Autopsy 2024 Rd 0 - Harry kicks the winner vs Lions

Who played well for the Blues vs the Lions in Round 0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Whe Harry was lining up with 90 seconds to go, you just knew the media had it penciled as a miss and had their headlines and talking points ready for the next day.

Recon a good proportion would have been disappointed he got it as they love a good pile on and sink the boots in.
Mate. Just enjoy the win and let the silly media conspiracies go. They're writing just as much about him for kicking it.

Geez, Harry looked so much more physical and involved last night. Is it the chopping out in the ruck? Whatever reason my draft team is hoping for a consistent season
I have conflicted feelings re Harry's dual role. I can see it works great, but also adds to my viewing anxiety as more risk involved.
And it's only game 1.
a_scary.gif

There have been a few in the media (and on this site) who have attempted to minimise the comeback on the basis that Brisbane missed a number of shots in the third term they by rights should've kicked. The problem with that analysis of the game is, from 59-13 to 61-64, Brisbane kicked two behinds; from start of onslaught to end, they had two credible shots on goal. This checks out when you look at accuracy stats; over the course of the evening, we're only .5% better over 20 shots than they were over 25.

They kicked a number of arsey goals that came from low percentage positions early. McCluggage misses the opener 19/20 times; Ah Chee hit the belly of the ball in just the right way to hit a snap which travelled almost 50m, when a cm in either direction causes the ball to barrel or drop short. If you're going to hit some difficult shots, you're also going to miss some easy ones over the fullness of time.

The most important stat at end of game is the tackles. They dominated us there early, so to be within 1 tackle of them despite outpossessing them is promising beyond belief.

It is important not to get too far ahead of ourselves. Whatever the AFL chooses to call this, this week was round 1 and round 1 throws up some unusual results. If we dished out the footy we played in term 1 against the Brisbane we confronted in the semi, they'd have kicked 80 points instead of merely 59. You cannot allow a good side - even a good side in their first hitout - that much of a leg up on you. Do that later in the year, it's the difference between top 4 and coming 8th.

The thing I like the most about this game was that for all Cripps, Hewitt, Charlie, Harry, Lewis played well, this was a victory for Boyd and Fog and Cotts and Williams. This was a team driven result. They're playing for each other, with the worst on ground still adding plenty to the team. There's skill, pace by foot, grit and power and ferocious intent but also selflessness which I don't think I've ever seen at Carlton except when I was very young.

Finally, if Harry has found his feet - akin to how Steve Smith finds his hands - the entire comp is holding their breath.

I have conflicted feelings re Harry's dual role. I can see it works great, but also adds to my viewing anxiety as more risk involved.
And it's only game 1.
View attachment 1923339
I getcha on that, but he looked far more adept in the ruck than last year. Obviously been training hard on it

There have been a few in the media (and on this site) who have attempted to minimise the comeback on the basis that Brisbane missed a number of shots in the third term they by rights should've kicked. The problem with that analysis of the game is, from 59-13 to 61-64, Brisbane kicked two behinds; from start of onslaught to end, they had two credible shots on goal. This checks out when you look at accuracy stats; over the course of the evening, we're only .5% better over 20 shots than they were over 25.

They kicked a number of arsey goals that came from low percentage positions early. McCluggage misses the opener 19/20 times; Ah Chee hit the belly of the ball in just the right way to hit a snap which travelled almost 50m, when a cm in either direction causes the ball to barrel or drop short. If you're going to hit some difficult shots, you're also going to miss some easy ones over the fullness of time.

The most important stat at end of game is the tackles. They dominated us there early, so to be within 1 tackle of them despite outpossessing them is promising beyond belief.

It is important not to get too far ahead of ourselves. Whatever the AFL chooses to call this, this week was round 1 and round 1 throws up some unusual results. If we dished out the footy we played in term 1 against the Brisbane we confronted in the semi, they'd have kicked 80 points instead of merely 59. You cannot allow a good side - even a good side in their first hitout - that much of a leg up on you. Do that later in the year, it's the difference between top 4 and coming 8th.

