Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because McGovern is an over-rated footballer.
Always has been.
Didn't want him recruited, want him even less after the last few weeks.
Always injured, can't handle pressure, doesn't lift in big moments.
He needs to play CHF this week. We'll see how that goes.
Hopefully he kicks a few to pump up his trade value.
For a good kick, kicking out of bounds after the siren to win the match against the filth was atrocious.

How the **** do you get it that wrong??

For a good kick, kicking out of bounds after the siren to win the match against the filth was atrocious.

Couldn't handle the moment.
At the time I thought oh well, even Sticks did that.
The difference is though that Stick's redeemed himself.
McGovern's kicking in the first half against Hawthorn cost us goals.

A bit rough taking him to task over that, there's countless examples of players missing shots that were easier earlier in the game that weren't taken under pressure at all. 1.8 in the first quarter was where the game was lost, it should never have come to having to kick a goal after the siren to win.

McGovern has been pretty good in doing his job this year. How do our forwards miss shots from 10-15 metres out?

Anyway, there's a lot of players who should be gone before McGovern. I am not a person that gets angry over football games but I wasn't too happy with Martin taking Fogarty out like he did through sheer stupid and selfish play.

I don't rate Kingy's analysis much. Says you can't expect the same product with the injuries we have, yet there were only 2 changes on the weekend from the team that beat Geelong by 10 goals 8 weeks ago. TDK is good but I don't think he's worth 14 goals lol (or the 6-8 goals you'd probably say we lose by had players not gone down mid-game).

No, we were going to lose anyway because they are far quicker and instinctive than us.

Our injuries have served to make us less dynamic in the midfield. We are losing the hitouts, so our slower mids can't get the ball and Pitto can't burst out of stoppage like TDK can. We are a midfielder down in the 6-6-6.

Plus we are slower in our backline than most opposition forward lines, and our key tall defenders are undersized to boot. As much as people love Newman and his production, he is slow and he can't play tall. He's there for reading the play and his footskills, but he needs others to cover for him when it comes to defensive running. I'm trying to think who his role reminds me of. Possibly Grant Birchall. You have to have the right pieces around you in order to have the luxury of these guys.

the schultz Knee to the head may have contribute to that. I dont believe Gov was seeing things clearly and should have gone for a HIA. Allowing another to take the kick.

A bit rough taking him to task over that, there's countless examples of players missing shots that were easier earlier in the game that weren't taken under pressure at all. 1.8 in the first quarter was where the game was lost, it should never have come to having to kick a goal after the siren to win.

McGovern has been pretty good in doing his job this year. How do our forwards miss shots from 10-15 metres out?
Im not singling him out to denigrade him.

Hes the type of player that most would expect to do a better job of that.

If he was to have another shot I would feel comfortable with him taking it. I think he is a good kick in general.

the schultz Knee to the head may have contribute to that. I dont believe Gov was seeing things clearly and should have gone for a HIA. Allowing another to take the kick.
Possibly but early on in the hawthorn game he still wasn’t seeing things clearly unfortunately …

Its not over till its over, but, its over.

We will have the following unavailable:

TDK
Curnow
Fog
Saad
Martin
Boyd
Cerra
Cottrell
Marchy
Cuningham
Doch
JSOS
Fantasia
Corey Durdin
Carroll
O'Keefe

Out of those 16, at least 11 of those are best 22
. So we are playing terribly, at a low ebb, AND have half a side out.

Plus I am 99.9999% certain Walsh's back is playing up.

Sides who turn bad runs of form around have the majority of their best side available.

Its pretty similar to how drugged up Essendon fell of a cliff in 2012, though I doubt we tried anything as "creative" as they did.

Herein lies Carlton's problem. That some of those names are still considered best 22. Its why we've played one finals series in a decade.

Couldn't handle the moment.
At the time I thought oh well, even Sticks did that.
The difference is though that Stick's redeemed himself.
McGovern's kicking in the first half against Hawthorn cost us goals.
Yet he kicked a goal after the siren from the same spot to draw with Collingwoid while playing for Adelaide coming from 50pts down. He got Carltonised!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 6 years of massive injuries we know where the problem lies. It eventually cooks a side Hamstrings and repeat hamstrings.

A number of places I'm hearing is that Russell picked up training 6 weeks ago in preparations for finals. Now he has resigned. Still rumour until fact but the thing is all we have got is injured again and totally cooked physically. Whatever it is ot has cost us a genuine shot at the flag, which I think has angered most of us.

Lets hope some of our VFL boys can get in into the 8 somehow.May get thumped first week but the experience will be good for them.

