Autopsy 2024 Rd 0 - Harry kicks the winner vs Lions

Who played well for the Blues vs the Lions in Round 0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the same thing against the Sunnies last year. Seems like a set play. They want to stop leaking goals so they send Charlie to cover it. Definitely works. He helped to stop the bleeding and then kicked goals the other way. Champion play.

"Sometimes when you can't get involved in the play you need to take the game on. I'm no good to the team if I'm 100 meters away."

- Charlie after the Suns game last year.

When you have the aerobic capacity of our KPF you need to use it. The great key forwards in the modern era (Jeremy Cameron, Nick Riewoldt, Jonno Brown, etc.) all take/took the game on and used their physical tools to the team's advantage. Even without Harry playing some ruck this year I always loved when he'd get on his horse and get down deep. Some of his best footy has come defensive side of center.

Makes the game easier when you have an entire team working hard.

He hasn’t shown enough to come straight in for Cottrell. I think he’ll have to dominate the 2s for a few weeks.
Think he showed plenty in pre season, as did Carroll.

Might not come straight in but I'd have him ahead of Cotters depending on the opponent. Much better ball user and still a strong runner without being Cotts

Fogarty reminds me of those role players we had in the 90s up to early 2000s which we haven’t really had since then until now.

Like a Hulme, Hogg, Freeborn type. Will do the selfless stuff which helps the superstars shine.
Yes. Thought of Dean Rice.

Last edited:
He hasn’t shown enough to come straight in for Cottrell. I think he’ll have to dominate the 2s for a few weeks.

I think we underate the impact of preseason on selection because we don't watch it. If Voss think E.Hollands is best 23 based on what he's seen he'll probably come in so long as he plays well in the VFL during the 1s bye week.

Think he showed plenty in pre season, as did Carroll.

Might not come straight in but I'd have him ahead of Cotters depending on the opponent. Much better ball user and still a strong runner without being Cotts
I think we underate the impact of preseason on selection because we don't watch it. If Voss think E.Hollands is best 23 based on what he's seen he'll probably come in so long as he plays well in the VFL during the 1s bye week.

I definitely believe he’s in our best side and will force his way in, but it’s not as cut and dried as say Cerra and Saad when they were recruited. Especially coming back from a suspension.

Cotters is playing good footy and also a Voss favourite. Going to be a few unlucky boys with everyone fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gabba is a fortress for the Lions. We were down by 46 points to them at their fortress, yet we still came back to win.

This is the kind of resolve that was missing from Carlton for a lot of the past two decades. We still have a few key players to come back as well.

There'll be the odd bump along the road, but let's just strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride. We sent out a big statement to the rest of the competition with that win.

Amazing win. Did not think we were going to get up up there with so many out. Would be fair to have turned the TV off or left the ground at half time. We were dreadful for the bulk of the first half. First half we looked too slow and too unaccountable 0 pressure and not winning the footy. Trying to play offensive footy, not playing close and getting beaten. Sure the too slow issue is there, we can't rely on the game slowing down each week and mounting big comebacks, that's not sustainable but the return of Walsh will go a long way here.

Thought we tightened up around the ball, one on one, close checking, made it more about applying pressure. That created a contested game and brought out backs into play more.

I think we are finding our identity as a team. I would not be against playing a tight and defensive game early and trying to open things up late. It goes with our strength and weaknesses.

It was nearly a mirror of last year's preliminary final. This time it was us mounting a huge comeback to win. So what was different. We were quicker and had more runners in defence. Our defence kept us in this and in the end was an attacking force. Young as I have said is a good fullback but he can't play any other position back there, he was good. Saad did a solid defensive job for the night. Boyd was great. Still running and giving an option late in the game. Williams has some rust but look at his quality, fantastic. Kemp was undersized but played well as did McGovern and gave us rebound. Newman was his usual self.

In the middle we were slaughtered early. I think we are finding our identity as a side. Yes we are slow and immobile and that showed badly in the first half. Brisbane could not exploit that for long enough and as they slowed down and we changed tact we turned the game quickly in there. Cripps, Cerra and Hewett got right into the game. DeKoning was the point of difference. His rucking game was a career best. Pitto was slaughtered in the ruck in the prelim. DeKoning either won the taps or negated the opposition ruckman's taps. For a midfield that lacks speed and agility this is so crucial. We played to our strengths because of this, our size and strength in there come to the fore. Carroll coming on was also a point of difference. His speed and pressure balanced our midfield up. He didn't get a heap of the ball but defensively he got from A to B quickly and made contests out of what was becoming uncontested possessions for Brisbane. He ran and worked hard. Hollands was quiet but crucial. Acres prolific. Late in the game both were still running, Hollands in particular.

I said before the game that McKay and Curnow need to kick quite a few between them and they did. Both played very well. McKay in the ruck, credit to Kreuzer, he was hopeless last season and rucked very well in this game. I'm happy with the ruck layout. Forwards were ok. Fogarty looks an improved player, liked his pressure and closing speed. Cottrell and Cuningham were involved. Fantasia looked dangerous but looks underdone. Hopefully it comes for him. Kennedy was ok but he is a midfielder. Owies looked to fade out, had a quiet game.

Excellent win to beat them up there. Still some good players to come back into that side. Martin, Motlop, Walsh, Marchbank and possibly E Hollands.

Very impressed, some scope for improvement but we look a good side with good depth. Our top end talent is amazing.

So much to love about the performance last night. The thing I loved most was that it was a team effort, that's what wins you these types of games. I'm more interested in that than focusing on individuals. It will be a very good year if they can continue along this path.

Back