NFL 2024 - Off-Season Player/Coach Updates and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing when you think about how poor the chargers D was with decent talent that he will get another gig. Short memories in the NFL I guess
Some guys just not cut out to be head coaches but still make good coordinators.

Dan Quinn built arguably the worst defense in the NFL as a HC, and either side of that has been a good DC (previous game aside)

Have let my thoughts be known in the Panffers fred
For those not following at home, or switching between the Australian Baseball League semifinals and this wonderful NFL board, the team is the Panthers, and the "wonderful" (sarcasm) David Tepper will be paying both Matt Rhule and Franch Reich to 2026, and now the new first time unproven HC Canales also has a fully guaranteed 6 year contract through to 2029.

I get Tepper is rich but gee whiz...

I imagine it will be 6th coaches by then 2 years of Canales then the new guy.
The bizarre part is they are all fully guaranteed contracts, and there isn't the usual offsetting if the fired coach gets another job elsewhere after termination (eg Rhule is now back in a high paid college job, but the Panthers cant reduce the payments by 1 cent of that salary. Most other NFL coaching contracts have standard provisions around offsetting remaining cash against any new salaries or new coaching income after termination.

Together with the extra years he is giving to even first time HC hires, it is almost like candidates are insisting on danger money or extra protection before agreeing to come to Pantherland. Given Tepper's meddling ways and intolerant approach I can understand why, but the fact that a newbie with nil HC experience like Canales now has more tenure than Reid, John Harbaugh at the Ravens, or McVay and McDermott is just bizarre.

The bizarre part is they are all fully guaranteed contracts, and there isn't the usual offsetting if the fired coach gets another job elsewhere after termination (eg Rhule is now back in a high paid college job, but the Panthers cant reduce the payments by 1 cent of that salary. Most other NFL coaching contracts have standard provisions around offsetting remaining cash against any new salaries or new coaching income after termination.

Together with the extra years he is giving to even first time HC hires, it is almost like candidates are insisting on danger money or extra protection before agreeing to come to Pantherland. Given Tepper's meddling ways and intolerant approach I can understand why, but the fact that a newbie with nil HC experience like Canales now has more tenure than Reid, John Harbaugh at the Ravens, or McVay and McDermott is just bizarre.
It was discussed in the Panthers thread.

When a bad/micromanaging owner kills the brand bad enough....less good or seasoned coaches and GMs would accept that job, so a) he has to hire has-beens or young inexperienced people and b) he has to fully guarantee their contracts to have them accept, they're gonna protect their asses....thus the vicious circle keeps turning if that bad micromanaging owner keeps sucking as an owner.

Same thing Haslam went thru as a new owner of the Browns, but it's gotten better once he learned and got humbled.

Yes, put yourself in Canales shoes, he might never find employment again as a HC if things go as bad with the Panthers as they did with Rhule and Reich, so you have to make it worth the risk. Guys like Reid, Harbaugh, McVay etc can find head coaching jobs any time they want, no need to lock up long term deals when they can keep demanding more money every 2, 3 or 4 years.

Yes, put yourself in Canales shoes, he might never find employment again as a HC if things go as bad with the Panthers as they did with Rhule and Reich, so you have to make it worth the risk. Guys like Reid, Harbaugh, McVay etc can find head coaching jobs any time they want, no need to lock up long term deals when they can keep demanding more money every 2, 3 or 4 years.
It can ruin a career before it even starts.
Like say Lane Kiffin.

If Canales wasn't already hired and I was Tepper, I'd buy the Penrith Panthers and give Ivan Cleary the role with Nathan playing QB.
To be honest Ivan Cleary is probably a better QB than most of the Carolina options right now. Certainly Nath Cleary would be.

The trades of McCaffrey out, and then the decision to trade away DJ, and multiple picks, just to go up a couple of spots and draft Bryce Young, instead of holding pat, or even better trading back a spot or two and getting extra capital, plus the busts in some of the other picks (like Corral in the third round instead of so many needs) and FA acquisitions at key positions, just have to burn that franchise for years.

As a neutral, it is such a shame, because Carolina have had some really quality players with decent approaches to the game, but just never any decent coaching (no I absolutely don't rate Riverboat Ron, nice guy, not a head coach ever). And Carolina is such a great loyal area for fanbases, so much deep seated passion and culture across football, basketball, baseball and athletics for decades. The region deserves productive well run NFL and NBA franchises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I totally get why Canales (or any of the DC/OC, even key position coaches of any standing, or front office staff/scouts) would hold out for extra guarantees, at the moment having the Tepper Carolina Panthers on your resume is just poison, so of course danger money and extra security is justified.

