2024 Membership - New record!

Remove this Banner Ad

The terms & conditions state that if you want to cancel your membership “product” you have to complete an opt out form and send it to the club or complete it at Whitten Oval.
It seems when you join up you automatically go on the Committed Bulldog process and you’ll be automatically renewed every year.
They’re deliberately making it difficult to opt out. I don’t see how you can sign up for just one year. Once the hooks are in the train just keeps on rolling. Perhaps paying in cash (or cheque 😱) is the only way so they don’t have your account details.
It’s just not right !!
Pay by BPay like I did. Eventually.
It only takes 9 months of nagging to get them to provide a legit BPay reference number but other than that it's a breeze.

If people believe that they have valid points (which I agree with, to varying extents), submit it as part of a question of the club's AGM: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/agm

I don't think thing such as auto-renewals if communicated effectively and clearly are entirely wrong, especially in the context that there are a lot of other things that society seems acceptable to be direct debited in this way (gym memberships, phone plans etc.).

So I believe that asking a question or providing feedback on whether such communication such as if the terms and conditions are accessible, clear and presented well, whether the email notifications are sufficient in quality, timing and quantity, etc. would be most effective.

I think people should either cease to be a member or use their power as a member as part of the AGM process to raise concerns, that's only fair - it is a democratic institution after all and if enough people attend and ask questions or feedback as part of the AGM surely the club would make changes in a response to quell discontent or at the very least just to better represent the actions the members desire the club should take (as represented by this thread).

My membership is up to $800 this year. It’s a lot of money when you consider the games flogged off to Ballarat with no replacement game coming back like they did in years gone by.

Hopefully we’re not dealt too many Thursday/Friday night games next year too. Thursday night is especially turd for those of us juggling early mornings with Bulldog induced compulsive drinking.
$1440 here, went overseas this year and gave our tickets to the couple that sits next to us to make sure only Bulldogs sit in our seats.

Received my membership renewal email and it was just on $200 more than what I paid last year with the link to pay it via Ticket Master/Tek (whichever one). Called the membership dept at the club and was told that the amount was wrong as I get discount for 50 years membership and let me know what the correct amount should be (which was closer to last years amount with the expected yearly inflation). Sounded like Ticket ??? just send out the invoices without checking things with the club.

Also luckily my credit card had to be renewed last year so Ticket ?? doesn't have my new card number so I said I'd be paying with cash to stop getting put back onto the yearly automatic cash grab by Ticket ??? and he said that's a good idea, so it sounds like they aren't happy with the Ticket ??? process which is probably forced on clubs by the AFL.

Received my membership renewal email and it was just on $200 more than what I paid last year with the link to pay it via Ticket Master/Tek (whichever one). Called the membership dept at the club and was told that the amount was wrong as I get discount for 50 years membership and let me know what the correct amount should be (which was closer to last years amount with the expected yearly inflation). Sounded like Ticket ??? just send out the invoices without checking things with the club.

Also luckily my credit card had to be renewed last year so Ticket ?? doesn't have my new card number so I said I'd be paying with cash to stop getting put back onto the yearly automatic cash grab by Ticket ??? and he said that's a good idea, so it sounds like they aren't happy with the Ticket ??? process which is probably forced on clubs by the AFL.
That's a glimmer of hope if they aren't happy about it themselves

$1440 here, went overseas this year and gave our tickets to the couple that sits next to us to make sure only Bulldogs sit in our seats.
Is that for a couple of seats? I’ve been ‘Upgraded’ to the Legends Membership apparently. I’ll be expecting a standing ovation when I take my seat at Round One.

I'm glad yesterday was pension day for me. Beside the memberships, I had to pay the $500 Medibank excess for my angiogram hospital stay at Epworth Richmond. (Another reason to hate Richmond!) Looks like no pizza this weekend or for the rest of the year. Not that my cardiologist would be too upset about that.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no problem with anyone purchasing a membership (or subscription to a product for that matter) having their membership product renewed automatically as it is clearly stated in the terms and conditions (and has been for years). Opting out should be made easier though - a tick box online or an automated phone call should suffice to cancel rather than a phone call to an actual person or email to the membership department.

However 2 things I find manifestly unfair...

First I think that it is unfair to default to an annual lump sum payment, rather than automatically put all members on a monthly payment plan (as businesses like Netflix and Spotify do). If someone with multiple family members on the one account doesn't see or receive the email from the club regarding an upcoming credit card payment for thousands, that can cause a great deal of financial hardship, especially currently with the ongoing cost of living crisis.

Secondly the club should not be allowed to change your membership type to a more expensive product without written or verbal permission. An email only asking you to contact the club if you don't want the higher priced membership or membership add on is not good enough.

The problem is, it shouldn't be buried inside terms and conditions. Everyone knows most people don't even read them.

Its like Netflix. When you go to purchase, the small window at the front tells you so clearly, that once you purchase, they will renew it monthly on said date. Also the option to opt out is a simple two or three mouse clicks away. It's not being honest and transparent burying stuff like that. Some people are not even told of price increaes ahead of time either.

It's the lack of transparency and making it hard to cancel that is the issue.

To me, the AFL has a responsibility for the oversight of this issue. It's not good enough to claim that membership is purely the responsibility of clubs. It is little wonder that, as supporters, we love the game but we often have little faith in the AFL as an institution.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Membership - New record!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back