Yet he kicked a goal after the siren from the same spot to draw with Collingwoid while playing for Adelaide coming from 50pts down. He got Carltonised!
Maybe???
First half last week was terrible though.
He was the last person that should have been attacking team mates like he was.

Woeful is a bit harsh and agree I want to see him forward … I feel he has some attacking flair and would release some pressure … go and try and have fun and kick a few …

He was awful as a forward, it's why he was moved back.

Terrible leading pattern & no work rate (probably because he didn't know where to run). He was a dead eye kick for goal which was his only trait.

He's ok down back, just needs to be a sole 3rd tall to play on the weekly spud every team has in their fwd line, not sharing it with Kemp or playing half a KPD. Reads the play fine when it's coming in that way, has a big leap, can spoil, is quick & kicks both feet.

Back 6 needs to be given a mulligan right now due to the midfield giving them absolutely no chop-out whatsoever.

Kemp is woeful mate …gov is more experienced so you expect more but gov is 10 times the player kemp will ever be …. Kemp is the biggest liability and lets his teammates down time and again … big forwards small forwards doesn’t matter .. kemp makes way too many mistakes … I say put him forward but he can’t kick

That's what happens when you put a natural ball hunter and creator in defence. The worst position you could put him.

Kemp needs to be up the field. He is a natural footballer. A few times on the weekend I watched him run through the middle and deliver it well inside fwd 50.

We are killing him

100% its absolutely where he should go permanently

Hopefully we get what's his face from GWS and Vossy reads big footy, I could handle seeing H, Charlie and Kempy in the F50. Throw in EH, a Jack Martin lookalike with a robust body and Owies perhaps (before anyone comes at me; 29 goals 13 from 21 games and actually stays on the park).

Single biggest improvement we could make is to get in players who actually play more than not.

Kemp is woeful mate …gov is more experienced so you expect more but gov is 10 times the player kemp will ever be …. Kemp is the biggest liability and lets his teammates down time and again … big forwards small forwards doesn’t matter .. kemp makes way too many mistakes … I say put him forward but he can’t kick
I really hate Gov's attitude though. Always found him to be soft and whenever it suits him he will lift...
CLosely watched him over the weekend, I thought his spray at Kemp was pathetic.
At times gov just watches his opponent take marks, look in the mirror before spraying others...Maybe I'm just jealous how good his brother is..

Last edited:
I think Ollie hollands is the worst player I’ve personally seen in a Carlton jumper…just my opinion

He might get good in the future - but no idea why he starts every week , he is not fit for AFL right now.

People saying ‘’he gives it his best try’’ are the problem, the pat in the back for effort garbage won’t win us flags.

I assume Walsh isn't 100%.

The Sam Walsh running around lately is not the Sam Walsh I remember.

As for Kemp, if you have a defender who clearly has attacking flair and keeps going for marks instead of spoiling... Sounds like a forward lol.

I really hate Gov's attitude though. Always found him to be soft and whenever it suits him he will lift...
CLosely watched him over the weekend, I thought his spray at Kemp was pathetic.
At times gov just watches his opponent take marks, look in the mirror before spraying others...Maybe I'm just jealous how good is brother is..
finally some one else who notices Gov lack of accountability

Lets have a look who we have beaten this year -
Brisbane early when they were shite - Geelong when they were shite - Essendon they are shite) Port when they were shite ,
Richmond twice , North twice , Freo we stole the game in Adelaide, Melb by a point fell over the line, Giants early in the piece, Gold Coast down here , Notice a trend there - We have not beaten much and therein lies the problem we aren't that good and the media built us up as Flag Contenders - what a bloody joke .

Lets have a look who we have beaten this year -
Brisbane early when they were shite - Geelong when they were shite - Essendon they are shite) Port when they were shite ,
Richmond twice , North twice , Freo we stole the game in Adelaide, Melb by a point fell over the line, Giants early in the piece, Gold Coast down here , Notice a trend there - We have not beaten much and therein lies the problem we aren't that good and the media built us up as Flag Contenders - what a bloody joke .

That includes the current 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the ladder.

It's the kind of year you could make a case for no-one actually being very good. That is the sad thing - we are as good as anyone given an even run of luck. We've just had things go wrong at the wrong time.

That includes the current 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the ladder.

It's the kind of year you could make a case for no-one actually being very good. That is the sad thing - we are as good as anyone given an even run of luck. We've just had things go wrong at the wrong time.
I think that's the thing, it doesn't really feel like we've had a bad run of luck. Most of our injuries aren't contact/collision related.

It feels more like we've got this wrong ourselves. That's the bit that's incredibly frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back