadstone, and have amazing food and wine with fabulous company. Normally, I don't make plans in footy season that don't involve footy, but I am now totally meh about a club I have supported since 1988.
Saw the Tutankhamun exhibition at the NGV a few years ago. It was amazing.

I literally live in another country.

Finding somewhere to watch on telly is not as much dedication as those paying to be sitting in the rain at AAMI watching us get beaten in the 140th (for example).

It’s not saying that other support is invalid, just it’s tiered in my mind.
I am a "paying to be sitting in the rain at AAMI watching us get beaten in the 140th" gold-plated supporter. Thanks for recognising my efforts.

Membership Update 28th of June 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

View attachment 2032465

Increase of 1,152 members in 8 days (20/06/24)

Up by 5,289 members from same time last year (28/06/23 - 58,082)

Note
- AFLW membership's are on sale resulting in the increase
never has this been less based in reality

Membership Update 2nd of July 2024 (DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER)

1719900063030.png

Increase of 684 members in 4 days (28/06/24)

Up by 3,920 members from same month last year (24/07/23 - 60,135)

Note
- AFLW membership's are on sale resulting in the increase

Today is Bulldogs membership day on SEN. They are selling 3 game memberships for $33. All 18 clubs get a membership day on SEN but this is classic manipulation. Wonder if the AFL will knock out this under $50 membership in the audit.

View attachment 2017767
I don't think the AFL cut off at $50 in the audit anymore. Pretty sure its now at least a $1 spend. So our memberships from retro guernsey competitions don't count (even if they give voting rights).

Clubs having big increasing membership numbers is great for the AFL's image. So anything to pump up that number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 Membership - Audited Figure 66,015 - New Club Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Back