Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanders should definitely play round 1 if they feel he can play right away. He already has an AFL ready body and the attitude. That video of him shows he's capable already. Macrae should definitely be trialed in defense. Need a sure kicker like Daniel was in the backline. As for Treloar no to a wing role. I feel his hammies wont take it. Have him play Half-foward because he's a good kick for goal with stints in the midfield. For midfield I want see Baz, Bont, Libba with Daniel Treloar & Harmes as the B team. Sanders the 7th mid.

We should just play 11 mids and 11 talls.

Let opposition sides and coaches worry about how to counter that! 🙂

Agree only thing I would add is the mids play the kp roles and the talls play as mids positions Lobb Darcy to the wings etc

Bont, Bailey Smith, Treloar, Libba and Macrae all played 18+ games in 2023.
Bont, Bailey Smith, Treloar, Libba, Macrae and Dunkley all played 17+ games in 2022.

Sanders coming in doesn't mean we have to drastically change the roles of our existing mids. We had Caleb Daniel, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams and a few others having stints in the midfield when required this season; if Sanders can take the space that Dunkley left then that's great for our midfield depth. We've been fortunate recently to have all of our midfielders available for the major of recent seasons but just takes one injury (which shouldn't be out of picture given we a few older players) and suddenly we need that extra midfielder anyway.

In the event that Sanders does cause headaches for our other midfielders time on-ball, then that's excellent. That's what we should be wanting from a high draft pick

Those suggesting Macrae is no longer in the best 22 are going to be in for a rude awakening. It's actually distasteful to undervalue a champion of the club.

If Macrae needs to adapt to change, he'll do that. His personality and drive simply won't allow him to be forced out of the side. There will be a role for him 100%.

Matthew Boyd's career was over before he shifted to defence and got himself an All Australian jumper in a premiership year. In 2014, there were some even suggesting Bob Murphy was done. He becomes All-Australian Captain the following season.

There are words, and then there are those forced to eat them.

Shits me that people still don’t know the difference between his and he’s

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t like it either but sometimes it’s bloody autocorrect and not reading back over the post before posting. How many times when you do read back what you’ve typed do you find some random word/words that have been inserted?

Although a lot of people appear to have written him off already, I’m backing Macrae to get back to his best. He looked to be playing injured a lot, but he’d know himself that he did lower his colours a bit and will do the hard work to get back to his high standards.

He’s a 3-time All-Australian, they don’t grow on trees.

No one is "writing off" Macrae,

Simply put and we all know this you can't have Libba, Bont, Macrae as the on ball trio as it is far too slow, The other 2 are just better now at what they do which isn't an indictment at all on Macrae it's just the reality of playing with 2 of the best mids in the comp.

We need to inject some speed/burst into our midfield asap as well as some significantly better 2 way running again not Macrae's strong points.

I am not sure myself then where his best position then would be however wing is the only one I just don't think he has the physical capabilities to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a sad reality but potentially McRae might no longer be a best 22 option when we have a full slate of health. He has been on the decline since midway 2022, just feel like guys like Sanders, Smith, Garcia, West, Gags might provide a better blend to our current set up alongside Bont, Libba and Treloar. I love McRae but his pace is a huge concern and he seems to be unable to provide any real defensive presence in the guts anymore.
West and Garcia? They need to actually prove they are best 22 and part of the clubs future before we push Macca out for them. And I assume Gags is Gallagher? Hasn’t even played a game yet.

Was clearly hampered by something from the bye onwards last year, was still going at 27 touches a game until the bye.

Last edited:
Those suggesting Macrae is no longer in the best 22 are going to be in for a rude awakening. It's actually distasteful to undervalue a champion of the club.

If Macrae needs to adapt to change, he'll do that. His personality and drive simply won't allow him to be forced out of the side. There will be a role for him 100%.

Matthew Boyd's career was over before he shifted to defence and got himself an All Australian jumper in a premiership year. In 2014, there were some even suggesting Bob Murphy was done. He becomes All-Australian Captain the following season.

There are words, and then there are those forced to eat them.
Completely agree RE: Macrae but I don’t remember at all people claiming Murphy was done. Cannot have been a big crowd?

This was the trigger for my post:

View attachment 1870833
The bloke was All Australian 2019, 2020 and 2021 and then in the squad in 2022. Agree people are writing him off way too quickly, particularly when doing so to make room in the midfield for Harmes, West, Garcia.