The thing I like the most about this game was that for all Cripps, Hewitt, Charlie, Harry, Lewis played well, this was a victory for Boyd and Fog and Cotts and Williams. This was a team driven result. They're playing for each other, with the worst on ground still adding plenty to the team. There's skill, pace by foot, grit and power and ferocious intent but also selflessness which I don't think I've ever seen at Carlton except when I was very young.

Finally, if Harry has found his feet - akin to how Steve Smith finds his hands - the entire comp is holding their breath.
Yes, I think they ran out of legs a bit in 3rd but to be fair we were without a few A graders. It all evens out and we beat them in grand fashion. The comeback, the venue, the weather a win that cant be overstated. They simply could not maintain the level they started with.
We are incredibly fit!

And it's only game 1.
View attachment 1923339

With you. Am torn between not wanting him to bang knees, to giving us and H more versatility

I prefer a chopout ruckman to be a 2nd string KPF, rather than an elite tall forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With you. Am torn between not wanting him to bang knees, to giving us and H more versatility

I prefer a chopout ruckman to be a 2nd string KPF, rather than an elite tall forward
But he does offee something special.
music video 90s GIF

Big shout out to TDK. The Big O dominated against us in the PF. TDK jumping all over him the entire night. Looking like a genuine number 1 ruckman 👏👏👏
TDKs trajectory makes me confident this window we’ve entered is 5-6 years, rather than 2-3. He looks set to become a dominant ruck for a long time. Him, McKay, Curnow, Walsh and Cerra all just entering their primes now.

Serious question, do we have an examples of elite KPF going into the ruck and getting injured? I’ve always been scared of the idea but plenty of people doing it now.

Having Charlie mitigates the risk somewhat too.

Serious question, do we have an examples of elite KPF going into the ruck and getting injured? I’ve always been scared of the idea but plenty of people doing it now.

Having Charlie mitigates the risk somewhat too.

Not sure how many elite, possibly due to limited time spent in the ruck

Witts, NitNat, King × 2, Witts, Goodes, Griffin, Zac Smith, Kepler Bradley, Patton, Schoenmakers, Ottens, Pitto, Grundy and man more

While not all had knee issues in a ruck contest, many have and all have done ruck work. Harry himself was out last year with a knee injury

So, you can understand people being torn with the idea

Not sure how many elite, possibly due to limited time spent in the ruck

Witts, NitNat, King × 2, Witts, Goodes, Griffin, Zac Smith, Kepler Bradley, Patton, Schoenmakers, Ottens, Pitto, Grundy and man more

While not all had knee issues in a ruck contest, many have and all have done ruck work. Harry himself was out last year with a knee injury

So, you can understand people being torn with the idea
Half of those are ruckmen, who rested forward. I think if you’re FT in ruck there anre obvious risks. And Harry didn’t do his knee in a ruck contest?

I get that if you have someone prone to knee injuries, you might not risk it, but I was talking more about evidence that people hurt themselves in ruck contests proper. I’m not saying I love the idea, just curious about the evidence for it being a risky move.

Anyone being honest would agree with this. The tough close loss looked a monty when Saad couldn't hang on to the greasy ball and spilled the mark.

Unbelievable effort really. You and others have butted heads over Russell, but to have us fit enough to do what we did is a real credit to our pre-season as a whole. They had blokes cramping and I didn't notice any of our guys, except maybe Owies, who was understandably underdone.

Brisbane still get us for speed, but we get them when it slows down. The good thing is we have speed to add in Walsh, Motlop, Martin and EH. They can't add much and now lose Coleman.
A poster in the game thread described it as "pissweak". Saad, pisswork.

I read that in the pre-season about Carroll coming back bigger and stronger and was expecting a small gorilla to be wearing 16.

He may be stronger but he’s much much leaner looking. Got that Paul Kelly (footballer not singer) hungry Roo dog look about him.
yes please

This was our first win against Brisbane since 2019

That was David Teague's first game as caretaker coach and in that game we had another comeback win.

Brisbane led by 37 points in that game as well
crippa went full psycho?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 0 - Harry kicks the winner vs Lions

Back