2024 Offseason Thread - NBA Draft June 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it safe to say that if Bronny does actually turn into something decent then it doesn’t really take a lot of talent to be a baller but more just getting the opportunity
I think its safe to say that a 4ppg college scorer who isnt a centre isnt going to make it in the NBA

The Red Mamba Scalabrine averaged 15/6 a game for context

I would be very interested to see how many shots go up in a game now versus other eras

Games are so much faster and so little of the shot clock is used on many plays the eye says a lot more shots must be going up than previous eras.

And if so that tells me that more shots = more points. 25 points would have to be the old 20 points etc. (I don’t know that exactly just round numbers)

Also has to push up assist and rebound numbers.

My eye also tells me that guards getting high rebound numbers also coincided with the much faster pace of shots going up.

Fun table if you care.

I'd say guards getting more rebounds is more due to the increase in 3 point shooting, which creates less big men in the lane and longer rebounds.

I would be very interested to see how many shots go up in a game now versus other eras

Games are so much faster and so little of the shot clock is used on many plays the eye says a lot more shots must be going up than previous eras.

And if so that tells me that more shots = more points. 25 points would have to be the old 20 points etc. (I don’t know that exactly just round numbers)

My eye also tells me that guards getting high rebound numbers also coincided with the much faster pace of shots going up.
Guards are getting bigger too and bigs are playing out at the 3 point line

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's an incomplete picture, but I can give you some raw numbers, starting with pace.

1985 - 102.1 possessions per 48 minutes

1995 - 92.9 poss per 48

2005 - 90.9

2015 - 93.9

2024 - 98.5

So yeah, broadly speaking, the pace of game is the highest it's been since the 80s. Starting in the mid 90s it hit a very stable plateau, was constantly around 90-92 possessions, hitting a nadir of 88.9 possessions in the 1999 lockout season.

Around 2013 the pace gradually started to pick up into the 95 possessions range, actually reaching 100 in 2018-19.

Roughly speaking, the 'opportunities' for stats are now inflated by 10%, but that's only taking into account pace. It doesn't take into account new laws - hand checking, zone defence, etc - nor does it take into account style of play, whereby increased emphasis on spacing has seen scoring efficiency balloon.

To use the same period markers

1985 - top offensive efficiency per 100 possessions, Lakers @ 114.1

1995 - Magic @115.1

2005 - Suns @ 114.5

2015 - Clippers @ 112.4

2024 - Celtics @ 123.2

In 2024, the 2015 Clippers' formerly league-leading efficiency would have placed them 24th, below the Nets. You can see how little variance there was between 1985 and 2015, and then the sudden jump in the last decade.

Ultimately the combined increase in pace and offensive efficiency has seen raw scoring numbers skyrocket. It's very hard to compare players from this era with those of past eras accordingly, in a way that was not the case in previous eras.

The average score in 1999 was 91.6 ppg. In 2024, it's up to 114.2. That's essentially a 25% increase.

Something like rebounding, the inflation is more subdued, probably because the increase in pace has been partially negated by the increase in efficiency. Average of 41.7 rebounds in 1999 compared to 43.5 in 2024. Like 4% increase.

Assists is the other big change, naturally, in addition to raw scoring, pace and scoring efficiency. 20.7 assists average in 1999 compared to 26.7 assists in 2024, a 29% jump.

All up, your observation that '25 points is the new 20 points' is about right, given the requisite jumps in pace, efficiency and thus raw scoring numbers. In some cases, like comparing 1999 to 2024, it's literally bang on.

And if titles are say the metric, then bill russell has 11 so he the goat.

Russell > Horry > Jordan/Kareem > Kobe/Duncan/Coops/Magic/Kerr/Ronny Harper/D Fish > Shaq/Curry/Manu/Parker

Wilt Chamberlain is the GOAT, "but he only has two rings."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually feel a bit bad for the kid. Could've stayed in college, get a free education (despite his dad being worth 100s of millions), get to be king of the campus, earn NIL money and then maybe, maybe, get drafted on merit. Instead, LeBron's ego has forced him to spend the next couple of years not playing, being hated on by fans and then getting tossed to the side once dad retires.

I actually feel a bit bad for the kid. Could've stayed in college, get a free education (despite his dad being worth 100s of millions), get to be king of the campus, earn NIL money and then maybe, maybe, get drafted on merit. Instead, LeBron's ego has forced him to spend the next couple of years not playing, being hated on by fans and then getting tossed to the side once dad retires.
We have no idea what Bronny wanted, he might have been pushing for this more than anyone. Sure he could have been 'the king of the campus' but now he will have to settle for being a part of one of the most prestigious sporting organisations in the world. Also he was going to get hate no matter what he did, people are awful and were always going to hate on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back