Macraes was such an unexpected drop off, I honestly thought he was the type that we wouldn’t see a decline in his game until like 33+

I’m still hopeful he gets back closer to his best, again I’m not okay writing any careers off from the last two years (if they’ve shown something previously anyway) because we’ve been that poorly coached, and basically just a shambles of a team which has not been able to get the best out of many good players. So no it hasn’t been a good environment for success and if someone’s shown they’ve got it ie Baz, Macrae etc then I want to see them in a well drilled, capable side again before I write them off.

With Macrae I fully expect him to find some sort of form, im just not sure what it looks like as even at their brilliant best im not sure playing Bont, Libba & Macrae full time midfield is going to take us forward. Obviously Libba has to play full time mid, Bont is obviously the best and we want him there as much as possible (although I would like to start lessening his load, just to prolong his career & he’s a weapon anywhere you put him anyway)

So Macrae is the main one who has to adapt, and he couldn’t really last year but I expect him to. Gotta remember this kid was drafted as an outside player with pace, elite agility - he used to run from half back to half forward baulking players left & right, and elite inside 50 delivery. He transformed into a pretty dour, but exceptionally consistent inside mid but he has a few strings to his bow.

I’d like him to strip down a few kilos so he can cover the ground better, he doesn’t need his inside mid bulk going forward. And just release the shackles on his game a bit, bring back the sidestep, pick off the damaging options - I honestly think he could be an incredibly damaging forward half player, using his elite vision and the angles he hits no one else can to hit up short kicks inside 50. Basically try and up his hurt factor which he is more than capable of, and worry less about the accumulation which we don’t really need from him.

I’m wary of falling into the trap of filling the forward line with slower midfielders and I’ve said as much over and over here. But having another think about it, it’s a bit of a luxury having guys with as much footballing ability as Macrae & CD seen as ‘extras’.

I’d look at both to fill multiple roles around the ground whilst they’re rotating through the midfield. Sort of like our utilities, both could see time forward/back/mid. Far cry having utilities of that quality compared to plugging gaps with Scott & Hannan. But yeah both need to focus on absolutely maximising their ability to run & cover ground

I think we need to separate "drop-off in form" from "played out of position." I don't have the stats but his midfield minutes were slashed this year, and it wasn't really on the back of a poor stretch of form. I have my opinions about why he has been taken out of the middle but I don't really think his production changed - we just preferred others in there.

I still think Macrae is one of our best options in the middle, but I've no doubt he has the footy IQ and leadership required to reinvent himself if required. Playing off half back like Pendlebury does would be my second preference.

Macraes was such an unexpected drop off, I honestly thought he was the type that we wouldn’t see a decline in his game until like 33+

I’m still hopeful he gets back closer to his best, again I’m not okay writing any careers off from the last two years (if they’ve shown something previously anyway) because we’ve been that poorly coached, and basically just a shambles of a team which has not been able to get the best out of many good players. So no it hasn’t been a good environment for success and if someone’s shown they’ve got it ie Baz, Macrae etc then I want to see them in a well drilled, capable side again before I write them off.

With Macrae I fully expect him to find some sort of form, im just not sure what it looks like as even at their brilliant best im not sure playing Bont, Libba & Macrae full time midfield is going to take us forward. Obviously Libba has to play full time mid, Bont is obviously the best and we want him there as much as possible (although I would like to start lessening his load, just to prolong his career & he’s a weapon anywhere you put him anyway)

So Macrae is the main one who has to adapt, and he couldn’t really last year but I expect him to. Gotta remember this kid was drafted as an outside player with pace, elite agility - he used to run from half back to half forward baulking players left & right, and elite inside 50 delivery. He transformed into a pretty dour, but exceptionally consistent inside mid but he has a few strings to his bow.

I’d like him to strip down a few kilos so he can cover the ground better, he doesn’t need his inside mid bulk going forward. And just release the shackles on his game a bit, bring back the sidestep, pick off the damaging options - I honestly think he could be an incredibly damaging forward half player, using his elite vision and the angles he hits no one else can to hit up short kicks inside 50. Basically try and up his hurt factor which he is more than capable of, and worry less about the accumulation which we don’t really need from him.

