2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowledgable posters of basketball.

I invite you to contribute and enjoy the basketball during and in the

2024 Paris Olympic Games basketball thread (XXXIII Olympiad)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyus Jones still the best FA available? I like him, thought he'd have been a good Giddey trade/replacement before they went Caruso. Where's he going to end up?

Why didn't GTJ go back to Toronto if they had previously made an offer? Surely can get better than a minimum there and neither team will win anyway

A NYK fan mate of mine thinks Kessler to the Knicks is likely. Anyone heard this?

Tyus Jones still the best FA available? I like him, thought he'd have been a good Giddey trade/replacement before they went Caruso. Where's he going to end up?

Same basic situation as Trent, albeit I think it's more likely for Jones that a team will cut salary to dip into the territory where they can offer him the taxpayer MLE or whatever.

It's kinda amusing, but the bigger picture is that this'll happen to a couple more players a year from now, until the league adjusts to the apron consequences. If people are wondering what those are, in basic terms using the MLE hard caps you at the first apron, and using the taxpayer MLE hard caps you at the second apron.

To wit there are currently six teams already above the second apron - the Celts, Lakers, Bucks, Wolves, Suns & Heat - who can't even access the taxpayer MLE at the moment. These are the teams who last year would have given Trent or Jones at least a middling short term contract. In addition there are a bunch of teams who technically have the full MLE available, but using it would take them above the first apron, which is illegal for any team using the full MLE. It sounds counter intuitive, but that's the new rule. This breaks it down pretty well.

Long story short, there are probably at least six MLE size contracts and 3 or 4 taxpayer MLE contracts yearly that are no longer available - or not feasible - for prospective free agents. I suspect the 'market correction' will end up seeing a lot more role players pre-extending their existing contracts, rather than risk free agency.

Why didn't GTJ go back to Toronto if they had previously made an offer? Surely can get better than a minimum there and neither team will win anyway

I think (?) they made it a while back. If you remember they made a trade with the Kings for Davion Mitchell and Vezenkov - and second round picks - at the time of the draft, which ate up their breathing room below the first apron.

I doubt they want to go above the first apron, so they can't use their MLE to give him $12 mil, or 4/55. There is speculation that Vezenkov might return to Europe, which would theoretically give them the wriggle room to offer something substantial, but it would've been tough on Trent waiting around for that, assuming the Raps even still wanted him.

If you click that link above, you can see that the two interesting teams with the room exception - about $8 mil -available are the Thunder and Magic. They might be two to watch re. Jones, although the Magic just signed Cory Joseph.

A NYK fan mate of mine thinks Kessler to the Knicks is likely. Anyone heard this?

There have been general rumours that the Jazz would entertain offers, but these stories come out about Danny Ainge's players every year. Same with Markkanen. First the leak comes that they're 'available', then there's the inevitable follow-up rumour that 'the price is very, very high'. He'd be a nice get for the Knicks, but you never know with Ainge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyus Jones finally makes his move

1/3.3 mill with Phoenix who have promised him a starting role (would think Beal goes 6th man?)

Talk about fumbling the bag though. Went from 3/45 to 1/3.3 mill . Would wanna hope he balls out this year to get him a big deal next

1/3.3 mill with Phoenix who have promised him a starting role (would think Beal goes 6th man?)

Talk about fumbling the bag though. Went from 3/45 to 1/3.3 mill . Would wanna hope he balls out this year to get him a big deal next
Would surprise me if there weren't better offers out there for him than 1/3.3m

Dunno about fumbling the bag. It's not like he had a poor year, or turned down any lucrative deals that we know of.

More just a victim of circumstances. Got dealt from a playoff team to a dumpster fire, which makes his worth very difficult to assess. Throw in the new cap rules and I think he just got unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back