Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t left a game early in my life.

Not proud of it but did today. Pathetic effort. I can cop shit - I’m 29 and have seen nothing but shit following the Blues my entire life.

What I can’t cop is that pathetic half arsed effort. Injuries aside, that is the worst performance I have witnessed live - maybe because of the expectation and the fact that this team is nowhere near as poor as what they showed today. They just never wanted it

There is something seriously seriously wrong with our footy club.

Injuries just added to the malaise, what I want to know what specifically happened after quarter time in round 19? Have injuries completely derailed the year? Is this why Russell has been effectively sacked? Why have we gone back to the same well at every opportunity? How many first year players have we actually given a game to this year? So how do we actually measure them?

Absolutely annihilated on the field and in the coaches box. Voss needs to get off the bench and back into the box. In reality he should be sacked but no chance Sayers does that.

Embarrassing, pathetic, disgusting, gutless. There's just so many adjectives you could use. We are completely shite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you imagine, your whole bloodline following the Hawks, reminding you that they’ve won 4 premierships since my birth to our 0, went through a rebuild and have overtaken us again in the same time?

What a miserable day. Miserable.

I’ve been biting my tongue for a couple weeks now thinking just one win will make it all click, oh how foolish I was/am.

I honestly, genuinely, from the bottom of my heart think this club is about to implode from within, we may need to make some drastic changes come years end.

I’d get rid of Vossy, think he’s respectfully inept compared to a majority of the other coaches in the league. but that won’t happen, I don’t think.
Feel your pain. My wife, daughter and sister all Hawks supporters. I even bought my daughter a blues jersey when she was 3, but she ditched it a few years later in favour of the brown and yellow. Kind of glad for her she did - being a blues supporter is a tough gig.

Game plan is outdated, we bomb it so much we don’t run or provide options anymore…

We lack KPD (Gov & Kemp liabilities)

We lack in midfield outside of Cripps and our small forwards are non existent most weeks.

We don’t have the B graders to take us the next step, because we pay our a graders too much.

Hawks have gone passed us and they have heaps of cash to spend.

Haven’t left a game early in my life.

Not proud of it but did today. Pathetic effort. I can cop shit - I’m 29 and have seen nothing but shit following the Blues my entire life.

What I can’t cop is that pathetic half arsed effort. Injuries aside, that is the worst performance I have witnessed live - maybe because of the expectation and the fact that this team is nowhere near as poor as what they showed today. They just never wanted it

There is something seriously seriously wrong with our footy club.
Lots of gold after a big loss.. the things I saw and heard after our record shellacking to North in the 00’s is something I’ll always remember.

I love you all.

Well done Hawthorn. Too good today. Good luck in the finals.

Bring on the off field clean out.

In Brian Cook we trust.
Unfortunately Cook signed off on Voss’s extension early this year, that doesn’t happen to inspire my trust!
There was no need to do it & look at us now 😢

Last edited:
To go from a potential top two team to that rabble we've just seen is a shocking collapse in form.

Our list has issues, we have injury prone players etc, but Vossy won't survive another poor year in 2025.

I do have every trust in Brian Cook's ability to make the right calls at the end of the year. Of course we might still make the finals, but we'll only be making up the numbers.

Last year was a flash in the pan sadly. We still have a fair bit of work to do, before we're ready to win a flag imo.

To me, all of this falls on the match committee and in turn, Vossy.

So many times we’ve chosen to rush back players and not trust nor even give anyone in the VFL a chance, now it’s come back to bite the whole club on the backside.

There’s almost no way we make finals, and even if we somehow did, we’d just be making up the numbers.

So the question truly is, what now?

Injuries just added to the malaise, what I want to know what specifically happened after quarter time in round 19? Have injuries completely derailed the year? Is this why Russell has been effectively sacked? Why have we gone back to the same well at every opportunity? How many first year players have we actually given a game to this year? So how do we actually measure them?
You can just see us playing Charlie, McGov, Saad, Fog etc next week just to not play kids. Even Acres is hurting with a bad shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back