I’m wary of falling into the trap of filling the forward line with slower midfielders and I’ve said as much over and over here. But having another think about it, it’s a bit of a luxury having guys with as much footballing ability as Macrae & CD seen as ‘extras’.

I’d look at both to fill multiple roles around the ground whilst they’re rotating through the midfield. Sort of like our utilities, both could see time forward/back/mid. Far cry having utilities of that quality compared to plugging gaps with Scott & Hannan. But yeah both need to focus on absolutely maximising their ability to run & cover ground
Would also like him to become more outside but I wouldn’t describe him as dour. Sure they don’t stand out like 50m bullets or big goals on the run, but the speed, vision and precision on his handball work was regularly amazing and made me wonder how he did it.

Agree with a few of the posters here that our midfield will go back to being a strength.

Over the break we didn’t lose anyone - so hopefully we get to add:

Macrae back to his averages (extra 10 possessions +)
How's he going to do this?

Macrae has been pushed out of a midfield for a reason. It and he was one paced and lacking any real defensive pressure.

Treloar has usurped his role as a starting mid, because of his ability to drive the ball forward.

What Beveridge does with him over the pre-season will be high on my watch list. I just dont see him as a pure mid anymore and he's pretty clearly not a half-forward. Yes, I know it rustles peoples jimmies when his role is called into question and that they take any criticism of players especially Macrea as a personal affront. However the reality is that as a stalwart of the team currently without a defined position he's in need of reinvention before his career drifts off a cliff. Something that comes at some players very quickly.

He's not Matt Boyd with his fanatical dedication to pushing himself that saw him transition from AA mid to the same at hb. A role that Macare isn't really suited to anyways. As always, I'll be happy to eat my words if he proves me wrong.

I dont envy the task that Beveridge has here.
Smith back to his best
This is not a given. He's never really shown that he can hold his own in the middle of the ground. Indeed he's played his best football as a hard working half forward who can use his prodigious aerobic capacity to work up and down the ground. It'd be great if he could do this through the middle of the ground, as we desperately need somebody other than Treloar who can burn their opponent with pace from a centre bounce. However, like Macrae returning to his AA stats accumulating best. I dont think we can just assume that it will happen.
These two alone lift us considerably. Then add:

García with a full preseason
He's a second tier mid at best. He has a hard edge which is nice, but he also has a pretty ordinary disposal skillset.

He's no certainty to be on the list in 2 years.

He's a long way from a starting mid.
West building on his games in the midfield
Another second tier mid.

Perhaps his time will come when Libba hangs up the boots or perhaps it won't. Until then he's destined to life on the fringes of the side. Or worse starvation corner at Half forward.
Harmes as a hard nut that we lack (other than Libba) so great coverage
See above.

He's ok depth thats it.
Sanders - the best pure midfielder in the draft.
He's promising and if he fulfils that promise there's a good chance he will leapfrog over every single player mentioned above in a single bound within 12 months.

This is a truer indication of where our midfield is actually at.

And the club going all in to get him clearly recognised this.
With the star starting line up of Bont, Trelor and Libba - this has to be the best midfield list in the comp.
Indeed. But people have been saying this about our squad since 2016, but anybody who watched this same unit get chewed up and spat out by a young Hawthorn team late last year knows this ranking to be a facile one.

Now about our wings...

Last edited:
Why is Garcia in the conversation? I get people might see potential but you have to produce at some stage. A thread should be started on guys whose hype exceeds out put.
My top three are
1. Nick Kyrgios tennis
2. George Clooney acting
3. Riley Garcia football

Would also like him to become more outside but I wouldn’t describe him as dour. Sure they don’t stand out like 50m bullets or big goals on the run, but the speed, vision and precision on his handball work was regularly amazing and made me wonder how he did it.
Yeah fair, dour probably not the right word and completely agree that he’s very damaging in his own right.

Although he’s progressively lost that flair he came with as his careers gone on. Of course he’s made up for it in other ways but it’s been a career transition unlike any other I can remember really.

Predraft Macrae was such a unique player, agility was just off the charts and he slowly but surely put the baulk away

“The endeavour and arrogance he plays with is great. There were a couple of times where he ran the full length of the ground, it was like he was in the Under 9s, he’d baulk someone, run 30m, baulk someone again, run 20m, and then baulk again.”

Bring it back, we don’t need inside midfielder Macrae but we sure as hell could use that sort of polish on either flank or wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back