Autopsy 2024 Rd 0 - Harry kicks the winner vs Lions

Who played well for the Blues vs the Lions in Round 0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Cruise What GIF
I had a family emergency yesterday 145km each way drive. Still made it home for the start of the game!
(Selfish mf! Lmao)

Reflecting on that first quarter and I just think we tried to play a fast transition game and made the ground way too big and it exposed our lack of speed on the inside. It happened throughout preseason as well. It’s a conundrum. It’s clear that we want to expand our game but I think our personnel does not suite that back half transition game just yet. Either the team need to improve in that aspect or we pray to god that our next draft haul are the best kicks we’ve ever seen with the campo boys and another high draft pick we should be attaining. I don’t even think the style suites Williams and Saad. They are more contested flankers that suite the way we played after quarter time. I still believe we need to be a top 4-6 transition team to win the flag or we will be relying on a front half and stoppage game that rarely gets it done against the best transition teams come finals. Perhaps we can buck the trend though.
Hmm...

While you're ostensibly correct about whether we really have the speed/disposal to play a real half back launching game, I think you're underestimating the quality of Boyd's, McGovern's, Cerra's and to an extent Hewitt's kicking around the ground, nor are Williams and Saad really poor kicks. If we're talking about Docherty, his go is akin to Acres; get the ball 80m downfield as quick as you can. There's room for that sort of thing forward of centre - it's that sort of kicking that made Danger so dangerous, and while Martin was an excellent long kick he also hit more than a few blast and prays which worked out - but you do need better disposal than that out of back half consistently.

IMO, the problem is tempo more than footspeed. We're worldbeaters at contested footy, but ordinary at playing slow footy. Improvement there could come from recruiting superior kicks, but it could also come from improved connection between back half precision and front half legspeed/quick ball movement.

the word luck mentioned in commentary around fog's wonderful tackle and goal near quarter time and cuningham's running goal in the second............give me a spell..........

a minute into the third quarter, that ex abc caller with some of the worst commentating I've ever heard - asking questions of selwood I think and chatting away aimlessly about the noise of the crowd as we build up by foot through the middle - he eventually realizes curnow has goaled and wakes up but quite appalling really............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a minute into the third quarter, that ex abc caller with some of the worst commentating I've ever heard - asking questions of selwood I think and chatting away aimlessly about the noise of the crowd as we build up by foot through the middle - he eventually realizes curnow has goaled and wakes up but quite appalling really............

I think he thought he was chatting to Skull between balls.

:p

Well that was a rollercoaster of emotion.
1st Quarter - Well our preseason did not look great and it is coming home to roost. What have we been practicing all preseason?
We were way too attacking from our back half and exposing ourselves on the counter attack.
2nd Quarter - This is our style of play, contested play.
3rd Quarter - I'd donate my first born to Charlie
4th Quarter - Harry kicking a pressure goal, with a drop punt. Hopefully sets up his season and ours.

Carroll when drafted looked like a bargain pick and hopefully he would make it at AFL level, had some doubts coming into the season. This could be his springboard moment.
Williams - He is the added attacking player in our back half we needed.
TDK - He is a weapon and when his body fully matures, we have one of the better rucks going around.
Harry - Once he develops more game sense in the ruck, it will help reduce the pressure of being judged on his goals kicked.
Fog - We know he cracked into our team due to his pressure acts and he proved that in spades last night. Still probably in our bottom six players, but giving it a go.
Hollands - He was fumbly, he did not touch the ball a heap.... but he still impacted the game defensively. This kid has plenty of heart and someone that looks a little like Lappin, once he develops it will be a lovely sight.

Owies - Hopefully better for the run, but we might want to consider a slightly more dangerous forward.

I still think we stole a win, Brisbane should be upset with some of their kicking for goal.
Best think about last night - aside from grabbing a win, is it very clearly showed the team how to play & how not to.

Just go do that stuff from 3rd qtr please.

Tough to find a spot for Elijah at the moment.

Martin and Motlop still to come back up forward, Walsh to come back in midfield.

I do think he’s best 22 but he might have to do some time in the reserves.
Think he'd come in for Cottrell as a half fwd wing rotation. Reads the play far better than Cotters, but Cotters effort is always elite

Back