That said, it is a fine line (and especially for players and coaches agents) until that situational reality turns into a exploitative power imbalance where people demand multi year paydays and then just coast into early retirement. Case in point, if Belicheck or Vrabel had ever been willing to consider the Panthers, I reckon Tepper Tapper Tupperware Tidilliewinks would have given them a guaranteed 8-10 years, close to 70-90 million contract, just for the "credibility".

No matter how legendary you are, once you have that sort of payday locked in, if Tippsy Tequlia Tosser Tamperer Teppsy starts messing around and interfering with the team operations and coaching, it must be very easy to just sit back and cruise into the sunset of oblivion, knowing you'll get paid regardless.

I was sure Snyder would be the worst owner we'd see in the modern NFL, I'm not so sure anymore.

Oh I totally get why Canales (or any of the DC/OC, even key position coaches of any standing, or front office staff/scouts) would hold out for extra guarantees, at the moment having the Tepper Carolina Panthers on your resume is just poison, so of course danger money and extra security is justified.

That said, it is a fine line (and especially for players and coaches agents) until that situational reality turns into a exploitative power imbalance where people demand multi year paydays and then just coast into early retirement. Case in point, if Belicheck or Vrabel had ever been willing to consider the Panthers, I reckon Tepper Tapper Tupperware Tidilliewinks would have given them a guaranteed 8-10 years, close to 70-90 million contract, just for the "credibility".

No matter how legendary you are, once you have that sort of payday locked in, if Tippsy Tequlia Tosser Tamperer Teppsy starts messing around and interfering with the team operations and coaching, it must be very easy to just sit back and cruise into the sunset of oblivion, knowing you'll get paid regardless.

I was sure Snyder would be the worst owner we'd see in the modern NFL, I'm not so sure anymore.

I think Snyder is still easily the worst cause of how he treated people. Tepper is just an interfering w***er. When he starts demanding the Panthers cheerleaders have topless shoots for him and has mates then we can have a discussion.

Like GG said, he feels very Haslem like early days , running thru coaches and GMs constantly.

I think he's worse than Haslem mind you. Haslem didn't try to act like he knew what he was doing, he was more than happy to stay behind the scenes, just employed the wrong people, clueless when it came to running a football team. Tepper is front and centre acting like he's a genius and everyone around him is the issue while being just as clueless. At least Haslem kinda knew he sucked.

Haslem>>>Tepper>>>>>>>>>>>>Snyder

To be honest Ivan Cleary is probably a better QB than most of the Carolina options right now. Certainly Nath Cleary would be.

The trades of McCaffrey out, and then the decision to trade away DJ, and multiple picks, just to go up a couple of spots and draft Bryce Young, instead of holding pat, or even better trading back a spot or two and getting extra capital, plus the busts in some of the other picks (like Corral in the third round instead of so many needs) and FA acquisitions at key positions, just have to burn that franchise for years.
I agreed with trading McCaffrey because we were wasting him, and he's now playing another NFCC game, which is where he belongs. Now that you've reminded me of trading DJ Moore, I feel a little sad, "Oh shit, we didn't have to be so drastic." But he belongs in a contender as well.
As a neutral, it is such a shame, because Carolina have had some really quality players with decent approaches to the game, but just never any decent coaching (no I absolutely don't rate Riverboat Ron, nice guy, not a head coach ever). And Carolina is such a great loyal area for fanbases, so much deep seated passion and culture across football, basketball, baseball and athletics for decades. The region deserves productive well run NFL and NBA franchises.
This is an interesting comment with you being a neutral. Because until the last few years, I've been satisfied as a Panthers fan even though we haven't won a SB, or been up there most of the time.

I only went for them cos I go for Penrith. But there came a point where internally, I was like, "I actually like this team, and I like that I go for them". They've shown a bit of spunk over the decades and I like it. Some great players and good/great playoff runs.

Even with losing the SB to the Broncos. I was anticipating the Panthers would win before the season started. So as they were winning, I was enjoying it more and more. I feel bad for the players more than anything for not doing so. I reckon I had more fun following them that season than other fans have had for teams that even won the SB. It's definitely the most fun I've had following a team I go for during the season for any of the teams I go for.

Objectively, Idk about the area deserving a productive and well-run NFL franchise, at least. Charlotte is the derp heartland of Nascar racing, and it's the most pretentious car racing series in the world. I have to dissociate myself when I think of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2024 - Off-Season Player/Coach Updates and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back